Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikers leaving gates open in the Tankwa Karoo  (Read 3775 times)

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Bikers leaving gates open in the Tankwa Karoo
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:42 am »
The motorbike community cannot win, even if you try your utmost.

999 guys can go through the gate and close it, and the 1 guy/group comes through, leave it open
and fingers point to bikers leaving the gate open   :-\

Solution would be for the farmer to erect a little sign on the gate to say that the gate should
be closed at all times.  :deal:

::)

It takes only ONE open gate to loose animals. And it takes only ONE lost animal to become die moer in.

The solution is not the farmers responsibility.

that is the same as arguing you had right of way when a taxi hits you, when its done its done and being de moer in and point fingers will not solve the problem

we all close gates, so this thread adds no value to us

but the guys that dont close gates will still not close gates

the farmer has 2 options

1. lock the gates
2. fit cattle grids

seeing as they are into tourism, camping, etc no 1 is not an option

the only real solution is no 2.

Offline Stofdonkie

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2013, 11:48:49 am »
.............AND IF THE GATE IS ON A PUBLIC ROAD AND THUS UNLAWFUL

Voetfout.
Carpe BM.

Offline Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2013, 11:49:57 am »
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.

Offline Eendstop

• Race Dog
  • Too many fools around
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:37 am »

Voetfout.

15-40. Match point.

Stoopid thread of wat?. Maak net die bleddie hek toe. Maklik. Wag ek moet werk in plaas van ander mense opsetlik moerig maak en dit geniet.
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline Stofdonkie

• Grey hound
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:13 pm »
Maak net die bleddie hek toe. Maklik. Wag ek moet werk in plaas van ander mense opsetlik moerig maak en dit geniet.

Easy.

(Die Sandveld se stinkluise hou mens maar so voor die rekenaar die tyd van die jaar.  ;D )
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:00:36 pm by Stofdonkie »
Carpe BM.

Offline tulips

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:30 pm »
The solution is simple leaving the gate as you found it or as suggested follow the instructions and always ride slowly past homesteads shed livestock etc.  Best to stop and greet

BUT how can we be sure which is private and which is servitude ?  if its on the land survey map is it servitude ?? or on streetmaps ?? many will know this spot South of Niewhoudville  cutting across to the R355 is this a servitude or the farmer taking a chance gatvol of the city mense ??its a moer of a loop around  and not to far after the gate there are yield signs etc at the y junctions

I do feel for the farmers, can someone please advise how we determine servitudes

Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline Stofdonkie

• Grey hound
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:05 pm »

I do feel for the farmers, can someone please advise how we determine servitudes

Good question. I would also like to know.

BUT, ... a servitude road is NOT a public road. It's only for the use of the local inhabitants. Usually a short cut over someones land to get to a main road or such. Not meant for public use.
Carpe BM.

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2013, 12:05:17 pm »

Voetfout.

15-40. Match point.

Stoopid thread of wat?. Maak net die bleddie hek toe. Maklik. Wag ek moet werk in plaas van ander mense opsetlik moerig maak en dit geniet.
Eendstop jy is darem voorwaar uit op die gatkrap vÍmore. ;D Jy as n lawman weet mos
daar mag hekke op n  publieke pad wees. Classic voorbeeld is tussen Sutherland en Merweville.
Dis publiek en daar is hekke.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »
Servitude road

Offline Eendstop

• Race Dog
  • Too many fools around
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »
Eendstop jy is darem voorwaar uit op die gatkrap vÍmore.

>:D. Het lekker gelag vanmore :lol8:
Bietjie misleiding en subtiele belediging klits ouens goed op.  Dis so maklik om mense te beheer. Beheer sy emosies en jy beheer hom. Ag dis lekker oppie forum!
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline leon1ee

• Pack Dog
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2013, 12:55:19 pm »
We have used the rock on top of the post to designate last rider to close but you right Bie...first guy opens & closes...it works :thumleft:

That is our rule and it works. Some poepol can not understand the concept and now we all brushed with the same paint brush
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2013, 01:28:56 pm »
Wassie ekkie...

Offline Oros

• Race Dog
  • Triple Black is the new Orange
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2013, 01:29:23 pm »
Eendstop jy is darem voorwaar uit op die gatkrap vÍmore. ;D Jy as n lawman weet mos
daar mag hekke op n  publieke pad wees. Classic voorbeeld is tussen Sutherland en Merweville.
[/quote]

We just did that route on Saturday, must have opened & closed about 30 gates but what a ride down the pass.
We also passed an old ox wagon from days gone buy.
Kawasaki KDX 175, Honda CR 250R, Yamaha XT 250, Honda CRF 450, Honda XR 600, Honda XRV 750, Honda Varadero 1000, KTM 950S, KTM 950 Super Enduro, KTM 990R, BMW GS 1200

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2013, 01:59:44 pm »
We have used the rock on top of the post to designate last rider to close but you right Bie...first guy opens & closes...it works :thumleft:

That is our rule and it works. Some poepol can not understand the concept and now we all brushed with the same paint brush

The rock on post might work for some, but not nessesarily for the land owner. Many a time a group of bikes are stretched out over several km with 30 minutes between first and last bike. Now the gate is opened, a rock placed on the post and you fark off leaving the gate unattended. That is poor form as you cannot say stock will not go through the gate during that time. Worst even is if one of the bikes at the back breaks down or gets a puncture or a rider takes a tumble as that 30 minutes can then easily stretch to 1 hr. That is simply unacceptable and enough to get any landowner well worked up.

I am totally diselusioned with some of the responses here. Never thought there are WD's feeling this way about gates and a landowner complaining. Maybe best to advocate it and lock my own gates too, then you guys can ride gravel highways and tar.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:01:47 pm by Bie »
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »

We just did that route on Saturday, must have opened & closed about 30 gates but what a ride down the pass.
We also passed an old ox wagon from days gone buy.
[/quote]
If you closed that many gates and passed that ox wagon you went through that gamefarm
and not down Rammelkopas did you? ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2013, 02:13:03 pm »
Bie, all I hear from you is judda judda.. how about making some suggestions on how to solve the problem.

The culprits were not identified as Wild Dogs but there have been posts insinuating it, as the_BOBNOB says , the broad sweeping statements are laughable.

Loads of chit chat, but no real solution. The reason is because there are 100's of bikers crossing paths all those regions EVERY weekend, I assure you only a very small percentage are Wild Dogs.

bikers do stupid things all the time, on Wild Dogs it was announced that if you go to the Eikebos environmental fun ride you have to be on a road worthy bike.. so I told my son, sorry he can't go, only to pitch up and see loads of okes on plastics.. I didn't come on here and enquire as to why people pitched up on plastics.

Maybe a simple solution is to put a spring on the gate, you open it, spring closes it, if the farmer wants the gate left open there is a latch to hold it open

Sometimes it is juts a simple solution that is required instead of drilling a biking community that probably had nothing to do with the open gate in the 1st place.

Do you read before you post?
Or does the shoe maybe fit?

Bie and others posted the best solution, the person who opens the gate closes it, end of story, no confusion, just a working solution.

Bitching about the farmer being right in generalizing is like bitching about having had right of way at a traffic light after a taxi has already skipped it and put you in hospital, it will change fuck-all to the outcome.

If you open a gate, close it, personally, do not leave it up to someone else, fuck it is really that simple guys.

You are totally missing the point, maybe I need to brush up on my english.

If the problem exists with not closing gates, do we at least agree on that.. posting a solution which involves 'closing the gate behind you' is not really a solution, it is more common sense which we accept.

The issue is finding a solution to having gates closed. I have yet to read one solution on this thread..  saying 'hey okes.. close the gate' is not a solution.

Why..

Because some other chop who does not know better will just ride through and leave the gate open.. well there goes your amazing solution.

If I was a farmer, and I had a problem with gates being left open I would sit and think up a solution that works, it may include better signage, spring on the gate, cattle grid.. something besides people on a forum saying ' hey, close the gate' because clearly it does not work. I think it is safe to assume none of us are the culprits, we have all given our pledge to opening and closing gates correctly. but that is not helping the farmer who is still sitting with the same problem.

I dunno, maybe I am not being clear enough, I will bow out of the thread knowing I at least tried to get through to some people. Good luck to the farmer.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2013, 02:17:51 pm »
Bie, all I hear from you is judda judda.. how about making some suggestions on how to solve the problem.

The culprits were not identified as Wild Dogs but there have been posts insinuating it, as the_BOBNOB says , the broad sweeping statements are laughable.

Loads of chit chat, but no real solution. The reason is because there are 100's of bikers crossing paths all those regions EVERY weekend, I assure you only a very small percentage are Wild Dogs.

bikers do stupid things all the time, on Wild Dogs it was announced that if you go to the Eikebos environmental fun ride you have to be on a road worthy bike.. so I told my son, sorry he can't go, only to pitch up and see loads of okes on plastics.. I didn't come on here and enquire as to why people pitched up on plastics.

Maybe a simple solution is to put a spring on the gate, you open it, spring closes it, if the farmer wants the gate left open there is a latch to hold it open

Sometimes it is juts a simple solution that is required instead of drilling a biking community that probably had nothing to do with the open gate in the 1st place.

Bie and others posted the best solution, the person who opens the gate closes it, end of story, no confusion, just a working solution.

Bitching about the farmer being right in generalizing is like bitching about having had right of way at a traffic light after a taxi has already skipped it and put you in hospital, it will change fuck-all to the outcome.

If you open a gate, close it, personally, do not leave it up to someone else, fuck it is really that simple guys.

If the problem exists with not closing gates, do we at least agree on that.. posting a solution which involves 'closing the gate behind you' is not really a solution, it is more common sense which we accept.

The issue is finding a solution to having gates closed. I have yet to read one solution on this thread..  saying 'hey okes.. close the gate' is not a solution.

Why..

Because some other chop who does not know better will just ride through and leave the gate open.. well there goes your amazing solution.

If I was a farmer, and I had a problem with gates being left open I would sit and think up a solution that works, it may include better signage, spring on the gate, cattle grid.. something besides people on a forum saying ' hey, close the gate' because clearly it does not work. I think it is safe to assume none of us are the culprits, we have all given our pledge to opening and closing gates correctly. but that is not helping the farmer who is still sitting with the same problem.

I dunno, maybe I am not being clear enough, I will bow out of the thread knowing I at least tried to get through to some people. Good luck to the farmer.

Fussy Muffin  maak net die hek toe agter jou gat   :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Online Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »
The rock on post might work for some, but not nessesarily for the land owner. Many a time a group of bikes are stretched out over several km with 30 minutes between first and last bike.

Maybe with the BMW club, but not with the people I ride with.......

Offline DSNewbie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »

Why..

Now that sure is a lot of judda judda as you put it  :lamer:

You are right, you do not get it, quite typical of people always looking at others to find solutions for them.

The farmer is thinking about the solution, and not long before he thinks locking the gates or getting the road closed is the solution.

In the end, just close the gate behind you, try it just once, it works  :thumleft:

Offline DSNewbie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »

Why..

Fussy Muffin  maak net die hek toe agter jou gat   :ricky:

There ypu go, most people get it, create solutions rather than expecting others to fucking spoonfeed you, FM maak toe die hek agter jou gat  :imaposer: