Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kakamas you say? Amageza 2013  (Read 17038 times)

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
Re: Kakamas you say?
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2013, 11:03:57 am »
The issue with my video camera was twofold;

The remote recorder sits in a bum bag behind my back. I think because I am made up mostly of pinotage this interferes with the signal from the remote that lives on the handle bars. Before, I used to have it in a bum bag but it sat in the front of me. For the future, I want to have it in a bag in a 3 point sling so it sits across my chest.

Also charging of batteries is a bit of ball ache. The system runs off off 4 AA batteries rechargables. All batteries are not created equal. In the past I could reliably get half a day of video, change over and put the used ones in my on bike charger. I was trying out some new ones that didnít even last two hours. Fortunately I had some of the old ones too, so that kept me going but I had to pick and choose. I had a mains charger but in the biviouac there were limited plugs.

You can understand that my focus was then not really on being a camera man, although now I regret it.

Anyone know from experience the highest capacity and mAh AA rechargables?

This video of the stage only starts once I was up shit creek. The rest was once I was out of it and on the way to the finish. HD is still an issue with Youtube.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ux8yrwCjeqQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ux8yrwCjeqQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:20:41 am by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2013, 11:21:49 am »
Excellent RR - respect. :thumleft:

AA Bateries - I use 2500mAh that I got from Makro a few years ago - they lasted the best so far - I will try find the make tonight.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
shew hectic stuff dude,that would have me truly buggered
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2013, 12:39:41 pm »
Fark Andrew!  Respect!

When I saw you guys in Sutherland, you looked like you had a nice afternoon ride behind you.

As we said in the briefing, there would be things that changed since the roadbook was done. There was simply no time or money left to run the whole route again the week before.

It just shows the quality of riders we had on the day that nobody wiped themselves out on that route.  :thumleft:
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2013, 12:49:47 pm »
I can see that riding the Amageza would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me - right at the very end  ;D

For interest, what camera were you using?

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2013, 01:15:29 pm »
Fokkit, Ending the stage, I was feeling fresh, but 82kís to go is a long way riding at the speed limits. If I was on my own I would have cranked it up to 180 and ended the issue quicker.

It was cold and getting colder. Riding up to the escarpment there were some really big threatening clouds. Just before going up the pass, it started raining and so began the debate.

Should I stop and put on the rain gear?
Itís only 39kís left, itís not raining that hard, push on, youíre going to be getting a hot shower anyway.

That last bit wasnít much fun. I still had some bandwidth left not to go straight to a warm shower but fill up. I know Sutherland only has one pump and itís not a 24hr one either.

Pulling into the pumps Charl was there shivering too. Sadly, the decision to fill up had used all bandwidth up and I got off the bike without putting out the side stand. One mirror off. Iíve never done that before. It was pretty funny.

Charl thinking WTF?

I can take on 46 litres but that puts a serious dent in the weight issues. I calculated that Iíd need only about 300kís worth till the next pump. My initial concerns about the fuel economy were cleared up; the carbs with the latest jetting were returning about 8l/100kmís, this last river section had gone up to 11. If youíve ever really followed my fuel consumption youíll know that normally this kind of riding can return never below 12 and easily above 20. I was very happy. ( for the nerds, and those considering FCR Pumpers, the idle jets have a massive effect on the consumption, more so than the OEM ones)

Last Amageza was a blast in sleeping department. This one.... Arriving late afternoon with lightning and thunder about in the freezing cold was no fun. In trying to park my bike I hit a small brick and over I went for the second time, this time cracking the roadbooks light switch, nothing a bit of super glue wouldnít fix.

As sociable as I can be, at times like this I was one track minded. I knew a few things;

I am not sleeping in the tents Ė the ground will be wet and cold.
I will sleep in the change rooms.
I need to shower now!
I need to eat
I need to check a few things on the bike.

So off to find my trommel and bag a space in the change rooms with mattress. Check.

Shower. Check, FOK!... There was no hot water, it was a miserable scrub. Nonetheless I was clean again and warming up in my tights and layers.

I had brought along some tins of baked beans and viennaís. After Alexís briefing I packed them in my back pack in case I had to sleep out. Never has a tin of them been so delicious or more envied by others.

The prodigal sons return. Lood and Hendrik. This is as they are getting off after having missioned and made it home. Others would only get home at 4 in the morning.

A cup of coffee and I was 100ís. I caught an hour of sleep in a tent under the Bedouin tent that the workers had erected and were waiting for the rain to stop. I woke to hear of plans being made for the Jupiter room where everyone would climb into the overland truck. I didnít like the sound of the truck story - I dislike being dependant on others for when I must come homeÖ. But I really liked the sound of the Jupiter room, Iíve been there before and had a great timeÖ. Beer!

So I immediately hopped on my bike and rode in the drizzle to the Jupiter Room and enjoyed a very fine icy beer.

