Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cape To Cairo 2014  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Fraban

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re: Cape To Cairo 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »
Hi Nightrider, this sounds EPIC!! Enjoy the planning.

My wife and I did the trip en dof 2012 on two 200c MotoMia roadbikes. We did the Western side of Tanzania, very glad we did. ATMs were available most places, except Sudan due to santioncs (almost ran into trouble, coz it's bloody expensive to get into Egypt). In Sudan you can camp anywhere, it very safe. In Egypt we also camped in the dunes in the middle of nowhere in the Western Desert, much nicer than crazy Nile road. We posted every single day on www.crossingafrica.co.za, or if you need any advice PM me anytime. You are going to love it!

Do you have a blog we can follow?

Offline nightrider

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:04 am »
Hi Nightrider, this sounds EPIC!! Enjoy the planning.

My wife and I did the trip en dof 2012 on two 200c MotoMia roadbikes. We did the Western side of Tanzania, very glad we did. ATMs were available most places, except Sudan due to santioncs (almost ran into trouble, coz it's bloody expensive to get into Egypt). In Sudan you can camp anywhere, it very safe. In Egypt we also camped in the dunes in the middle of nowhere in the Western Desert, much nicer than crazy Nile road. We posted every single day on www.crossingafrica.co.za, or if you need any advice PM me anytime. You are going to love it!

Do you have a blog we can follow?

Hey Fraban, I read your story! - we were in the same Jan edition of Drive out - I was the idiot that lost the KLR in the river having battled through the snow!  We will have a web site up real soon and will definitely blog.  Thanks for the offer for advice, will definitely take you up on that, I'll read through your blog first.

Offline Offside

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:46 am »
NR
Envy your trip.
Be aware that its the right side of the road in Burundi, it took me by surprise and I battled to get my head around it especially at the busy traffic circles.
Look forward to following your progress.

Offline Frohan Visser

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »
Hi, I did Cairo to Cape Town solo, it's amazing. I actually started in London, UK and did Europe and Middle East and then crossed into Africa from Israel. The route you've planned is going to blow you away, it's beautiful and not too many shitty bits. Don't solo like I did. Take a mate. Don't bribe, it's not really required, but be patient and watch what you put into the bike and into your mouth. And Learn to change a puncture with your eyes closed before you leave. Oh, and take half the shit you have on your list at the moment. Lastly, don't smoke dope in Malawi if you are taking Larium. Duck tape is good, but heavy duty cable ties can hold a snapped frame together for days. Take some welding rods if you plan to do some off-piste adventures. Eat and sleep with locals but pay them for the service, there are too many bums living off the locals without giving back something.

I think I was (1996) one of the first people to do this UK to Cairo to Cape Town solo, any others out there?
Hi Nightrider...enjoy....you will never regret it!!!  :thumleft:

Hi Attack Dog....good to hear about your trip!!!  :thumleft:

I went up from Cape Town to Egypt in 1994...we started as 4 and eventually I was by myself from Nairobi onwards...
check the story at Role of Honour Ride Reports...."Stellenbosch to Egyptian nightmare"

1986 Suzuki DR 600, Confiscated in Egypt
1992 Suzuki DR 800, sold
1997 Suzuki DR 650, sold
2005 KTM 640 Adv, sold
201.. KTM 690 R in the next 2 years

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 04:50:19 pm »
We just got our Sudan visa in Addis Ababa. Was easy and quick but costs $93. You have one month from date of visa to get into the Sudan (which is why you can't get it in SA) and have a 2 week transit time. You must have an Egyptian visa in your passport first. If you aply for it in Nairobi you will need to have a sponsor in the Sudan and a letter of recommendation from your embassy. These are not required at present when you apply in Addis.

All would have been well if we had not been pickpocketed and lost one iPhone and my bike key. Hopefully replacement key will be here via DHL tomorrow.

Also heard about the cash only in Sudan and lack of ATMs. On the plus side, you get a much better exchange rate for cash dollars than what the official rate is (heard this from a Dutch biker on a 24 year old BMW 750 triple who is on the way South).

Now if anyone knows how to get from Egypt across the meditarenean then that would be welcome info.  Our plan to head through Libya is looking less likely by the day due to visa issues.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline nightrider

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 05:56:32 pm »
We just got our Sudan visa in Addis Ababa. Was easy and quick but costs $93. You have one month from date of visa to get into the Sudan (which is why you can't get it in SA) and have a 2 week transit time. You must have an Egyptian visa in your passport first. If you aply for it in Nairobi you will need to have a sponsor in the Sudan and a letter of recommendation from your embassy. These are not required at present when you apply in Addis.

All would have been well if we had not been pickpocketed and lost one iPhone and my bike key. Hopefully replacement key will be here via DHL tomorrow.

