Fixing F650GS/Dakar indicator switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
My Dakar (2006) must be getting on, since the switches are starting to go. A while ago the ABS switch stopped working (couldn't switch ABS off anymore), and last week my righthand indicators went dead, which I traced to the switch: both were a simple case of corroded electric contacts. Some switch cleaner and light sanding fixed both.

Of course you first have to get the switches out and open, the indicator switch being a particular bitch with all its little springs and miniature metal balls. Fitting everything back together again is, er, challenging - for me ending up in losing the smallest spring and ball. A true BOING GONE! :angry6:

I found a suitable spring in my BRSP (Box of Random Small Parts), and manufactured a replacement for the little ball by dropping a ball of solder on a tiny screw. Tuning the fit involved trimming the spring just right, and grinding/sanding the solder down to the right level. Copious silicone lube rounded off the pooratech patch.

Tested and works 100%. Hopefully the solder ball isn't so soft that it wears quickly (it's contacting plastic ribs, so should be OK).

And for good measure I got a quote from Donfords on these two switches, just to bask in my DIY glory:

New ABS switch: R576
New indicator switch: R1500 :eek:

That's without labour. So I saved myself R2000 :thumleft:

Attachments

• Indicator switch parts.jpg
    Indicator switch parts.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 366
  • Small screw with blob of solder.jpg
    Small screw with blob of solder.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 316
  • Rocker with spring-loaded screw ball replacement.jpg
    Rocker with spring-loaded screw ball replacement.jpg