Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "2014" Spec R1200GS LC  (Read 7315 times)

Offline lecap

Re: "2014" Spec R1200GS LC
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 09:34:51 am »
I was watching the RFS Econorun on the Bike Show this weekend and there was one crash. A new R1200GS LC got a tank slapper on a straight road. There have been jornos reporting about a similar issue at the launches so I hope the damper sorts the problem out.

There's a review on IOL including a comment on the crash.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/bikes-quads-karts/rfs-bike-econorun-is-not-for-sissies-1.1571794#.UmVoY2thiSM

The tank slap saga is a myth maliciously created and propagated by Oom Danie aka. 2Stroke Dan and his crook online friends.
It's also a myth that there ever was a tank slapping 2013 R1200GS without steering damper and the introduction of the 2014 steering dampened model won't affect the resale value of a 2013 model.
Anyway the 2014's steering damper is only a hollowed out placebo dud without any mechanical function since the bike never tank slapped to begin with and it was all the tires fault too although it's claimed there was nothing wrong with the tires.
???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Callie GS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 03:29:18 pm »
I fully agree with you Lecap , done 10000 km`s on mine without any mayor tankslap!
If you are not scared of your dreams , they are not big enough!!

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:36 pm »
The report about the economy run crash lacks technical detail and substance.

"The only casualty was veteran racer Reg Gurnell, who got into a huge tank-slapper on a brand new, liquid-cooled BMW R1200 GS late on the first day; he rode it out, but by then the bike was off the road and it spat him off as the front wheel hit the ditch. Gurnell walked away with a sprained wrist and a bruised elbow, and spent the rest of the 2013 Econorun making rude comments at the rest of the riders."

The proper investigation revealed that it was not the bike's fault.  Do you really believe that BMW quickly went out and designed the damper after the launch to kill the unsubstantiated remarks in the press?  And if there was an issue, do you really believe the the damper is the quick and easy solution?

I still see that the most problems with these bikes are experienced by people who have not ridden and do not own the bikes.  The more I ride it, the more I believe this.....  O0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:25:27 am by SGB »
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:13 pm »
What he said!  :deal:

Offline lecap

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:48 am »
The report about the economy run crash lacks technical detail and substance...

The proper investigation revealed that it was not the bike's fault.  Do you really believe that BMW quickly went out and designed the damper after the launch to kill the unsubstantiated remarks in the press?  And if there was an issue, do you really believe the the damper is the quick and easy solution?
This comment "was not the bikes fault " also lacks any technical detail and substance :evil6:

No I believe BMW quickly went out after the launch and added the steering damper to kill substantiated remarks in the press.

I know the steering damper is the quick and easy solution.

I still see that the most problems with these bikes are experienced by people who have not ridden and do not own the bikes.  The more I ride it, the more I believe this.....  O0

...you say tank slappers were experienced by people who have not ridden the bikes? Like Reg Gurnell.

Interesting ::)

BMW owners ???

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 08:58:12 am »
I ride and own a K50 and really wish to know about all the known faults to look out for. I am frustrated by the fact that most of the discussions are in fact led by individuals reporting on what they heard/read regarding the bike.

I have internet, I googled the bike extensively before buying. I read all the reports, good and bad. I then went to BMW and booked multiple test rides on the K50. Only then did I buy.

Nobody is denying that there have been incidents of headshaking/tankslapping reported, however as an owner of a K50 I am reporting along with fellow onwners of the bike that I have not experienced this while riding the bike. I have not been able to replicate it even when I read detailed reports of riders claiming it happens when you decellerate rapidly with no hands on the bars (Not sure why the F*ck you would want to do that but I tried it anyway!)  and still nothing.

All I am asking is if you have any information regarding issues with the K50 that you have experienced first hand, I would love to discuss that so I can ensure that I take care of those in collaboration with my dealer.

I have not met a single owner of a K50 that is unhappy with the bike and still report that I absolutely love mine. Why is it that everyone is trying to prove how terrible it is? I am OK with someone posting new information regarding incidents in a factual manner, I am not OK with comments that insinuate that all owners of K50's are dimwits who requires education by the masses.

OK, so I am having a k@k day to start with and had to let it out someway. Enjoy the day.

Online BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 09:25:33 am »
I ride and own a K50 and really wish to know about all the known faults to look out for. I am frustrated by the fact that most of the discussions are in fact led by individuals reporting on what they heard/read regarding the bike.

I have internet, I googled the bike extensively before buying. I read all the reports, good and bad. I then went to BMW and booked multiple test rides on the K50. Only then did I buy.

Nobody is denying that there have been incidents of headshaking/tankslapping reported, however as an owner of a K50 I am reporting along with fellow onwners of the bike that I have not experienced this while riding the bike. I have not been able to replicate it even when I read detailed reports of riders claiming it happens when you decellerate rapidly with no hands on the bars (Not sure why the F*ck you would want to do that but I tried it anyway!)  and still nothing.

All I am asking is if you have any information regarding issues with the K50 that you have experienced first hand, I would love to discuss that so I can ensure that I take care of those in collaboration with my dealer.

