Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cape To Cairo 2014  (Read 5590 times)

Offline nightrider

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
Cape To Cairo 2014
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »
Hi all,

We're about to embark on a cape to cairo ride starting in April 2014.  It's a trip that's been in the pipeline for 3 years, and is suddenly only 6 months away - sheez.  There's four of us going, all on DR650s, average age 50+ (and the bikes aren't much younger!).

We're planning on heading through Nam, Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, hoping to complete the trip in about 70 days.

Although we want to stay quite flexible, we're at the stage where we need to try and plot a more detailed route, we think we want to head up on the west side of Tanzania/Kenya near lake Victoria.   

So now I'm looking for any advice/suggestions/abuse on roads that are worth taking, places that shouldn't be missed, and good spots to stay, particularly for Tanzania/Kenya/Ethiopia.  I've started reading through the ride reports, but It's quite daunting when you look at a country you know nothing about and try and determine the best routes.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Offline XTFREAK

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
Re: Cape To Cairo 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:00:13 am »
Howdy. Im replying to this cause i want to keep tabs on your progress. My dream to ride to Ethiopia. Good luck

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:01 am »
Hi all,

We're about to embark on a cape to cairo ride starting in April 2014.  It's a trip that's been in the pipeline for 3 years, and is suddenly only 6 months away - sheez.  There's four of us going, all on DR650s, average age 50+ (and the bikes aren't much younger!).

We're planning on heading through Nam, Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, hoping to complete the trip in about 70 days.

Although we want to stay quite flexible, we're at the stage where we need to try and plot a more detailed route, we think we want to head up on the west side of Tanzania/Kenya near lake Victoria.   

So now I'm looking for any advice/suggestions/abuse on roads that are worth taking, places that shouldn't be missed, and good spots to stay, particularly for Tanzania/Kenya/Ethiopia.  I've started reading through the ride reports, but It's quite daunting when you look at a country you know nothing about and try and determine the best routes.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

I did some of that route.  This thread might help give you some information.  http://mzee-jaki.blogspot.com/2009/10/everyone-has-dream.html
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline nightrider

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:36:34 pm »
Hey Mzee, read your ride report today, thanks!

Hectic, solo through africa on a wee-strom, respect man!  I've taken my trusty DL1000 on some
hectic stuff around the karoo, and she never let me down, although she's given me quite a few scares!   

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:14:01 am »
Hey Mzee, read your ride report today, thanks!

Hectic, solo through africa on a wee-strom, respect man!  I've taken my trusty DL1000 on some
hectic stuff around the karoo, and she never let me down, although she's given me quite a few scares!  

Thanks. Mate.  We share our stories so that your experience can be improved. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:23:00 am by Mzee »

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 08:33:41 pm »
Hi, I am doing a similar one right now. My son and I are in western Tanzania (Mpanda) now. Will be back in Cape Town mid January. Let's meet for a beer then and we will be able to share some info with you.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:03:40 pm »
Sub

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 05:52:55 am »
 :sip: Getting coffee for this one
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »
Night rider, one thing I just learned today is that you can get the visa for Burindi in Kigoma. Costs $40 and takes 20 minutes. That is good news for us as we can now continue into Burundi. It was a problem to get the visa in SA as it would have expired by the time we got here.

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:09 am »
Everytime I think of those travelling, I feel nostalgic.

XT1200Z Super Tenere

• Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 07:58:53 am »

Jealous, thats me  :drif: :drif:
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline Hermit

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • If there is no dust, I'm on the wrong road ...
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 10:16:14 am »

Jealous, thats me  :drif: :drif:

And the same here ...  
                       I will be keeping tabs on this one as well !   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:16:59 am by Hermit »
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known,
Like a "drifter" I was born to "ride" alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time = Whitesnake

Offline nightrider

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 09:23:44 pm »
Hey all, just back from a trip up to gauteng, sheez, how do people survive up there without a bike in that traffic, hectic.

