Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why buy an adventure bike if you are not adventuring?  (Read 7078 times)

Offline ALLEN I

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline ALLEN I

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Re: Why buy an adventure bike if you are not adventuring?
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2013, 10:06:35 pm »
You no the main thing involved here is not what they bought the bikes for. in the end be it tar or dirt they enjoying the freedom of being part of a biking community. We all know some ous out there have a yuppie attitude but lets not judge all in that category. Ride to Live. Live to Ride

The irony, is that the situation was the other way around from our perspective. Guys who buy bikes and actually use them for what they are intended get frowned upon by those who don't - that is my point.

Ag wat, so be it.....time for good coffee.
I understand where you going with this. I wear my colours even when doing off road so when i get of the bike and walk into a place some dirt riders look at me a bit weird
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline Raka

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Die Dominee
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2013, 10:09:43 pm »
Most of us have some pose attitude when we ride our bikes. We all feel a bit Steve McQueen when we ride into a small dorpie all kitted up and dusty and revving our noisy pipes, but so what.

The trick is to have a sense of humor and be able to laugh at ourselves.

I've read the full 6 pages , and this remark should be seen as the epilogue to this thread !!! :thumleft:

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:51 pm »
Most of us have some pose attitude when we ride our bikes. We all feel a bit Steve McQueen when we ride into a small dorpie all kitted up and dusty and revving our noisy pipes, but so what.

I've read the full 6 pages , and this remark should be seen as the epilogue to this thread !!! :thumleft:
:laughing4:

BUT, there's a clear difference between a DS rider and a superbiker.

In the end we all enjoy our bikes. And just maybe BMW/KTM/Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda knew that a DS would cater to a wider market. Built for off-road but also comfy as a long distance cruiser.
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline fixit

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2013, 10:28:45 pm »
Additional story from that encounter...the place was packed with bikers, everyone sitting under the roof of the bar. Us few, between many, sit and joke around a table in the ever so light rain.

The one gentle gathers all the attension and calls out to me with; "if that is what you look like after riding a bike, then you should rather not". Everyone laughs in agreement

So I turn around and; "If you don't look like this after riding a bike, then you haven't riden a bike". Whole biker bar full of pissed of bikers with reflex laughter.

Needless to say, we were left to ourselves after that

???......, senseless statements from either parties.

Stop stirring and post picks of your new invention..... :biggrin:

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2013, 10:44:36 pm »
So twee of drie jaar gelede ry ek en Newguy vanaf die Breede Bash (buite Worcester)  terug Kaap toe oor Franschhoek-pas
en stop in Franschhoek vir 'n brekfis.

Ons was in vol ATTGAT en vol stof op die klere en bikes van die naweek se ryery.

By die tafel langsaan sit 'n man en vrou wat toe met ons begin gesels en toe vir ons
'n (soort van) kompliment gee en sê dat ons van al die ouens met sogenaamde "adventure"
bikes het wat hulle nog ontmoet het, die enigste ouens is wat werklik lyk of ons
regtig van die teerpad afgaan en regtig vol stof op ons klere en op ons bikes is.

Volgens hulle was ons regte "adventure" riders.   ;D

BTW.............Ons was nie eers op KTM's of (moderne) BMW's daar nie.
Ek op 'n DRZ en Newguy was op 'n R80

Dit het my nogal insig gegee oor hoe mense die dualsport fraternity sien en ervaar.

Lees ook gerus van die ander ervaring wat ek paar jaar gelede beleef het.
Dit was een van my snaakste oomblike nog op 'n ride..... :snorting:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=33089.msg627541#msg627541

Was dit dieselfde DRZ waarop jy een oggend al staande van HDCT af tot in die Waterfront gery het, silwerskoon?  :imaposer:

Dit was ook 'n goeie adventure storie  :deal:

:peepwall:

Ja..... Die silwerskoon DRZ...... ek het hom toe net gekry en my gat was moertoe seer van die sitplek.  ;D
Om teerpad met 'n DRZ te ry op aggro knobblies is adventure biking in sy extreme  vorm.  :deal:  :ricky:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:45:31 pm by Operator »

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2013, 11:54:53 pm »
My Adventure bikes always do more Tar than dirt. But I do dirt, I love it  :thumleft:

But, like said here, Adv bikes is the best allround bikes. From Commuting to Touring.
If they arent allowed to buy them for tar riding only, what must they buy then??

Only Harleys and Superbikes?
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Grolls

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Think Pink - Think Aeropink
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2013, 01:39:15 am »
They are just running in our future bikes when we can afford to buy the bikes from them   :peepwall:
Think Pink ........... Think Aeropink

086 111 PINK

Offline mielieboer

« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2013, 06:11:59 am »
 :peepwall:

Offline barry13

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2013, 06:26:42 am »
For me, because I can only afford to buy one bike that has to do everything and go everywhere there is no option it has to be my 1200GSA. I commute, I tour, I adventure, whatever. Also when I do go off road for a trip I only wash the bike when I get home so during the trip it stays dirty / muddy etc. Having a DS bike gives you the great feeling that you can go wherever you want whenever you want and that for me is the best part.
Owned at last count 55 bikes over the years.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2013, 06:34:22 am »

Yip...a bit of this...i don't question why i feel king when on my bike.
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2013, 06:39:26 am »
Additional story from that encounter...the place was packed with bikers, everyone sitting under the roof of the bar. Us few, between many, sit and joke around a table in the ever so light rain.

