Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What's your idea of off-road?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
What's your idea of off-road?
« on: May 29, 2006, 05:37:29 pm »
I see the word off-road is being loosely used around this forum like a old whore :lol:  Ja well, that's what this site is about anyway. :lol:  

What does the word off road mean to you? Is it a leisurely cruise on a dirt road that is like a tar road. Maybe a bit of anthills and some sandy patches  or hardcore technical riding? And then very fast long dirt road stretches.

For example, if LITO explains how impressive his Ketoom is off-road I need to know what his off-road means. I think his off-road is a few sandy patches on Clifton beach. My idea of that is to know that this bike can actually scale a rocky outcrop with tennis ball size rocks. Don't loose yourself LIto it is just an example. :twisted:  :lol:

If I say I ride 80% off road is this enduro type riding or just gravel road to the plaas and back? My idea of 80% off-road means I need an enduro bike. I have friends that ride BMW Dakar's where most baboons can't walk and I struggle to ride a enduro bike.

Is there suggestions where we can categories this, or other terminology so most people will understand the skill level or ability of the bike and the terrain?

Offline Rebel

• Forum Vendor
  • Pack Dog
    • http://www.countrytrax.co.za
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 05:51:42 pm »
I consider the terrain to be offroad when I have to stand to get through.

Off road motorcycle training academy, for all brands of dualsport and enduro bikes
http://www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 05:57:59 pm »
I guess off-road should mean anything that is not a road..... (OFF ROAD)

Dirt roads - (dirt , brown stuff)
Tar Roads - (Tar, black stuff)

I think the term is often used loosely for anything that is not a tar road....
KTM 1190 ADV R

shark_za

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:04:09 pm »
Good topic as it does get a bit of a blur with dual purpose riders.

Example this weekend we did a bit, offroad could only be the paths fron De Wildt to the other sand road, this was mostly single track where the locals walked paths,and a few whoops, and then only when we were in the riverbed.

You could put a speed limit on it, and say that anything you cant really ride more than 30kph on is offroad, but then a small stroker could fly over there at 80kph.

To me offroad is when I get stuck on the KLR and wish I was on the KDX. Till then its all still trails riding.

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 06:59:25 pm »
Anything off tarmack that normal road bikes can not handle or can not go:?
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 07:09:14 pm »
So if I say the BMW Dakar is better than the KtM640 Adv on off-road do you understand what I am saying? Can you get a picture of what I am actually trying to describe you? :wink: What/where off-road is the bike better? On a good gravel road or on a very technical slow terrain?

I understand off-road is not tar, but there is levels and perceptions of off-road and my perception and your perception is not the same.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 09:21:21 pm »
Maybe it could be listed as ?hard-core?, which would be thick sand, mud, pathways and very technical conditions where speeds can be anywhere between crawling speed and 30 kph.
?Soft-core? would be average dirt roads, passable in a normal 2 X 4 bakkie where speeds can be anywhere between 30 kph and however big your cajones are.
 I think the levels of competence depend on a riders experience and capabilities; I have ridden with guys that will ride an 1150 Adv in ways that I would not ride a KDX 200!
I have done many kilo?s off road in Namibia, but these are pretty soft-core compared to where Shark and the guys rode in that river bed this weekend, but maybe some sort of definition of extremity would be a good idea, as long as it does not become a contest as to who can do what, which is not what off road riding is about to me.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 10:59:12 pm »
Hey Mishmis!

Dont mock Clifton... its very technical. With all the boobies staring at you, it can get moera difficult. Plus those stairs down to 4th... PHEW!!!!

So whats your question?
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 11:48:45 pm »
Quote from: "funacide"
I guess off-road should mean anything that is not a road..... (OFF ROAD)

Dirt roads - (dirt , brown stuff)
Tar Roads - (Tar, black stuff)

I think the term is often used loosely for anything that is not a tar road....

:withstupid:

Problem is that more often than not a trip involves different conditions. From easy trail riding to more hardcore technical stuff and yes, hardcore for some is maybe level 2 for others so one would always get differences in opinion.

If you want to be technical about it, why not use the rating system? Was a forum topic in the beginning. Maybe time to revisit the topic. http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rating+system

Once everyone understands the ratings, it would be nice to read reports with ratings attached. Pictures shows a lot but sometimes/most of the times does not show the reality of the degree of difficulty experienced.