Amsterdam, would love to hear about your trip esp the tanzania bits, I see you're cape based too, maybe once you're
back I could tempt you to join us for a braai and a few drinks so we can pick your brains?

• Forum Whore
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 06:07:39 am »
Hey all, just back from a trip up to gauteng, sheez, how do people survive up there without a bike in that traffic, hectic.

Amsterdam, would love to hear about your trip esp the tanzania bits, I see you're cape based too, maybe once you're
back I could tempt you to join us for a braai and a few drinks so we can pick your brains?

Noo, only the "skaapkopvreeters" pick brains.   :peepwall: :snorting:
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline nightrider

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 11:33:02 am »
Noo, only the "skaapkopvreeters" pick brains.   :peepwall: :snorting:

hahaha, i reckon after a few weeks into this trip skaapkop will start to sound pretty tasty.

Offline Kartoem

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Dream the ride - ride the Dream
    • moto-africa.com
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 12:08:50 pm »
I trust your planning is well advanced for your upcoming trip. I have been up and down your planned route twice and will pm you with some info that may be of use. Don't look back - do it!
Obstacles is what you see when you take your eye of the goal

Offline Attack Dog

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 10:58:07 pm »
Hi, I did Cairo to Cape Town solo, it's amazing. I actually started in London, UK and did Europe and Middle East and then crossed into Africa from Israel. The route you've planned is going to blow you away, it's beautiful and not too many shitty bits. Don't solo like I did. Take a mate. Don't bribe, it's not really required, but be patient and watch what you put into the bike and into your mouth. And Learn to change a puncture with your eyes closed before you leave. Oh, and take half the shit you have on your list at the moment. Lastly, don't smoke dope in Malawi if you are taking Larium. Duck tape is good, but heavy duty cable ties can hold a snapped frame together for days. Take some welding rods if you plan to do some off-piste adventures. Eat and sleep with locals but pay them for the service, there are too many bums living off the locals without giving back something.

I think I was (1996) one of the first people to do this UK to Cairo to Cape Town solo, any others out there?
Only bikers will ever understand why dogs stick their heads out the car window

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 06:24:56 am »
Knightrider, we'll do that. I can recommend you do the western Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda route. Awesome riding and generally very beautiful.

Don't know what passports you are on but if you are on an RSA or Dutch passport you can get all visas (where required) at the borders until Ethiopia. That visa will have to be applied for either at home or Nairobi.

Getting money along the way has been easy so far. Enough ATMs that with a bit of planning you always have money. And at every border there are guys wanting to change your money, mostly at rates close to bank rate so some left over cash from one country to the next is no issue.  You do need to have some dollars as visas and road taxes mostly require cash dollars (or local currency equivalent cash).

Border crossings have been efficient so far. No bribes asked for at all.

All my memories of doing this trip were from 1979 (not solo, although a colleague of mine did it solo in 1985). I can tell you it is much easier now but still a wonderful experience.

Offline nightrider

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 10:57:07 am »
Thanks for the advice guys - it's all welcome!  We were wondering what to do about money, so that's some good news there about ATMs etc.
Planning going well, have kitted out 2 of the 4 DR650s already (pic attached), doing another one this weekend and one more box of toys to arrive from the US next week. The new acerbis 20L tank in black looks the shizzle, pic attached.  Also put on gel seat kit for a little comfort, bash plate and kaoko throttle control.  Luggage ordered, busy organising luggage racks to be made. 
We start with visas in Jan.  We're all on SA passports except for my boet on a New Zealand passport (ja ja, i know, sheep sha***, but he's family), so hopefully that won't be a problem - he's having to try organise visas on his end.

Offline imo

• Vendors
    • Two 2 Zanzibar
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »
Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!

Skeet and i did a trip to Tanzania, check out the blog: www.two2zanzibar.blogspot.com.  we are planning a cape to cairo trip in 2015, please share your experience, we would love to see how it goes.

one piece of advice, be careful of the trucks and especially the Busses in Zambia and Tanzania, they are frikking crazy.  be safe and have a great time......stay at backpackers, you will meet the most amazing peeps.