Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "2014" Spec R1200GS LC  (Read 7316 times)

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Re: "2014" Spec R1200GS LC
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 08:48:43 pm »
Agreed, BMW had to respond to the press reports.  They had to fix a tyre problem by adding a damper.  And the tyre guys fixed the tyres.  And KTMs have dampers std.  Logical thing to do.  But I am not having sleepless nights because my bike does not have one.  Sometimes manufacturers have to do things for reasons other than pure engineering.  BMW will continue to outsell everything else.  Damper or not.  And with good reason.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Online BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 09:26:02 am »
I have a good relationship with my local dealers lead mechanic ... I was asking him about the steering damper. He said he had just come back from a training course and the BMW version of events is that the steering damper is a production line change. The LC Adventure and the LC RT required a steering damper due to the different weight distribution of the bikes. He says BMW elected to put the steering damper on all LC's that share the same frame as a production line efficiency.

What a crock of rubbish!
Does this dude himself believe the story he's giving you?

Every person with only a tinge of an engineer's mind will be able to confirm that sharing parts between the bikes will be done if it's cost efficient.
As an example your lead mechanic can tell me that for reduction of parts diversity and streamlining of the supply chain and less stock keeping they make all bikes with identical suspension parts which allow the fitment of the steering dampers in the models that need one.
Means all the new 1200's would have the mounting points for the dampers as this is likely more cost effective than producing 2 different front suspension telelever control arms.
Then he tells me that they put a steering damper onto the 2014 R1200GS LC which as we all agree does not need it. Because it's more efficient to put it there than to simply leave it away ???

Maybe I should summarise what I said:
I did NOT say the bike is unstable. I can not say this because as you know don't have one and have not experienced it myself.

I DO say BMW has added a steering damper to the 2014 model (which I take as a proven fact since it has been reported and confirmed repeatedly).
I also DO say BMW would not do this only because it looks pretty. And definitely not because it's cheaper to fit a steering damper than to leave it off.

Besides that we have a number of riders, some of them rather experienced, who came off or not: One got killed, some got injured and some reported tank slappers.
Could have happened on any bike.
Except that few other bikes get upgraded with steering dampers they don't need within less than a year.

Where did you obtain you "Engineers Mind" kind sir?

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 09:27:47 am »
Op 'n ligter noot, of dan dieper noot, hoe klink die Acro BikerJan? Is hy al op?

Offline lecap

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 10:20:22 am »
I have a good relationship with my local dealers lead mechanic ... I was asking him about the steering damper. He said he had just come back from a training course and the BMW version of events is that the steering damper is a production line change. The LC Adventure and the LC RT required a steering damper due to the different weight distribution of the bikes. He says BMW elected to put the steering damper on all LC's that share the same frame as a production line efficiency.

What a crock of rubbish!

Every person with only a tinge of an engineer's mind will be able to confirm that sharing parts between the bikes will be done if it's cost efficient.
As an example your lead mechanic can tell me that for reduction of parts diversity and streamlining of the supply chain and less stock keeping they make all bikes with identical suspension parts which allow the fitment of the steering dampers in the models that need one.
Means all the new 1200's would have the mounting points for the dampers as this is likely more cost effective than producing 2 different front suspension telelever control arms.
Then he tells me that they put a steering damper onto the 2014 R1200GS LC which as we all agree does not need it. Because it's more efficient to put it there than to simply leave it away ???

I did NOT say the bike is unstable. I can not say this because as you know don't have one and have not experienced it myself.

I DO say BMW has added a steering damper to the 2014 model (which I take as a proven fact since it has been reported and confirmed repeatedly).
I also DO say BMW would not do this only because it looks pretty. And definitely not because it's cheaper to fit a steering damper than to leave it off.

Besides that we have a number of riders, some of them rather experienced, who came off or not: One got killed, some got injured and some reported tank slappers.
Except that few other bikes get upgraded with steering dampers they don't need within less than a year.

By hanging around Universities and Technikons and getting my mind muddled with weird engineering stuff.
By working in mechanical engineering (general mechanical engineering, aerial work platforms, automated and computer controlled dosage of oils, greases, pastes & glues (I know more about the sealing of the Oilheads than you may think :D ) & CNC programming and manufacture. Then I did motorcycles for almost two decades.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online BikerJan

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:08 am »
Op 'n ligter noot, of dan dieper noot, hoe klink die Acro BikerJan? Is hy al op?

Knormoer, hy klink baie baie nice. Ek is baie tevrede. Die pyp klink baie dieselfde teen lae enjin las. Sodra jy die kraan oopmaak, grom hy baie dieper as die standaard pyp.

Die gevolg is dat teen konstante snelhede, klink hy baie dieselfde vir my.

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 10:38:36 am »

What a crock of rubbish!

By hanging around Universities and Technikons and getting my mind muddled with weird engineering stuff.
By working in mechanical engineering (general mechanical engineering, aerial work platforms, automated and computer controlled dosage of oils, greases, pastes & glues (I know more about the sealing of the Oilheads than you may think :D ) & CNC programming and manufacture. Then I did motorcycles for almost two decades.

