Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fixing F650GS/Dakar indicator switch  (Read 723 times)

Offline growweblaar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
Fixing F650GS/Dakar indicator switch
« on: October 28, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »
My Dakar (2006) must be getting on, since the switches are starting to go. A while ago the ABS switch stopped working (couldn't switch ABS off anymore), and last week my righthand indicators went dead, which I traced to the switch: both were a simple case of corroded electric contacts. Some switch cleaner and light sanding fixed both.

Of course you first have to get the switches out and open, the indicator switch being a particular bitch with all its little springs and miniature metal balls. Fitting everything back together again is, er, challenging - for me ending up in losing the smallest spring and ball. A true BOING GONE! :angry6:

I found a suitable spring in my BRSP (Box of Random Small Parts), and manufactured a replacement for the little ball by dropping a ball of solder on a tiny screw. Tuning the fit involved trimming the spring just right, and grinding/sanding the solder down to the right level. Copious silicone lube rounded off the pooratech patch.

Tested and works 100%. Hopefully the solder ball isn't so soft that it wears quickly (it's contacting plastic ribs, so should be OK).

And for good measure I got a quote from Donfords on these two switches, just to bask in my DIY glory:

New ABS switch: R576
New indicator switch: R1500 :o

That's without labour. So I saved myself R2000 :thumleft:

Offline PMH

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
Re: Fixing F650GS/Dakar indicator switch
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:04:03 pm »
thats great! shows you what a little DIY can do!  ;D
Living to ride.. and riding to live :-)

Bikes owned:
Suzuki RV 90 --> BMW Dakar --> YAMAHA XT350 --> KAWASAKI KLR650 --> BMW1150GS --> YAMAHA XT600 --> BMW Dakar --> BMW1150GS

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Fixing F650GS/Dakar indicator switch
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »
i hate opening up the controls

i have had to fix a couple - touch wood have not had to open anything on my dakar