The one gentle gathers all the attension and calls out to me with; "if that is what you look like after riding a bike, then you should rather not". Everyone laughs in agreement

So I turn around and; "If you don't look like this after riding a bike, then you haven't riden a bike". Whole biker bar full of pissed of bikers with reflex laughter.

agg Lycan ......... you are just a trouble maker  :laughing4:

nice meeting you Punicher

See you are a good judge of character  :3some:
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2013, 06:43:04 am »
Contrary to some opinions here, there are actually zero difference in general between D/S and superbike riders. I have done both for many years, and you meet the same people in either group.
You meet the superbike rider that uses his bike as a tool, like a D/S rider such as Crossed-up, Andy660, etc. Zero posing here, just riding enjoyment.

You meet the superbike rider that is dressed like o pro, but rides like a po@s, he finds his equal in D/S riders that poses and not ride.

You meet the rider in both groups that poses, and rides.

Oh boy, look like there is all types out there......... :eek7:

Offline Sparky

• a darkside
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2013, 06:53:15 am »
I mostly ride my bike to the pub and around town. Only if I have the time, I will venture off road. And there are plenty of dogs here that do the same type of thing.

Why do you care how others see you? Just do what you want. :thumleft:
"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2013, 07:42:26 am »

agg Lycan ......... you are just a trouble maker  :laughing4:

nice meeting you Punicher

See you are a good judge of character  :3some:

Yup , I can spot your "type" a mile off. Hahahha
Was good to meet you and the others aswell :D
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline ilikemybike

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2013, 07:56:46 am »
So true, most DS riders greet others on the road, but must say its hard to get any reaction from many ( not all) who ride Harleys, even riders of superbikes would nod and greet. I was at Donford Stellenbosch on Tuesday and there was a guy having coffee wearing everything money can buy, wish you could see the look on the poor (rich??) mans face, guess its true what they say.......money can't buy happiness , get rid of the attitude and the gear dude and enjoy your bike , that's why we have 'em (or why I do at least) ???
What I find sad is when you ask a question or try to understand and people think you are fighting or judging.

That and back tracking  :pot:

Sorry to disappoint you Dwerg. It was how the other guys viewed us dirty bikers and dirty bikes that got me thinking actually, not the other way around.

I'm reading this post with a smile on my face. Went to pick up a waterpump for my Dakar one Saturday at Donford Stellenbosch. Guys sitting there having brekkie had all the gear, bikes was spotless and clean and you could see they they were regulars. I walked in with muddy boots, and mud-stained clothes and got this "Couldn't you at least have cleaned you and your bike before you came here" look.

Each to his own I guess. You won't see guys with Ferrari's tearing it up at Killarney. But visit a trackday at Zwartkops and you'll be hard pushed to see a Golf or a Corolla. Instead there'll be TVR's, Mclarens and GTRs.

One thing I can say of all DS riders, it's the most friendly bunch of people you'll find anywhere on the road. Haven't passed a single DS rider, no matter what bike he/she has, that haven't greeted me.

I bought a bike to spend time in the outdoors off the beaten track. And that's exactly what I do.
"  Love All - Trust Few - Do wrong to none  "

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2013, 10:03:12 am »
I hardly ever ride my bike in the city, to the shop or to work.

If I ride tar, it is usually on a trip on my way to a lekker dirt road or a weekend ride.

I usually ride on a longish trip once or twice a year, due to the fact that I have to work to earn a living so that I can afford these luxuries.

I do not like to ride in thick sand, so Subie, yes, I do not have more than 30 years riding experience.

I ride at my own pace, enjoying my friends and my son's companionship, the views and the outdoor experience.

I guess I am a poser then........

Offline LoodPb

• Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2013, 10:06:34 am »
You answered yourself....

"its my money and I can do what I like with it"

Live and let live.

Grrrrreat awnser GRRRRR, you are correct, live and let live O0

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2013, 10:41:14 am »
I ride bike... call it and me what you want.  :biggrin:

and that my friend puts it all in perspective
fornicate the proletariat

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2013, 10:45:05 am »
Its amazing how upset people get over a fairly simple question  :biggrin:

I suppose because some assume there was some sort of judgement behind the question - when there may not necessarily have been.

The "its a road bike with some off road capability" types of DS bikes actually have a very wide range of use making them good for quite a few different types of applications, not just pure DS applications - as a few have pointed out here - so that's one answer.

Also people are different:
I remember in the army there was a nice guy from Northern Cape in our bungalow who had one of those old "dik wiel" type bicycles.  One day I was bored so I asked him if I could take it for a ride.  I went for a great little spin through a nearby donga, trying to get over rocks and all sorts of things. When I got back he was furious!  I was quite taken aback - but later when I saw his car I realised that he was the type of person who took great pride in how clean and polished all his stuff was - and the idea of a scratch or getting it really dirty was horrifying to him.  

I just didn't see things the same way.  
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.