You sound like a fairly educated gentlemen . Maybe get a job at BMW, help them design bikes that don't crash  :thumleft:
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline lecap

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 01:18:47 pm »
You sound like a fairly educated gentlemen . Maybe get a job at BMW, help them design bikes that don't crash  :thumleft:

No hell I grew up around the corner and considered that. But they only had positions for guys designing non rattling inner door covers.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 07:31:19 pm »

No hell I grew up around the corner and considered that. But they only had positions for guys designing non rattling inner door covers.

All the LC crashes are due to tank slap. Can't think of another reason why a rider would crash  :dontknow:
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 09:24:02 pm »

All the LC crashes are due to tank slap. Can't think of another reason why a rider would crash  :dontknow:

My friend is right. We are all Riding Gods or at least Minor Riding Deities. If I fall it is always the bike that does something stupid. Like the last fall was due to the stupid designer who did not anticipate that I would park my bike on top of a mole's house. Stupid bike.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline jpvdwal

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 08:09:04 am »
Was daar al ooit gepraat van n steeringdamper op n 1200gs of n 1150 gs?nog nooit.Dis nie nodig want daar is genoeg gewig op die voorwiel daarom het ons almal smileys.Toe kom die nuwe LC1200.Aanvanklik baie goeie reviews.Toe begin die stabiliteits rumors.Eers is bande die Skuld gegee??Al ooit dit gehoor op ouer bikes??Namate meer verkoop meer rumors.Die BikeShow se aanbieder wil n bietjie rondry met nuwe maar skryf bike af op eerste stuk grond !!Het n pel wat na een trip Parys toe bike inruil op ou Adventure Ons wag daai dag heeltyd vir hom en later oor n bier śe hy die bike wil hom afgooi.Steeds wil niemand die erken nie.Nou skielik kom nuwes met n damper uit dis nou toeval!!Iemand wat plastics ry weet n damper in is bandaid vir n swak suspensie setup.Dis nie n probleem as jy dit kan regstel manueel met springrate compression en rebound,maar die ding is nou elektronies Wat nou??Maklik sit n damper op want daar is geen ander opsie.

Online BikerJan

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2013, 08:58:37 am »
Was daar al ooit gepraat van n steeringdamper op n 1200gs of n 1150 gs?nog nooit.Dis nie nodig want daar is genoeg gewig op die voorwiel daarom het ons almal smileys.Toe kom die nuwe LC1200.Aanvanklik baie goeie reviews.Toe begin die stabiliteits rumors.Eers is bande die Skuld gegee??Al ooit dit gehoor op ouer bikes??Namate meer verkoop meer rumors.Die BikeShow se aanbieder wil n bietjie rondry met nuwe maar skryf bike af op eerste stuk grond !!Het n pel wat na een trip Parys toe bike inruil op ou Adventure Ons wag daai dag heeltyd vir hom en later oor n bier śe hy die bike wil hom afgooi.Steeds wil niemand die erken nie.Nou skielik kom nuwes met n damper uit dis nou toeval!!Iemand wat plastics ry weet n damper in is bandaid vir n swak suspensie setup.Dis nie n probleem as jy dit kan regstel manueel met springrate compression en rebound,maar die ding is nou elektronies Wat nou??Maklik sit n damper op want daar is geen ander op
sie.

Dit is baie vreemd. My bike het nou net meer as 4000 k's op, ek het tot dusver geen onstabiliteit issues ervaar nie. Die LC is volgens my ervaring HEELWAT meer stabiel op grons as wat my 2012 GS was.

Die bike hanteer regtig baie baie goed, ek is tevrede om nie 'n damper te he nie

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 06:43:24 pm »
Jan, ek het nou al opgegee met die argument :-)

Na 5000km nog geen stabiliteit probleem nie. Was vandag uit op 'n paar lekker grondpaaie insluitend Ou Houwhoek Pas by Botrivier. Groot pret! Ek is egter steeds versigtig met grond en het nooit oor 160km/h op die paaie gery nie.

Online BikerJan

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 01:17:27 pm »
Jan, ek het nou al opgegee met die argument :-)

Na 5000km nog geen stabiliteit probleem nie. Was vandag uit op 'n paar lekker grondpaaie insluitend Ou Houwhoek Pas by Botrivier. Groot pret! Ek is egter steeds versigtig met grond en het nooit oor 160km/h op die paaie gery nie.

Klink lekker! Moet se, ek hou ook so tussen 100 en 140 op die dirt highways  ;D

Online BikerJan

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 02:43:38 pm »
Lord Knormoer, ek dink jy moet bele in 'n Ackrapovic exhaust. Hy klink al hoe lekkerder, veral wanneer bietjie gas gegee word! Piston Pete doen baie goeie deals!

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 04:15:53 pm »
Ek sal met hom praat, was juis Vrydag daar vir 'n boerie en 'n koue een.