Ride through southern cape U turning in the Karoo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XTJoe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
As we need to work through the december period  and have to much leave we took a few days to see paradise and some. If the weather went crappy the plan was to go up north to Calvinia/Williston through the Tankwa as the Cape summer weather  turned rainy a few days before the time. Got hold of Chris L for places to see roads to follow as my old style Shell map is pretty useless in that sense. As we have never been to Stillbay and i heard about a road along the coast who better to ask and he colours in the route so nice in his description. As the weather changed for the better we left on saturday for Stillbay via Napier/Bredasdorp/Malgas/Witsand and then planned over Vermaaklikheid to Stilbay. All went well until we were looking for directions out of Witsand when a farmer informed us that we would not be able to cross the river and headed back via N2 around Heidelberg?Riversdale to Stilbay. Had a nice tar run knyping the german a bit through the nice tar corners. Stilbay was quite a surprise, i could not believe the size expecting a little Witsand/Stanford type a place and running a combo of Strand & Gordonsbay but without the shops. Nice place and very clean. After a longish day had a nice steak at "on the rocks" (reasonble pricing and good portions-highly recomended) and a early evening having a stare off with a looney looking spider.
pics of Ricks contemp art in napier- makes swell stuff out of scrap metal/crossing Malgas/loony sider at Stilbay river lodge and stilbay

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG