Knock in my engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
I went on a weekend ride away up to Vaalwater with TK a while ago  :thumleft:

I wear earplugs which have the annoying habit of working their way out as I ride, so the noise levels are constantly varying.

Anyway riding home (which was quite a saga  :biggrin:), I kept thinking the engine was bloody noisy, but couldn't make up my mind completely because the ear plugs were buggering up my judgement.

But when I finally got home I started the bike without earplugs or helmet on and there was no doubt, there was a nasty bearing knock somewhere low down  :mad:

So I took the engine out and was meaning to work on it myself, but my problem is that I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and that means everything takes a long time.  After two weeks of not riding the urge to get it done was fighting the urge to check every little thing properly.

In the end I took it to Runner (Conrad of Offroad Cycles, although he isnt turning out to be a hell of a lot faster, being very busy  :biggrin:).  I went through on Saturday and had a look at the partly dismantled engine.

Everything looks fine, but apparently the stator side crankshaft bearing seems to be the culprit, which makes sense because that's where the noise seemed to be coming from.  The bottom end of the conrod is slightly loose but its really marginal, neither myself nor Conrad could make up our mind's if that was out of spec or not because its very slight.

Anyway, I'm going to replace them all while its open.

Why it should go is a mystery, because I'm religious about oil changes (do them myself, far more frequently than specified and only use Castrol Race synthetic).  Plus the bike was going really well, better than its been going maybe ever!

But I suppose there are no guarantees when it comes to mechanical stuff.