Kakamas you say? Amageza 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Goals.

Life glows and shines a little brighter with them. Why? Well, that’s just the way it works. And, thank goodness for that, because 44 people set a goal to get from Gordon’s Bay to Kakamus via a crazy route Alex Nel has called The Amageza 2013. Just a paltry business of 2000k’s of scenic, gentle off road… mostly.

I’ve done it once before and had an idea of what it took; A bike with a roadbook, first aid kit, sleeping bag, GPS, some spares and a sense of humour. So, with that I entered.

I had a brutal lead up to the scrutineering; I’ve been frek busy at work and hadn’t got a chance to ride my bike for about 2 months. I got a really bad dose of flu 12 days before that put me in bed for a few days. My bike prep and service was all last minute and in doing that some niggles showed up – wheel bearings needing replacing, check the oil pump, hooter getting a short, HID blowing the day before the start, water pump leak in the hoses, clutch side gasket leak after putting it back together again, etc.

After more than a year, I’d finally got my carbs dialled in too. This was crucial as my fuel consumption was about 8-9 kilo’s per litre when really gunning it before. This would be an issue as the longest distance between fuel stops was 250k’s and at high power needs that would mean I would have to lug along more than 30 litres and still have to worry. I was hoping the last jetting change would up it to about 12. But because of getting sick I wouldn’t know till I had passed a few tanks of fuel through on the race. Not the best of times to do this kind of experimenting.

Mounting the roadbook. I had no doubt that I was going to be visiting mother earth and waisting my screen on that wasn’t worth it so it was left off.

Hey! It works!

Tires wrapped, bike ready as it’ll ever be. Trommel packed. Off to bed.

(As I am traveling for the rest of the week, this will only be added to as and when I can. Video still has to be edited (haven't even had a look at it all). This might take a while, but I thought I get it started, Sorry)