Also heard about the cash only in Sudan and lack of ATMs. On the plus side, you get a much better exchange rate for cash dollars than what the official rate is (heard this from a Dutch biker on a 24 year old BMW 750 triple who is on the way South).

Now if anyone knows how to get from Egypt across the meditarenean then that would be welcome info.  Our plan to head through Libya is looking less likely by the day due to visa issues.

That's great news about the visas, we're struggling to get one for my brother in New Zealand, thanks so much for the feedback!
We were also hoping to get across the med, but with the ferry stopped it scuppered our plans.  We thought about going via sinai into israel but we've heard thats also blocked now :(  Holding thumbs for you.

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 07:42:10 am »
Apparently another place to get a visa for the Sudan is in Kampala. Supposedly even easier Nd quicker than in Addis.

Petrol is plentiful in the Sudan and at R7/liter (diesel R5/l) nice and cheap.

We are contemplating the route via Israel but today the Libyan embassy inKhartoum told us that we can get a transit visa on entry (from Egypt) at Musaid. This is very contrary to anything we have heard so far and will have to think a bit before we chance this option.

There are plenty blogs on doing this trip. The one from Edinburgh to Cape Town looks quite good with some great video clips. http://www.africa-overland.net

Offline zook

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 09:32:30 pm »
Hi Nightrider, hou ons ophoogte met jul beplanning en trip, ek en skoonpa reel ook so i trip. Ons wil van bo na onnir ry, Met wie kry jy jou bikes terug?
Farban, is dit julle wat saam met die voetspore manne in Egipte ge-travel het?

Leke beplan en travel!

Offline zook

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:09 pm »
Fraba, waar het jul petrol gekry in die witwoestyn pad?

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »
We got fuel at Dahla Oasis, Farafra Oasis and Bahariya Oasis.  As long as you can comfortably do 400 kms you should be ok.  The trick is to fill up often, even when you don't think you need it yet as many times you are referred to the next petrol station. 

Offline TweeWiel

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:10 pm »
Hi Nightrider. Great to hear theres more people with the same idea. a Friend and I are also planning on leaving from Cape town in April,heading up to Ethiopia.

Hows things going with the visas? Any advice? Wheres the best place to sort that out? I believe the AA will help with all the bike ''visas''.

Another thing is the cost you pay to get the bike into a country(Carnae?? charge) It seems very high for Ethiopia and Egypt, any way around that?

Cheers and all of the best with your planning!

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
Re: Re: Re: Cape To Cairo 2014
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 06:52:04 am »
Hi Nightrider. Great to hear theres more people with the same idea. a Friend and I are also planning on leaving from Cape town in April,heading up to Ethiopia.

Hows things going with the visas? Any advice? Wheres the best place to sort that out? I believe the AA will help with all the bike ''visas''.

Another thing is the cost you pay to get the bike into a country(Carnae?? charge) It seems very high for Ethiopia and Egypt, any way around that?

Cheers and all of the best with your planning!

Got a mate in addis. Pm me for his details

From the Drol's phone
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 09:27:40 am »

Tweewiel - no way round that as far as I know other than to make sure you get the lowest value registered for your bike.  If you are in Cape Town, PM me and we can get together for some info (must be in next week though).  I have just returned from this trip.

Offline dawieMAN

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 06:08:47 am »
SUPER jealous!  :thumleft:
I am looking forward to following your progress.

Good Luck

Offline nightrider

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 11:17:40 pm »
Time files and I can't believe we're off this weekend!  Visas are done, bikes serviced, gps loaded, 2 pairs of underpants packed and we're good to go.  We'll be keeping a blog on our website if anyone wants to follow our progress (http://www.thiswayupafrica.co.za), and will try and update it en route.  Thanks for all the advice and support everyone ( especially JL) - inspirational stuff!  Cairo here we come.... 

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 07:28:07 am »
That is wonderful to hear.  Have a safe and memorable journey.

Offline Fraban

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 06:36:26 pm »
Hi Nightrider, sorry haven't been on here in AGES...

Yip, I read your story on drowning the KLR in Sutherland. Legends! I enjoyed that. I also had a KLR, miss it a lot.

Have you set up a blog yet? Sorry if I you had and I misread it here.

Zook, yes we shipped back with Voetspore. Not sure how we'd manage on our own. Egypt red-tape is out of this world!! My neighbour in SA helped a lot from this side as well. Next time I'll ship up and drive down.

We managed to find petrol in all the Oases in the Western Desert, so if you can do 350 km you should be fine (but remeber a strong wind from the front can make a big difference.) We had 7L bags, so could do 600 each easily. At one Oasis, I think it was Fharafra we had to buy from a restaurant owner who sold to us from a paint can. We paid four times the going rate, which equated to about R8 per litre! Petrol was around R1.5 to R2 per litre in the desert.

I'd do it again tomorrow!