Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikers leaving gates open in the Tankwa Karoo  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
Re: Bikers leaving gates open in the Tankwa Karoo
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 07:51:03 am »
A farmer may not at will put up a gate on any public road and same goes for cattle grids. Lots of red tape to get permission, erect boards etc. Cannot understand people, suddenly the farmer's word is in doubt, simply because he said it was bikers who left the gate open. Why would he lie? Like I said, ask any person living on a rural road who used the road and they will tell you who drove there and at what time. Quite simple to determine who was the culprit on a road carrying only a few cars a day.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Stofdonkie

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:06 am »
Ek stem, Bie.

Hier's 'n klomp hoog geagte lede op hierdie forum wie se naweek plesier baie belangriker is as die doen-en-late van die mense wat daar bly.

Dis net 'common decency'. Maar hier's te min 'decency' en te veel 'common' in die rondte.

:xxbah:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:30:46 am by Stofdonkie »
Carpe BM.

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:27 am »
I'm in contact with the farmer.....trying to hold up our end!  :thumleft:
:thumleft:
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2013, 07:58:25 am »
It might not be WD's leaving gates open....I don't think anyone is against the idea.....my suggestion is to post this topic on all biking & related forums please.
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline LOKI_CPT

• I just rubbed it and now I have a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Im the Batmans Nemisis
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 08:01:26 am »
It might not be WD's leaving gates open....I don't think anyone is against the idea.....my suggestion is to post this topic on all biking & related forums please.

Good for being in contact with the farmer Pete.
That was going to be my suggestion, don't want those roads closed off.  :thumleft:
New year - New beginnings

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 08:54:06 am »
A farmer may not at will put up a gate on any public road and same goes for cattle grids. Lots of red tape to get permission, erect boards etc. Cannot understand people, suddenly the farmer's word is in doubt, simply because he said it was bikers who left the gate open. Why would he lie? Like I said, ask any person living on a rural road who used the road and they will tell you who drove there and at what time. Quite simple to determine who was the culprit on a road carrying only a few cars a day.

It was just a question, if the farmer is so sure it is bike riders then they can possibly also tell who the bikers are ??  the fact remains that most members on Wild Dogs are considerate, most of us do respect land owners and most of us do close gates, it is how we roll.

I am surprised that there are so many people pointing fingers when they have nobody to really point the fingers at.  ??? Stofdonkie, how are you so sure it is members of this community, I find your post offensive,

We often go riding as a group through those areas, we always open and close gates, so who is to blame, I don't see anyone on this forum putting their hands up saying it was them yet there are members here willing to throw other Wild Dogs under the bus without any form of reliable information.

It is all fair getting hold of the farmer.. great, but what is the solution, next week another bunch of okes who are not Wild Dogs come rolling through and leave the gate open again.

Maybe we should focus on solving the issue rather than finger pointing..
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline GRyPH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Some things can't be done cautiously!
Bikers leaving gates open in the Tankwa Karoo
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 08:56:11 am »

Good for being in contact with the farmer Pete.
That was going to be my suggestion, don't want those roads closed off.  :thumleft:

+1

Not finger pointing Just to let the farmer know this is a minority of people leaving gates open and not all bikers.
Focus on the journey, not the destination.

Offline Rooikat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 09:04:23 am »
Why do they just assume it is bikers ??

I don't think it is fair to say bikers are now welcome, maybe they just should have said assholes who can't read are not welcome.

Farmers aren't stupid. They read the tracks.
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:18 am »
ok, moving on.. what is the solution
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline jeff

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2013, 09:16:30 am »
Pete tell the farmer you are a Doveton and you are related to me some where on the family tree , he will soften up quickly , he is a good friend of mine (been moaning at me for a while about the bikes). he will not be not unreasonable if you tell him you are going to try and do something about it .
"Love the life you live. Live the life you love"

Bob Marley

Offline ZK1

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:17 am »
Not sure what it will cost, but to restore the faith in the Wild Dogs and bikers, get the dogs together that ride in that area and get some signs made maybe? Maybe a sign that the farmer can change to "Keep Open" or then "Please Keep Closed" for when he needs his animals to walk free or then to keep them in.
2012 Yamaha XT660z (Sold)
2007 KX250 2T (Sold)
2002 CR250 2T (Sold)
1998 CR125 2T (Sold)
1990 KX125 2T (Sold)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:16 am »

I don't think it is fair to say bikers are now welcome, maybe they just should have said assholes who can't read are not welcome.
Bikers leave tracks

O yes and a bike track means that a biker left the gate open

Could have been the car before the bike, or the car before that or the car from the previous day.

