200 KM'S, ONE HEPCO&BECKER PANNIER AND 7 FALLS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Horse

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Left Malmesbury on Saturday 12 Jan 2008, at 4pm for a quick ride to Beaverlac campsite.  The plan was to follow some lovely dirt tracks all the way there.
Came to two locked gates which forced us to back-track and explore some roads not on the map.  A very innocent little road, which I could see can get muddy in the rainy season, turned into a very tiring, time consuming ordeal!
The finest, deepest sand started to swallow both my tyres and 20m further the bike on top  of me and my pillion with my pannier twisted off.
This seemed to repeat itself a further 6 times much to the amusement of my Mal Merrie.  She laughed so much that no action photos could be taken during the falls, thus all of them showing me lying on the ground.
After many wrong turns and sweat, we came upon a main road.  This set as back quit a lot and only arrived at our destination near 10pm that night.

As I arrived at Beaverlac, I was greeted with many dogs, tents and Klipdrift infested impolite people(said diplomatically).  One guy try to throw a bottle at us, when all we were looking for was a place to rest.  I eventually came to an empty camping site, quenched my thirst and knocked out my headache from dehydration.
Had a nice braai and enjoyed the lovely stars, which made it all worthwhile.

Was woken up during that night with dogs fighting and barking so decided to pack up early that morning and drive through the Groot Winterhoek Area.  Dasklippas was absolutely amazing, especially at day time.

We left for home to let the sore bodies rest, Mal Merrie still with a leg aching, and enjoyed a nice sunset at Blowfish while eating sushi.

I will go back and tackle that sand monster again, and anyone is welcome to join.  As for Beaverlac, very nice setting, spoiled by people and will not see me again.  On the other hand, the Groot Winterhoek Nature Reserve has a nice 4x4 route which I would love to go and explore........

KTM we will ride another day and I will stay on!!!!

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0008.JPG
    tn_IMG_0008.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 316
  • tn_IMG_0016.JPG
    tn_IMG_0016.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 320
  • tn_IMG_0019.JPG
    tn_IMG_0019.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 317
  • tn_IMG_0033.JPG
    tn_IMG_0033.JPG