I have not met a single owner of a K50 that is unhappy with the bike and still report that I absolutely love mine. Why is it that everyone is trying to prove how terrible it is? I am OK with someone posting new information regarding incidents in a factual manner, I am not OK with comments that insinuate that all owners of K50's are dimwits who requires education by the masses.

OK, so I am having a k@k day to start with and had to let it out someway. Enjoy the day.

You are wasting your breath here. You will always get people with strong opinions, based on hearsay and not their own experience. I have learned to ignore posts from certain persons on these forums, and to take the positive with me.

But then on the other hand I have discussed these so called tank slap issues with a couple of very experienced riders, I would venture to say maybe THE most experienced dual purpose riders in South Africa, and was told that ANY bike could develop a tank slapper in the correct conditions.

I certainly have not experienced any instability issues whatsoever to date. Enjoy your bike Lord Knor!

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:39 am »
I will aim to do just that :-) Normally I do ignore all the comments and stirring.

Last night I read with interest a conversation thread regarding the KTM 1190 and noted how all the owners love their bikes yet are able to collaborate regarding the faults and issues on the launch edition. What was most noteworthy was that there are no comments from non-KTM riders regarding the bike and the issues or the intelligence of the riders. Great thread.

I must say, after reading it, the 1190 sounds like an awsome bike, teething problems or not.

I note that there are some teething problems with the K50. Some more severe than others. I get pissed off when I report that I have not experienced an issue nor observed any of those problems on my bike and then get comments that BMW riders are supposedly deaf, blind and mute.

Believe me, if there is the slightest issue on my bike Donford knows about it in 5 minutes and I keep nagging till they resolve it.

To date, great service from Donford and great experience on the K50!

Online BikerJan

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 10:55:37 am »
Could not agree more Knormoer, if any of the niggles reported by other owners on this thread, or the Adventure thread was experienced by me, I would have pestered and moaned at BMW until it was resolved.

Luckily all the issues were resolved by the time I bought the bike, or I were just plain lucky.

I also share your sentiments on the issues experienced with other bikes, on those threads the riders have a chance to discuss the problems experienced by them, or some of the bike repair shops discuss how these were resolved. Why we have to endure these lashing I am not sure.

Offline Dcjet

• Bike: Douglas (all models)
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 11:28:09 am »
I have a good relationship with my local dealers lead mechanic who has always looked after all three of my BMW's (K25, K50 and G650X) incredibly well and a few days ago I was asking him about the steering damper. He said he had just come back from a training course and the BMW version of events is that the steering damper is a production line change. The LC Adventure and the LC RT required a steering damper due to the different weight distribution of the bikes. He says BMW elected to put the steering damper on all LC's that share the same frame as a production line efficiency.
I have done about 7 000 km on my LC encompassing commuting, race track and rough gravel and haven't experienced and handling problems.
This does not mean that the K50 definitely has no problems but makes a lot more sense than some sourpuss bulshitter from the Western Cape who has never been near the bike and posts insulting remarks about the owners/riders of the K50. 

Online BikerJan

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 11:46:49 am »
I have a good relationship with my local dealers lead mechanic who has always looked after all three of my BMW's (K25, K50 and G650X) incredibly well and a few days ago I was asking him about the steering damper. He said he had just come back from a training course and the BMW version of events is that the steering damper is a production line change. The LC Adventure and the LC RT required a steering damper due to the different weight distribution of the bikes. He says BMW elected to put the steering damper on all LC's that share the same frame as a production line efficiency.
I have done about 7 000 km on my LC encompassing commuting, race track and rough gravel and haven't experienced and handling problems.
This does not mean that the K50 definitely has no problems but makes a lot more sense than some sourpuss bulshitter from the Western Cape who has never been near the bike and posts insulting remarks about the owners/riders of the K50. 

:thumleft:

This explains the issue for me!

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 11:51:22 am »
I still want one, just because I want everything  ;) However, as I said before the upgrade looks expensive.  Many other farkles needed before this one get's to the top of the list.

Online BikerJan

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 12:12:56 pm »
Just got the Ackrapovic slip on, hope I can get it fitted tonight

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 01:00:45 pm »
Lekker! Laat weet hoe klink hy vir jou. Hy lyk veral goed met modder op  8)

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »
The report about the economy run crash lacks technical detail and substance...

The proper investigation revealed that it was not the bike's fault.  Do you really believe that BMW quickly went out and designed the damper after the launch to kill the unsubstantiated remarks in the press?  And if there was an issue, do you really believe the the damper is the quick and easy solution?
This comment "was not the bikes fault " also lacks any technical detail and substance :evil6:

No I believe BMW quickly went out after the launch and added the steering damper to kill substantiated remarks in the press.

I know the steering damper is the quick and easy solution.

I still see that the most problems with these bikes are experienced by people who have not ridden and do not own the bikes.  The more I ride it, the more I believe this.....  O0

...you say tank slappers were experienced by people who have not ridden the bikes? Like Reg Gurnell.

Interesting ::)

BMW owners ???