::)
We that grew up on dirt roads know that the fresh track is the one that runs over those of earlier and or the day before ....

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2013, 09:39:28 am »
Pete tell the farmer you are a Doveton and you are related to me some where on the family tree , he will soften up quickly , he is a good friend of mine (been moaning at me for a while about the bikes). he will not be not unreasonable if you tell him you are going to try and do something about it .
Will do Jeff  :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:22 am »
I wanted to stir, and very successful :ricky:

However, note there is a huge difference between a Public road, which is a national, provincial or regional road and cannot be obstructed, and a Servitude road, which belongs to the land owner. He can legally onl erect a gate on a servitude road

Is it a public road? YES
Does the land belong to the public? NO
Does the land belong to the farmer? YES

Its called a Road Servitude

In my opinion a servitude road is a servitude road and never a public road. A public road belongs to a government or a municipality or someone but not to the farmer.

Servitude gives certain people the right to use the road. Normally a land owner, or guests of a guest house etc. Yes it can be broad to include almost anyone.
My question is in which situation can this include everyone the whole public to allow us all to just use the road?
Are the farmers not just lenient to allow us passage?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:41:42 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2013, 09:42:24 am »
ok, moving on.. what is the solution
Just close the gate as requested. There is no need to even debate this issue. :sip:

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2013, 09:46:50 am »
I really cannot understand why some get their balls in a knot. Where were the culprits pointed out as being Wilddogs? They were identified as bikers and I suppose with good reason, finito. Suddenly some forum members became defensive and questioned the farmer's judgement. Being all defensive makes it seem the shoe fits some. I cannot handle such immature bullshit, ffs.
The solution is simple, close the fucking gate.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2013, 09:48:00 am »
To put in motorgates is very expencive as the roads department tells you how it
should be done and what kind of construction. If it is a servitude or public road and
not fenced in the farmer may put in gates on the road. The fenceing of those is done
by the roads department not the farmer. He may fence it if he wants to or can afford.

The question is not if the riders were WDs but they are bikes and thus combed under
the same comb as always.
Example if a quadbike plays up and down on the same road and the people living
in the area without having seen the quad will say it was a bike. They only go by
the sound. Thus giving bikes a bad name.

MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline meteldog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:40 am »
I really cannot understand why some get their balls in a knot. Where were the culprits pointed out as being Wilddogs? They were identified as bikers and I suppose with good reason, finito. Suddenly some forum members became defensive and questioned the farmer's judgement. Being all defensive makes it seem the shoe fits some. I cannot handle such immature bullshit, ffs.
Well put. to quote the farmer "Please help me find out who, or which biking group that drive through my farm, continuously leaving the gates open"
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2013, 10:01:24 am »

the only reason it gets my balls in a knot is "bikers" leaving my gates open

if it was a dude in a car would he have gone to car magazine forum and complained there ???

or the 4x4 forum ???

the guys that pimp their vw's forum perhaps ???

sure if we can help him great!

i have never left a gate open that i have found closed

whenever we ride the first guy opens, waits for everyone and he is then in the back only having to open and close again when he gets in the front

now this wont work for the roosters cause they have to always be in the front - they cannot ride behind someone, i think we should investigate the KTM riders first!

it must be someone on a KTM i'm sure  :peepwall:

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2013, 10:02:43 am »

Bikers leave tracks

O yes and a bike track means that a biker left the gate open

Could have been the car before the bike, or the car before that or the car from the previous day.

::)
We that grew up on dirt roads know that the fresh track is the one that runs over those of earlier and or the day before ....

aaaah yes a fresh track was the one that left it open, cause a old track could not have done it  ::)