Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Knock in my engine  (Read 2499 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Knock in my engine
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:41:48 am »
I went on a weekend ride away up to Vaalwater with TK a while ago  :thumleft:

I wear earplugs which have the annoying habit of working their way out as I ride, so the noise levels are constantly varying.

Anyway riding home (which was quite a saga  :biggrin:), I kept thinking the engine was bloody noisy, but couldn't make up my mind completely because the ear plugs were buggering up my judgement.

But when I finally got home I started the bike without earplugs or helmet on and there was no doubt, there was a nasty bearing knock somewhere low down  >:(

So I took the engine out and was meaning to work on it myself, but my problem is that I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and that means everything takes a long time.  After two weeks of not riding the urge to get it done was fighting the urge to check every little thing properly.

In the end I took it to Runner (Conrad of Offroad Cycles, although he isnt turning out to be a hell of a lot faster, being very busy  :biggrin:).  I went through on Saturday and had a look at the partly dismantled engine.

Everything looks fine, but apparently the stator side crankshaft bearing seems to be the culprit, which makes sense because that's where the noise seemed to be coming from.  The bottom end of the conrod is slightly loose but its really marginal, neither myself nor Conrad could make up our mind's if that was out of spec or not because its very slight.

Anyway, I'm going to replace them all while its open.

Why it should go is a mystery, because I'm religious about oil changes (do them myself, far more frequently than specified and only use Castrol Race synthetic).  Plus the bike was going really well, better than its been going maybe ever!

But I suppose there are no guarantees when it comes to mechanical stuff.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Knock in my engine
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:37 am »
Sorry to hear that alan.
How many hours/Km do you have on the motor?

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:57:11 am »
Yip engine noises is very difficult to pin point, even loose valves can sound like something's wrong in the bottom end. Also check the rocker shafts while it is apart. Read a lot about the counterbalancer key that shears or the nut that works itself loose but that would translate into engine vibrations and not just a knock.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:23:36 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:39:53 pm »
The bike's on about 17,000 km.

Offline HK

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:48:55 pm »
Sorry to hear , any news on the cause yet ?
Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:37:12 pm »
Its difficult to say because every thing looks in quite good condition on inspection.

My guess is:

Just before it happened, one of the cam idler roller bearings went ( a known issue on these bikes) I replaced it along with the cam chain which didnt really need it but I did that anyway.   But I think maybe a bit of that collapsed bearing might have found its way into the crank bearing?

Its really difficult to say, because everything looks quite good as far as I can see, and all my searches on the net dont show frequent issues with crank shaft bearings on these bikes.

Looks like one of those freak unlucky things - a bit irritating because I maintain my bikes well.  But that's the way it goes I suppose.

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:59:38 pm »
As they say --a stitch in time saves nine --shit happens unfortunately Allan --at least you are in tune with your bike and know when it is not normal

Replace the crank bearings while you got it open and give it a good check as well --
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline MacMac

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:40:50 pm »
Hi Alan

My Huskey's motor packed up due to water pump failure. It was a very painful  and expensive experience. The water pump impeller came loose from its drive shaft due to bad engineering from Husky. This caused the engine too overheat. So then the rings lost there tension and damaged the barrel.

I replaced the impeller and the rings and I was able too hone the barrel without damaging the coating. In my mind all was good and I would be able to ride again. For its maiden ride I did almost 100km when disaster struck again. The engine started knocking very loudly.

Back to the workshop. I opened the engine again and discovered serious play on the big end!

What caused this was small aluminium filings came of the inside of the barrel when the rings lost there tension. The filings then found its way into the oil pump and damaged it to the extent that it did pump properly. Then the crank pin ran dry and got damaged. I had to replace oil pump, complete con-rod asm and gaskets.

My advise to you is to make sure that your oil pump is pumping at the correct pressure! I would take the time to pull the engin to pieces and make sure what's going on.

Cool

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 07:57:44 pm »
Hi Alan

My Huskey's motor packed up due to water pump failure. It was a very painful  and expensive experience. The water pump impeller came loose from its drive shaft due to bad engineering from Husky. This caused the engine too overheat. So then the rings lost there tension and damaged the barrel.

I replaced the impeller and the rings and I was able too hone the barrel without damaging the coating. In my mind all was good and I would be able to ride again. For its maiden ride I did almost 100km when disaster struck again. The engine started knocking very loudly.

Back to the workshop. I opened the engine again and discovered serious play on the big end!

What caused this was small aluminium filings came of the inside of the barrel when the rings lost there tension. The filings then found its way into the oil pump and damaged it to the extent that it did pump properly. Then the crank pin ran dry and got damaged. I had to replace oil pump, complete con-rod asm and gaskets.

My advise to you is to make sure that your oil pump is pumping at the correct pressure! I would take the time to pull the engin to pieces and make sure what's going on.

Cool

Did you find any metal in the bag filters ? Must have been an expensive exercise  :o

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
Hi Alan

Cool

Welcome to the Forum --Mac Mac --Maybe introduce yourself to us Huskiteers and tell us more about the model of Husky and year you ride --Good to have a bit of a history on the bike as well new or bought 2nd hand --Thank's
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 06:46:34 am »
Hi Alan

Cool

Thanks, I'll ask Conrad to check that out. 

I'm not looking forward to the repair quote either!

I love that bike and am already getting grumpy on weekends because I cant ride. 

It is frustrating to have this happen because I took very good care of the bike.

But its not the end of the world - any engine can fail, despite what the Toyota/Honda [insert your favourite brand here] guys think.  My mate with a Hilux KZTE is a case in point.  Sometimes these things just happen, its a complete pain in the ass - but that's life!

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 06:55:30 am »
Alanb it will come alright.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 07:59:03 am »
Bottom line for me is ---- I have had basically all the brands over the last couple of years --some good --some --not that good

My 610 TE's is what works well for me and put a smile on my face every time I ride them -so if something unfortunate had to happen to one of them --I would not even hesitate to repair them 100% Cost Pleasure weighed up to cost for me is a no Brainer --

Pleasure I get will win hands down  ::)

That's why I ride --for the pleasure I get from it --
Current Scooters --

Offline MacMac

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 09:28:39 am »
Thanks Blazes.

Well I'm just the average oke that loves bikes petrol spanner build explore fix create bike bike bike. That's pretty much me. Bike wise I actually sold my Husky a while ago. I had a 2004 450smr. Mint condition. It was allot of fun fixing it and I rode it for 2000 km with the new parts. Ridiculous amount of fun riding in Cape Town CBD.

Sidetrack.  I did find some small fine pieces of metal shavings in both bag filters. I should have checked it the first time when I ran it. Could have possibly saved me some money. But that's how you learn. I now know the 450 motor inside out.

So if anybody needs some advice. Give me a shout. I had to fabricate all the special tools myself to strip the motor and put it back together again.

See the attached photo of my old Huskey.

lekker man

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:55:28 am »
Nice Mac Mac --

I also have a 450 but the TE --- Love it to bits --real Hooligan bike

But the 610 and 450 are two completely different motors --450 Overhead cam --short stroke and a stressed motor -close ratio box etc

Where the 610 -- I have 2 x 2009 models --long stroke --single over head cam and wide ratio  box --takes a lot more oil -- A  gem of a motor

But no getting away from the fact that the horns grow on the 450 when you ride it ---
Current Scooters --

Offline MacMac

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 11:03:02 am »
Haha ja

Stressed motor is a understatement! Super bike! I loved it! I test drove a Nude R a couple of week ago. I expected a bit more punch. But great looking machine.

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:33 am »
Haha ja

Stressed motor is a understatement! Super bike! I loved it! I test drove a Nude R a couple of week ago. I expected a bit more punch. But great looking machine.

Yep and no longer in production --pity --could have been a good seller -

But I will still not swop my Aprilla Dorsodura for one ---
Current Scooters --

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:12 pm »
Alan, hope you get your 610 together soon, we must still go on a ride! I'm glad to see I am not the only one that gets withdrawal symptoms when my baby is in the fix. Last time it was out of action for 2 weeks and I thought I was going to do my nut! :3some:
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 08:12:41 am »
Conrad just phoned, he found the problem  :thumleft:

He said he personally split the engine (he someone else do the initial stripping) and he said the crankshaft bearing we initially thought was faulty was actually fine.

The problem was actually a bolt on the clutch side of the crankshaft was loose, he said he could loosen it by hand.  It had a locking plate but that wasn't properly fastened.

He said he's seen similar issues on the XT660's with the same symptoms.

I must admit that makes a lot more sense!

He says as far as he can see everything else is in good condition and doesn't think that we need to do anything else to it.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:28 am »
Conrad just phoned, he found the problem  :thumleft:

He said he personally split the engine (he someone else do the initial stripping) and he said the crankshaft bearing we initially thought was faulty was actually fine.

The problem was actually a bolt on the clutch side of the crankshaft was loose, he said he could loosen it by hand.  It had a locking plate but that wasn't properly fastened.

He said he's seen similar issues on the XT660's with the same symptoms.

I must admit that makes a lot more sense!

He says as far as he can see everything else is in good condition and doesn't think that we need to do anything else to it.

:thumleft: The one behind the clutch or on the counter balancer shaft ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:38:26 am by sidetrack »

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :