Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha WR450F Amageza build  (Read 18426 times)

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
Re: Yamaha WR450F Amageza build
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 02:47:29 pm »
This has been a really informative read. I like!
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline Bender

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 03:10:48 pm »
One of the best and most informative reads for me in a long time. Good on you :thumleft:
Bender on the Run that is just all KTM fun!

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 03:17:17 pm »
Well done  :thumleft:

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »
wow, some guys have a lot of talent - very nice to see your skills in action, and a kick-ass end product! keep up the good work!  :thumleft:
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline KTMRICK

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • The fun begins where the long black snake ends
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »
Really interesting and way above my capability. Big respect for those who can like you. I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the use of the steering damper a bit more in the various terrains you encountered. I have one on my 640 but am really not sure how to use it properly.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 05:09:13 pm »
Again, this is one of the best rally build threads I have seen. I'm stunned at how cheap it was even with the labour. :eek:

Can you post pics of the damage and what you saw that you liked and did not like? The only thing I would have maybe done differently is to route the header under the foot peg away from the engine and fuel tanks, like you can see on the old 690 rally bikes.

http://www.ertf.com/photos/training/TrainingGps2B_uk.pps describes how the ERTF unit works.

Wouldn't it be nice for Amageza to have a unit that shows this info when you arrive at the bivuoac? No post-processing until all hours of the night, no hoping/guessing what penalties you got, no unpleasant suprises.

Exactly.  I have made a list and drawings of all these features.  I will be using a very low cost LCD.  I am currently trying to source the best size and bang for buck.  Gotta love China!

I have the bracket for the current ERTF so can get pictures and measurements to you. Please keep me in the loop when you chat to Pleco, because I know what the guys are complaining about with this system and this would be an opportunity to build an improvement

nringdahl at geemail dot com.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 05:32:38 pm »
Very well done Bob - that is the ugliest prettiest bike I have ever seen !
The older I get the faster I was

Online BLK

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 05:35:02 pm »
Nice job.Thks for sharing your work.

:)

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 05:58:25 pm »
That was really interesting to read.  I liked your writing style very much - fast & friendly conversation.  I so agree with using HDPE for the tower.  If you want to make it ABSOLUTELY indestructible use UHMWPE - readily available from Gartech in Epping.

Online darthvader

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:00 pm »
Very well done Bob - that is the ugliest prettiest bike I have ever seen !

Ek was jou bek uit met seep! When are you getting your fat ass into gear?

Online darthvader

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 06:06:02 pm »
That was really interesting to read.  I liked your writing style very much - fast & friendly conversation.  I so agree with using HDPE for the tower.  If you want to make it ABSOLUTELY indestructible use UHMWPE - readily available from Gartech in Epping.

Thy will be done!

Online darthvader

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:48 pm »
Can you post pics of the damage and what you saw that you liked and did not like? The only thing I would have maybe done differently is to route the header under the foot peg away from the engine and fuel tanks, like you can see on the old 690 rally bikes.

Trumpet on! Well, I fixed everything on Day 2 already. Some one the special and some at the bivouac.  I forgot to pick up a new sparkplug, but I should start with maintenance tomorrow.  I will take snaps of the areas that I want to improve on and the wear on the tower.

The damage will be insignificant, but one will be able to extrapolate the damage factor for longer races.

We need to create an essential and rolls royce trommel contents thread or manual.  Chris (REVS) kakked on me for not carrying a spare chain in my trommel!

We also need to create a bike toolkit list. The only thing I did not carry was extra chain and    masterlnks.

Offline alanB

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »
What do you estimate your nav tower with all its kit on, weighs?

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Online darthvader

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »
What do you estimate your nav tower with all its kit on, weighs?

I will tell you tomorrow, but weight was not the only motivation for this tower.  The incredible strength and flexibility of HDPE was very attractive to me.

Online darthvader

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2013, 12:20:38 am »
Really interesting and way above my capability. Big respect for those who can like you. I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the use of the steering damper a bit more in the various terrains you encountered. I have one on my 640 but am really not sure how to use it properly.

I am not sure what the rules are, but this worked for me.  I set the steering damper exactly in the middle.  Day 1, SS1, super rocky riverbed terrain, I stiffened it up one full rotation.  Amazing! I am no stranger to rocky terrain and frankly I love it because of the technical challenge.  With the steering damper it made it trivial.  My heart rate never went over 150.  I got lost with some other guys and I was gatvol.  I had to backtrack over the same rocks and stiffened the damper one more rotation.  I was flying over the rocks! No jerking whatsoever.  Back up on the mountain, I toned it down again, back to "zero"/middle/centre.  Technical "slow" sand, like on Day 2 SS1, I set it to zero and then anticlockwise max(negative).  I ride sand almost every weekend and I want full control over the steering - I stand up at low speed sand riding.

Then I joined up with the Amageza 2013 champion, still on sand, but high speed, and I quickly set it back to half way + one full rotation clockwise.  At very high speed you don't want tank slapping, it worked for me.  I left it like this for the remainder of the race, which included uphill rocky tracks and high speed jeep tracks, as well as some super high speed gravel national roads with the odd sand patch.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:23:21 am by darthvader »

Online darthvader

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2013, 12:25:33 am »
Then I joined up with the Amageza 2013 champion, still on sand, but high speed, and I quickly set it back to half way + one full rotation clockwise.  

En donner, die Vet kan jaag hoor!  Woes!

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:16 am »
Had a look at your navigational setup last night. Some smart thinking there.
Have you seen the following:
http://store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-gps-ublox-with-compass

Not that cheap but gps, compas rolled into 4x4cm unit. Used for remote controls. Part of the http://diydrones.com/ open environment

I would like to see your setup from close-up

Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline Yami Super 10

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2013, 09:06:48 am »
I am sure that having this Thread :deal:

There will be more guys wanting to do it next year...... :peepwall: :pot:
This has even got me thinking :ricky:
Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2013, 10:30:54 am »
I had a quick look at Kobus Potgieter's nav tower. It has built in suspension. If you can have a pivot point and two small gas shocks in the back, the Nav tower wil not disintegrate.

Not sure how that works
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Online darthvader

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2013, 10:50:03 am »
I had a quick look at Kobus Potgieter's nav tower. It has built in suspension. If you can have a pivot point and two small gas shocks in the back, the Nav tower wil not disintegrate.

Not sure how that works

Tell that to Riaan van Niekerk.  His tower disintegrated after an off ;D

I was thinking about that, but I had not leverage.  The cool thing about the setup I have now, is that I can really do anything at the front, any shape or size.  I did notice that Paco Martinez's tower(klx450mx) was actually lower than his handle bars if you lock it to the side.  If I lock my steering, my handlebars go underneath my navigation tray.  That said, Paco is a midget.