Riding Etiquette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
What do you guys/gals consider good riding etiquette? Sorry to use such a moffie word (etiquette) but for lack of a better option I will use it.
I consider riding etiquette to be the ability of all that I ride with to consider everyone?s well being at all times. There is nothing worse than riding with people that always have a ?point to prove?, this is ok when all the riding is close to home, as long as other people?s lives are not endangered, ie. if that person crashes his/her brains out because he/she was riding beyond his/her means just to prove a point, it is not really a problem because professional help would be close at hand and the rest of the parties fun would not be too badly compromised, but if this kind of thing should occur on a long trip/tour, the rest of the people?s holiday would be seriously compromised, not really fair. If a freak accident were to occur when all parties are riding well within their means, then so be it, it could happen to anybody and the rest of the group should be quite happy to deal with the consequences, no matter what they are.
I have ridden with a variety of people over the years, some I will ride to the end of the earth with and others I would not ride around the block with. It is important to me to know what people?s riding abilities and levels of sensibility are before I go on a long trip with them, or they with me.
IMO there are certain rules of riding etiquette, my ?rules? are not always the same as other people?s rules, but I always have the choice to ride with other people or not.
Some of my riding etiquette rules are:
Always arrive at the departure point with a full tank of fuel and a bike in good condition.
Arrive with a good sense of humour; you never know when you will need it.
Have all the necessary documentation, passports etc.
Be self-sufficient.
Never ride in my blind spot; I will not ride in yours.
Don?t ride as if you have a point to prove, I have nothing to prove to you.
Always try and learn from the more experienced riders, and try and help the less experienced.
The trip/tour starts at the point of departure, not at the destination.