Educational trip.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Stripes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Voxan (all models)
I was lucky enough to go to Stellenbosch University and complete a course that was easy enough so that I could learn other important things while studying. I even spend another year, just to make sure that I understood everything. To the dismay of my very conservative dad.

My daughter followed in some of my steps; thank the good Lord for that. Imagine she followed in all my steps. She is a serious student and studies Electrical Engineering, something I think is the curse of a very few. Seeing that I brought her up, it is very difficult to tell her what to do. She have a mind of her own. But, very dear to my heart and a true soul mate.

My son, on the other hand, have no liking in studies whatsoever. Good for him. Followed in my footstepsâ?¦ Some of them, damn. So he was very clear about studying. He wants to be a commercial helicopter pilot, end of story. Good for you, my boy, set your goals and go for it. Donâ??t fly small choppers!

There are, however, a few things that a young man must learn, so I accept that responsibility to the level that I am capable.

So, we went on a trip. First thing of the morning was to do 50 km on bicycles in preparation for the Argus. Back home, we showered and packed the few things we needed for our day. I prepared a very good leg of lamb the previous day, slowly baked for hours. So we decided to use that as source of protein. For vitamins we bought a few chocolates and to cancel out all possible chance of getting fat, I bought coke light.

So we set off towards Groot Winterhoek Mountains, towering over Porterville. First lesson was to travel modest. Our trusty DR200 was the humbling influence. Last time when I and Merry Can left for the epic journey through Namaqualand, his snotty remark was, â??now that you have everything, all you need is a proper bikeâ?. No more speed, weâ??re almost there, got to keep cool, got to take care. Oh, sweet Golden Earing.

For the life of me can he not sit still on a bike. Sit and vroetel the whole time. Last thing in the world that he can do is sit still. Cannot even sit and watch TV.

We stopped outside Koringberg for a chocolate break.

DSCF1532.jpg

We travelled a lot of annoying tar but soon we were up the Dasklip Pass and in the mountain.

DSCF1535.jpg

It was very nice and surely peaceful.

DSCF1545.jpg

DSCF1534.jpg

I misinterpreted the website and thought we could drive through some parts of the wilderness area, but apart from a few tracks here and there, we could not find roads to travel.

DSCF1538.jpg

Only hiking trails. So we did some riding around, but decided to turn back to the parking area where you are supposed to start the hiking trails. If not, Mohammed has to go to the mountain. Learn will he today, very important lesson to come.

So we start walking, beautiful flowers and scenery completes the picture.

Then, out of the blue, what we came for! The most important flower in the world. The thing that your son just has to experience himself. Now he just has to add the blue and white stripes, and he will know what is important in life!

DSCF1543.jpg

DSCF1544.jpg

After that, we decide to walk a bit further, just because we can.

Soon we were the recipients of the lack of signs and got lost. As lost as you can get, but still. Later we decided to come back cross country, the trails were just too badly marked, in fact, not marked at all. Time was beginning to become a factor, however, I started to feel the heat and I also cannot resist a chance to cool off.

Not a very flattering picture, maybe my sonâ??s revenge for something.

DSCF1549.jpg

We got back to the bike and prepared to get back, truly enjoyed the short trip and are already planning the next lesson.

DSCF1552.jpg