"We did some off-road bla,bla,bla etc. Most of it was level 1-2 but we had some mud/loose sand that was more technical, say 3-4 rating "  

or do one say:

"We did some DS riding bla,bla,bla etc. Most of it was easy but we had some off-road conditions that was more technical"   :?

Or am I getting too technical here?
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Nico

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 08:02:01 am »
I would have to say that a dirt road is still a road, and hence not offroad.

I reckon anywhere that I cannot go with my little Golf qualifies as off-road. So pretty much jeeptrack, singletrack, and dirt roads that are more dirt than road.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 08:32:18 am »
I try not to use the term 'off-road' at all

I rather say: dirt road, gravel road, sandy track, muddy trail, forest path etc.
Off road to me means riding with no trail/track in front of you and leaving a spoor behind you. Good examples are: riverbeds, deserts, grass lands etc.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:43:47 am »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
Dont mock Clifton... its very technical. With all the boobies staring at you

:useless:

I consider anything not tar as being offroad, more technical stuff would be perceived by my self as either moto-x style (which I don't have the ability to do i.e. wheelies, jumps etc) or enduro which I would hope by now the stuff I have done can classify as entry level on that. I can see how the confusion can start now as suddenly everyone with a DS is doing off-roading which a few years ago was basically moto-x hardcore stuff.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 10:59:33 am »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
I try not to use the term 'off-road' at all

I rather say: dirt road, gravel road, sandy track, muddy trail, forest path etc.
Off road to me means riding with no trail/track in front of you and leaving a spoor behind you. Good examples are: riverbeds, deserts, grass lands etc.

and this is why LS qualifies as a member of the class homo sapiens. :wink:
good topic michnus, and some interesting feedback. although the reader of a report (for example) will never be able to fully understand the road/trail that was ridden, i believe that ls' feedback provides a practical solution and i for one will endeveour to follow same (with pics!).
with regard to which rider/bike performs better 'off road', there will always be a subjective element to what is stated; nothing like a one-on-one here. but i also believe that with time some generalities gets established, eg that a klr in itself is a better bike off road than a ta.
as with quantum science it is thus evident that the role of the observer is critical in coming to conclusions or theorising.

shark_za

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 11:23:40 am »
Then actually we should never ride offroad, it would be ecologically bad if we make new tracks.
If there is a track to a place, best it be followed.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 11:31:10 am »
Making new tracks is generally bad. But I'm sure there are exceptions.

... I still can't believe wino called me a homo ...

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 01:02:40 pm »
Quote from: "michnus"
but just a dirt road and there is very little skill to ride on a dirt road, except of course it rains and it becomes a slippery mess.

tar in rain can too be a slippery mess.

i will go with LS's version with use of a more exact description.
apart from a sand trail near west beach, i dont really think i have been offroad.
roads are just that - roads. with just different surfaces or gradients to consider.
off-road, is definately as the gautengers would do such as riverbeds, or the "rock" itself and the capies have west beach bush trails.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 01:07:28 pm »
I will have to keep my offroad word usage in check from now on... :shock:

I usually refer to being off the tar as offroad weather it be the sypaadjie in corlett drve or the footpath between the houses i take home to break the monogamy(sp??) of the black stuff.

Offline Leo

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 01:23:11 pm »
Off-road for me is off a paved road.

Off road is then classified from level 1 to 5 with 1 being the flat open sections (160km/h plus)  like from Calvinia to Ceres, or any of the stretches that connected the special stages on last year's red route at the GAGSC.

Level 5 would be something like the route we did on sunday in the Jericho river bed!

...........and 2 - 4 somewhere in between  8)
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 01:35:09 pm »
Quote from: "Leo"
Off-road for me is off a paved road.

Off road is then classified from level 1 to 5 with 1 being the flat open sections (160km/h plus)  like from Calvinia to Ceres, or any of the stretches that connected the special stages on last year's red route at the GAGSC.

Level 5 would be something like the route we did on sunday in the Jericho river bed!

...........and 2 - 4 somewhere in between  8)

Me likes this explanation the best. Otherwise we need a dictionary reference sticky to look up what's what.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 01:53:47 pm »
why do we need a standardised term?
can't we just discribe road surfaces using normal words like firm sand and loose rocks?

I really don't see myself typing things like 'type 0' or 'grade 3' etc.