Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sorted - Soft Luggage Frame  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Sorted - Soft Luggage Frame
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
I have been thinking about a soft luggage frame for my K50. Something that will hook into the current pannier slots and can be fitted or removed in less than 10 minutes. Initial thoughts:

Frame out of bent SS tube (like on GSA) with CNC cut SS sheet inside the frame (GS logo and other weight saving holes). I intend to mount it to the top pannier slots and anchor using the current pannier anchor point.

I have all the material at home. I need access expertise and machinery to make the bends, cut the SS sheet and weld SS. I can also use advice/input regarding the design and manufacturing. And please, if anyone has done this already, please point it out so I can go buy those :-)

I like the Wild@Heart frame for the Wolfman luggage but I am looking for something smaller to fit these:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:48:31 am by Lord Knormoer »

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
Re: Sorted - Soft Luggage Frame
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:49:23 am »
After talking to myself for a couple of days I managed to make it work without frames.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:07:07 pm »
Jis ja! Nou wys daar vir ons 'n pics!! :ricky:
KDX 200
YFZ 450
BMW R1200GS LC
BMW R1200GS ADV LC
Current: R1200GS ADV LC

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:08:59 pm »
Wat sal jy se in opinie, hoekom soft luggage en nie panniers nie???

Ek moet ook begin kyk na die 2 opsies en weet nog self nie waarvoor ek moet gaan nie.
KDX 200
YFZ 450
BMW R1200GS LC
BMW R1200GS ADV LC

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »
Offroad, soft luggage. Touring on tar, panniers.

Soft luggage has no security but also does not break or damage the bike when you fall.

Panniers offers better protection but generally does not cope well with falling.

Just my opinion. My brother recently fell on tar with his wife on the back and is convinced the pannier saved her leg.

I guess in the end it's a matter of working out what kind of riding you will do and get the appropriate luggage. I use both dependant on the route and type of riding. Off tar I only use soft luggage.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:05 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
KDX 200
YFZ 450
BMW R1200GS LC
BMW R1200GS ADV LC

Offline NeelsK

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:35 am »

Soft luggage has no security but also does not break or damage the bike when you fall.

Panniers offers better protection but generally does not cope well with falling.
Agree.  As for security: When I use my soft luggage I take a pacsafe with.  Just pull it over the luggage etc and lock it.  Will try to get you some pics of that in the next few days, but here is the link to pacsafe if you dont know the product. http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-85l-backpack-protector
~~~
R1200GS Adv (2011) - X : F800GS (2010) - X : R1200GS LC (2013) - X : F700GS (2014) - X : RnineT (2014) : R1200GSA (2012)

Offline T Rex

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:27:28 am »

Just my opinion. My brother recently fell on tar with his wife on the back and is convinced the pannier saved her leg.

I guess in the end it's a matter of working out what kind of riding you will do and get the appropriate luggage. I use both dependant on the route and type of riding. Off tar I only use soft luggage.

Ek gebruik ook altwee..... Trax Panniers as ek en my vrou ry ..... Meer pakplek.

Off Road gebruik ek Wolfmann se sakke.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:17:12 am »
Gaan kuier by Johan - Wild@Heart en kyk na sy luggage frame met die Wolfman sakke.

Ek gebruik die Bacbones sakke wat nie meer beskikbaar is nie. Net genoeg vir een persoon met kamp toerusting vir 2-4 dae (My vrou ry nie saam nie)

As ek ooit 'n langer grond ekspidisie aanpak sit ek Wolfman op. Dis my volgende koop.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:22:15 am by Lord Knormoer »

Offline T Rex

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 04:50:15 pm »
Hierdie is nou nie vir die LC nie , maar ek wil net vir jou wys hoe ek die SW Motech Rakke ( vir die Trax Panniers)  op my GS ....of die SW Motech adaptor plates vir die GSA ........saam met die "Wolfmann adaptor plates" gebruik.

So kan ek binne 5 minute swop tussen die harde en sagte bagasie. Die rakke bly op die fietse.

As jy mooi kyk sien jy die Trax box se bobbins vasggeskroef op die Wolfmann plate. Die swart agter is Twalacom se toolbox op my GSA. Hy pas agter die GSA se bagasierak in.

Hier is die Wolfmann sakke op my GS.

Foto van naby.