Lecap you are shouting from the top rows of the grand stand by the sound of your comments.  In this case I am on the field with a number on my shirt.   I have listened to the allegations.  Ihave listened to people who experienced the "problems".  There was an issue with a batch of tyres.  But other than that the bike is fine.  To confirm, I ride the bike quite regularly.  There is no need for panic.  And the spectators will continue to shout and fight on the side line whilst the players enjoy the game.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 10:31:56 pm »

You are wasting your breath here. You will always get people with strong opinions, based on hearsay and not their own experience. I have learned to ignore posts from certain persons on these forums, and to take the positive with me.

But then on the other hand I have discussed these so called tank slap issues with a couple of very experienced riders, I would venture to say maybe THE most experienced dual purpose riders in South Africa, and was told that ANY bike could develop a tank slapper in the correct conditions.

I certainly have not experienced any instability issues whatsoever to date. Enjoy your bike Lord Knor!

+1000  :thumleft:
Ek kan byvoeg, ek het nou ook al 'n paar keer met hoe spoed gery asook met my vrou agterop tot op so 190.
Verlede naweek weer Tankwa toe, 2up op die grondpad, cruise 120km met geen probleem.

Soos jy se, daar sal altyd iemand wees wat die K50 kak praat.
KDX 200
YFZ 450
BMW R1200GS LC
BMW R1200GS ADV LC
Current: R1200GS ADV LC

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:18 am »
I still want one, just because I want everything  ;) However, as I said before the upgrade looks expensive.  Many other farkles needed before this one get's to the top of the list.

Ons moet die vrae alles hou vir die 10de Nov wanner die K50's bymekaar kom by Donford...
KDX 200
YFZ 450
BMW R1200GS LC
BMW R1200GS ADV LC
Current: R1200GS ADV LC

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 11:39:15 am »
Post by Sithe deleted - stay on topic please gentlemen   :thumleft:

Offline lecap

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 12:19:21 pm »
I have a good relationship with my local dealers lead mechanic ... I was asking him about the steering damper. He said he had just come back from a training course and the BMW version of events is that the steering damper is a production line change. The LC Adventure and the LC RT required a steering damper due to the different weight distribution of the bikes. He says BMW elected to put the steering damper on all LC's that share the same frame as a production line efficiency.

What a crock of rubbish!
Does this dude himself believe the story he's giving you?

Every person with only a tinge of an engineer's mind will be able to confirm that sharing parts between the bikes will be done if it's cost efficient.
As an example your lead mechanic can tell me that for reduction of parts diversity and streamlining of the supply chain and less stock keeping they make all bikes with identical suspension parts which allow the fitment of the steering dampers in the models that need one.
Means all the new 1200's would have the mounting points for the dampers as this is likely more cost effective than producing 2 different front suspension telelever control arms.
Then he tells me that they put a steering damper onto the 2014 R1200GS LC which as we all agree does not need it. Because it's more efficient to put it there than to simply leave it away ???

Maybe I should summarise what I said:
I did NOT say the bike is unstable. I can not say this because as you know don't have one and have not experienced it myself.

I DO say BMW has added a steering damper to the 2014 model (which I take as a proven fact since it has been reported and confirmed repeatedly).
I also DO say BMW would not do this only because it looks pretty. And definitely not because it's cheaper to fit a steering damper than to leave it off.

Besides that we have a number of riders, some of them rather experienced, who came off or not: One got killed, some got injured and some reported tank slappers.
Could have happened on any bike.
Except that few other bikes get upgraded with steering dampers they don't need within less than a year.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:02:45 am by lecap »

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:21 pm »
I have a good relationship with my local dealers lead mechanic ... I was asking him about the steering damper. He said he had just come back from a training course and the BMW version of events is that the steering damper is a production line change. The LC Adventure and the LC RT required a steering damper due to the different weight distribution of the bikes. He says BMW elected to put the steering damper on all LC's that share the same frame as a production line efficiency.

What a crock of rubbish!
Does this dude himself believe the story he's giving you?

Every person with only a tinge of an engineer's mind will be able to confirm that sharing parts between the bikes will be done if it's cost efficient.
As an example your lead mechanic can tell me that for reduction of parts diversity and streamlining of the supply chain and les stock keeping they make all bikes with identical suspension parts which allow the fitment of the steering dampers in the models that need one.
Means all the new 1200's would have the mounting points for the dampers as this is likely more cost effective than producing 2 different front suspension telelever control arms.
Then he tells me that they put a steering damper onto the 2014 R1200GS LC which as we all agree does not need it. Because it's more efficient to put it there than to simply leave it away ???

Maybe I should summarise what I said:
I did NOT say the bike is unstable. I can not say this because as you know don't have one and have not experienced it myself.

I DO say BMW has added a steering damper to the 2014 model (which I take as a proven fact since it has been reported and confirmed repeatedly).
I also DO say BMW would not do this only because it looks pretty. And definitely not because it's cheaper to fit a steering damper than to leave it off.

Besides that we have a number of riders, some of them rather experienced, who came off or not: One got killed, some got injured and some reported tank slappers.
Could haver happened on any bike.
Except that few other bikes get upgraded with steering dampers they don't need within less than a year.

:thumleft:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.