Why buy an adventure bike if you are not adventuring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
This past weekend we spent playing on gravel, exploring, river crossings, meeting new people, slipping on mud and then pulled in at a local bikers joint. Our bikes were dirty as were we - mud and dust everywhere. Three other adventure bikers parked next to us - their adv bikes spotless, no scratches, no dirt, no mud, but all the gear, brands etc. I doubt if those bikes saw any gravel, ever. I dont know the guys or their backgrounds.

The purpose of "adventure" model bikes is well, adventure not so? DS or adventure bikes are made, from what I understand, to be dual purpose - gravel and tar, to do what other normal bikes are not designed for, or to at least make it easier.

So now, why do I see so many "adventure" bikers that got all the kit and branded gear and stuff, but dont adventure at all? The bikes always look like they just came off the showroom floor and never saw any gravel in their cushioned life. Why ride such a type of bike if you are not going to use it for what it was designed for? Why not buy a non-adventure bike that is cheaper and more applicable?

Is it money, is it image, is it posers, is it "its my money and I can do what I like with it" or what? So sad to see these type of adventure bikers not adventuring.

Just asking.