I think the sleep had done me the world of good, I was one of the last to leave with Jan on the back after about 4 or 5 beers with another good meal and a good chat to all. Iíd listened to the briefing given by Lucas Ė Alex was goofing around in Worcester have a bit of a holiday. Apparently heíd had enough of Amageza and was preferring to fix substandard Chinese pipe cars.

My road book was marked, I knew my starting time Ė mid to back of pack (they had reversed the order for the start)

Fok I luv the big beast. All the 450ís were having major heart surgery, the 690ís were being given botox. I just needed a mild bit of fiddling to tighten one roadbook bolt, superglue the light knob back on and lube the chain, that was my maintenance for the day.

4 bolts loose, tighten one up and done

Knob, you knob!

To be fair, most of the niggles were with roadbooks

My next door neighbours.

My hole for the night was where they store the rugby post cushions. There was a geyser in there, who knows where itís water goes because I didnít get any of it earlier, but I was snug for the night. 5 star has never felt so good! Lights out for me was about midnight.

Ear plugs in, alarm set for 4:30.

Total distance on my gps was 587k's.
Lying 13th of 22 left, 1hr 53 back from the leader. I have it in the bag, no problem!

Day 2 awaits.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:56:44 pm by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

Offline Karel Kat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • 'Burn Babilaan an de wicked'
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »
Donner K, I'm still pondering whether you are indeed as clever as KilRoy believes you are, but for sure your ride reports are genius. Really, really enjoying this. Respect.
Proudly colonialist dog walker and brannewyn libtard

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 02:12:44 pm »

For interest, what camera were you using?

POV HD from V.I.O

This is a screen grab so the resoultion is great untill Youtube screws with it.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 03:02:49 pm »
Epic!

Loved the river video.  Makes me feel like I was there (not that I could ride a big bike like that through there - but anyway).

Its amazing how vicious that cycle is - you fall and get a bit tired extracting your self, you finally get going, but because you haven't recovered and are short of oxygen you make a mistake soon afterwards and fall again, now you have to dig deeper extracting yourself, - repeat ad nauseum with the frequency of falls increasing exponentially - its the pits!

Takes some grit to keep going  :thumleft:

PS I find those NiMH batteries need to be kept fully charged.  Once you leave them flat for any length of time they become useless and you have to throw them away.  If you keep using them all the time (discharging and then charging frequently) they last a long time.

If you buy a set that have sat on the shelf too long, its the same issue - they dont perform.  2500-2700mAh is about the norm for AA's these days I think.

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Brink

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »
Respect  :thumleft: :ricky:
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2013, 03:21:35 pm »
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline Ganjora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:50 pm »
awesome.
thanks for the video cip.

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 05:04:24 pm »
Bookmark
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »
nice one ....brings the hardcoreness of these events out .....one day ...maybe I be man enough to do something like this
Born to lose, live to win!!

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »
I seriously think that most of the people on this forum who wander a little off the beaten track from time to time can ride this. Of course having such a big bike ups the challenge and pickup factor, but with a bit of training to get fit and some sessions in a few technical places and a 450 or 690, it's very doable. Keep your head, have few mechanicals and focus on having fun and it's not inconceivable.

If you've dreamed of doing a rally, you probably could. Just doing one day and following along for the rest would be fun enough.

In 5 years time, it'll cost R30k before you've even got a bike, and even then it'll be cheap.

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »
Daai riverbed is defnitief nie jou maatjie nie. Respek Andrew!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline africanSky

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2013, 06:22:10 pm »
I can't believe how easily you pick up that 950 - some serious powerlifting there!!!

Online Takashi

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2013, 06:29:34 pm »
Much respect guys. :thumleft:

I'm watching the videos and shitting myself at the speeds you are doing.
This is definitely on the bucket list.

Offline Tito

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Alias .....Paul Rotorookies
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2013, 09:10:35 pm »
Awesome RR so far ,Andrew big respect to you for competing on a 959/990 it is soooo much harder to do something like this on such a big bike, you need a special Trophy ...
Ride it like you stole it  !!!!!! If your Afraid of Death Your Afraid of Life, Only the Rocks Live Forever !!!!!!

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
?!

What? It was seconds ago that I put my head down!

Robert was kicking my feet, I woke to see him fully dressed. For a sickening moment I thought I had overslept. But he said it was just past 4am. FOK! I had at least another half an hour.

He said something derogatory about my snoring. I canít deny, itís a talent I have. Oh well, may as well get the show on the road.

Neighbours are up and grumbling.

It was only the second day but it felt so routine;

Go shit.
Get all kit on
Pack bed.
Eat breakfast.
Give bike and gear once over.
Pack trommel and take it to the truck.
Fill water.
Start bike.
Put helmet on.
Take helmet off
Put earplugs inÖ chop.
Go to start line.

Guys getting ready in the cold

Under there was where I caught a good 40 winks last night before we headed off to supper.

Faffing

My brother in Law Bungycool on this forum, who lives in Scotland, gave me these gloves a while ago as a present. At the time I thought what kak idea for a present! I live in Africa, why would I possibly want, much less use a set of gloves made in the UK and making me look like a Mork from York. Also, how on earth does anyone think that three fingers is all you need on a motorcycle?!

Well, I had to eat my thoughts; they didn't make my hands sweat and they didn't feel like I was wearing pillows on my hands. The three finger idea was great, I normally have two fingers on the levers anyway. On the way back from one bash I rode in pelting rain and freezing temperatures. Not a drop got through and not once did I miss having heated grips. My hands were toasty and bone dry.

I did make one blunder that was going to come back to bite me, see my nice clean visor and glasses? More of that laterÖ

Because I was lying 11th of 17 and they had reversed the order, I had a relatively early start in the program, but as there had been a bit of chaos the night before, the powers that be decided that we should all start half an hour later so we wouldnít head off into the dark.

Just about to head off. Green lines mean on my roadbook, speed limits. I hadnít coloured the first two in town as I was going to be starting here and last night I was sure I wouldnít have made an error there.

06:18 annnd weíre off!

It was bitingly cold and there was a bit of drizzle about. Along the top of the escarpment it was very fast and cold. I had put a product on my visor and glasses that Oakley sell. I had serious issues with fogging on my visor so I had to ride with the visor half up. Not fun in the rain doing 120 on a gravel road.

The visor thing you ask? I usually use Mr Min on my visors and glasses. It beads the waters, eases cleaning and protects against scratches to a degree. Why I had decided to change, who knows but in my frustration whilst riding and getting my nose stung, I remembered reading the instructions on the bottle Ė do not apply to visors or goggles. Bit late now. The up side is now you all know.

I had caught 3 or 4 guys by the time I started down Ouberg pass. Going down, I slowed right down. Last year there were some serious accidents here. There were patches of snow, it was very beautiful looking out over the Tankwa Karoo. Off in the distance the weather looked much better.

Near the bottom, the road became a riverbed. During the evening, this must have been a raging river. With my bulky gloves, misty visor and still to warm up body, I tippled over. Pictures just donít do it justice.

The next 200kís was one of the better rides Iíve ever done. Peter and I had somehow joined up just before the fun started and thatís how we stayed till Nieuwoudville.

The fun was; the temperature had risen to where my mist issues were gone, washed away roads with tons of snotty mud, river crossings, riding through twisting farm tracks, leaping dongaís and sliding around corners, stunning scenery. Just all-round perfection. And I never got one shot or one blip of video.

We passed a bakkie stuck in the mud of a Karroo river in flood. There was nothing I could do, or any of the other bikes. He was safe but looked a bit embarrassed when I passed.

Peter and I took turns leading. The groove was in big time. Thereís something about riding with someone just knowing they are having as much fun as you. It is just the best way to past the miles. Weíd worked out a system for the myriad of gates we had to open and close; First guy stops and hands bike to second to hold (ground was soft Ė Peterís 450ís side stand could hold his up but not my fat pig), first runs off to open gate and comes back. Second rides through, first rides through and holds seconds bike. Seconds closes gate and runs back to repeat for the next one.

What made it even more interesting was that the leg did require some navigating which added to the things to do and make it just that extra degree of fun.

I had a memorable escape when I tried to jump one deep rut, only to see another, so jumped that one too and then the track turned enough for me not to make the corner and head off into the fields full of dongas and grass. I barely stayed on and was giggling like a school girl once back on the track. Winston Churchill once said, ď there is nothing quite so exhilarating as being shot at without result!Ē Iíd dodged a big bullet back there unscathed.
All too soon the fun ended and we were back on Karroo gravel highway for another 100kís. I had a brain fart halfway along it dropping my phone charger cable. Much like I was cleaning my goggles in the video, Iíd set my throttle lock and was trying to swap plugs when a corner snuck up. I had to drop the cable to make the corner. Peter found it in the dust when I came back to look for it. Lucky me in more ways than one.

Nothing much happened all the way to Lutzville other than trying to have a live phone conversation with Bungycool whilst on a Rally. The speed limits here were seldom a 100 and for many k's it was 80 or even 60. At fuel stops, I would log in quickly to get snatches of the excitement that was on that mega thread. I thought Iíd try give him some info on what it was like and what was happening. I have earplugs with mic that I can speak with whilst riding. Sadly he couldnít hear me well.

I thought it quite funny to see many bikes crawling along obeying the rules of the road that no one else was. Getting passed by busses is a new one for my beast.

I had to stop in Lutzville at the chemist to get some plasters for a callus that had broken open, then next stop stage 2 special. I know this bit of land very well. I wasnít worried about the first bit, but I know that from Groen Rivier on, itís not that much fun.

Iíd soon enough find out. It was 11:35 and 401k's behind me to get to the start lineÖ.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:46:16 pm by Kamanya »