Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sooooooo I got a KTM 950  (Read 46350 times)

Offline The TRANSPORTER

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
Re: Sooooooo I got a KTM 950
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:15 am »
I doubt that you will find a better sand rider than Kamanya no matter what tyres his on :thumleft:

With regard to fuel consumption i do believe my older 950 bought years ago from Roelof Marais here on the forum was lighter on fuel than my later 990's. ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:53:40 am by The TRANSPORTER »
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2017, 08:59:52 am »
Lank al over due dat ek die 950 bietjie bederf met iets nuuts.
A paar nuwe takkies, Kenda bigblocks, a bash plate.

Ekt by Kalahari challenge die agter lig stikkend geval en het ook daar baie gesikkel met bike wat warm word, dis gaan ek nou bietjie diepper en meer deeglik soek vir a problem. Nuwe radiator prop om mee te begin.

Behalwe die hitte storie is ek baie gelukig met die 2003 950.

Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:48 am »
Dit was tyd om aandag te gee aan my 950.
1. nuwe bande (Kenda big blocks)
2. nicer bash plate.
3. nuwe olie en filter
4. replace radiator cap and antifreeze
5. fork sox  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Groete
Philip Kuhn

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2018, 02:46:04 pm »
More is dit aan!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:07:56 am by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2018, 08:44:21 am »
Ekt begin krap laas week, om hitte dinge uitgesort. Na diens het ek bike laat warm idle om olie en alles te check.
Fan skakel aan, maar hier is die ding, die fan draai verkeerd om, blaas inplaas van suig. Dit loop al soo vanaf my laaste groot val.

Maar ons het Sondag in 40C gery en fiets het geen issues gegee, net lekker geloop, ek is baie tevrede.

Groete
Philip Kuhn

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2018, 09:05:53 am »
That's a new one!

The only thing in my mind that would do that is the polarity has been swapped at the plug. The plug to the fan is made so that it is impossible to plug it in wrong. The only way to reverse the polarity is to take the wires out and re-insert them reversed in the plug.

The plug sits behind the radiator and is almost impossible to get at without taking the tanks off. Is it possible that the polarity at the plug was accidentally swapped during a service? It would have been very easy to miss until now.

Do you service your own bike?
I wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

The following users thanked this post: PHILIPKUHN

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2018, 02:53:02 pm »
That's a new one!

The only thing in my mind that would do that is the polarity has been swapped at the plug. The plug to the fan is made so that it is impossible to plug it in wrong. The only way to reverse the polarity is to take the wires out and re-insert them reversed in the plug.

The plug sits behind the radiator and is almost impossible to get at without taking the tanks off. Is it possible that the polarity at the plug was accidentally swapped during a service? It would have been very easy to miss until now.

Do you service your own bike?

Thank You Kamanya
Yes the 2 wires was switched, I fixed it.
Service my own bike, that's how you get to know it and what to look for.
I service every 8000km, stay in Kathu and do not trust mechanics, if I need advice I call Heddles.
He is always helpful and knows his stuff.

Groete
Philip Kuhn

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:12 am »
Nog a lekker trip wat voorle. 950 kry weer bietjie aandag en a extra 6L petrol.  :thumleft:
Groete
Philip Kuhn

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2018, 06:42:34 am »
Volgende naweek gaan ons a sand trippie doen. ek dreig al lank om crushbars stywer te maak.
Die naweek iets in plek gesit, die trip sal a goeie toets wees. Lyk nie te indie pad.
Groete
Philip Kuhn

Offline Tabasco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2018, 01:19:14 pm »
Crash bar brace --  that is the right idea but be warned that bar takes alot of impact in an off
the closer the "bends" are to each other the easier the force will be displaced to the middle (which you do not want)
you want the force to be spread - check out the SW Motech brace how that is shaped - my advice would be to copy it

In your case I get the feeling the radiator is in danger of absorbing some of the impact (I could be wrong)
while you at it - also replace the radiator guard for a SS one (the one from the agent is not expensive)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2018, 01:42:25 pm »
Crash bar brace --  that is the right idea but be warned that bar takes alot of impact in an off
the closer the "bends" are to each other the easier the force will be displaced to the middle (which you do not want)
you want the force to be spread - check out the SW Motech brace how that is shaped - my advice would be to copy it

In your case I get the feeling the radiator is in danger of absorbing some of the impact (I could be wrong)
while you at it - also replace the radiator guard for a SS one (the one from the agent is not expensive)

I was wondering this morning on the stainless steel radiator guard. Is there any use in swopping the plastic out for it? Wont the plastic work just as well?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Tabasco

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2018, 01:12:38 pm »

I was wondering this morning on the stainless steel radiator guard. Is there any use in swopping the plastic out for it? Wont the plastic work just as well?
Peace of mind & think the SS one was ~R300 back in the day

Offline peteb

• There is no such thing as common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2018, 07:51:30 am »
Volgende naweek gaan ons a sand trippie doen. ek dreig al lank om crushbars stywer te maak.
Die naweek iets in plek gesit, die trip sal a goeie toets wees. Lyk nie te indie pad.
I bought a pair of second hand twisted bars for my bike. I also wasn't happy about how they were braced and bolted on, and a few other things. So after straightening them i cut them shorter, so that I have access to the front panels for removal without removing the crash bars.

Then I built a cross member across the front of the bike. It conforms to the shape of the ally, but doesn't actually press on it (there is a piece of old inner tube between it and the ally). It mounts with collars which fit into the recess of the original bolts. I have also kept the bolt head sizes consistent with original for removal with tools. If you look closely you can see I also welded extra nut onto the end of the stock bash plate bolts; I found the stock bolt heads very shallow, and dished, and tools slip easily when working at funny angles under the bike - far better now.

Then I triangulated as best I could tubing which goes down from the crashbar ends to this cross member. The tubing ends in a stud which merely seats into collars on the cross member when you put the bars on.

The bars are MUCH more solid now, and also easier to take of and mount. Also less chance of damage to radiators etc down there.
Sorry, not the best pics, taken at night with cellphone...

Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline armpump

« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:23 am »
Looks good peteb.

Offline Tabasco

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2018, 10:07:45 am »
Now get yourself (SS if possible) threaded studs (the once that fasten with an allen key)
and replace the bolts that hold the crossmember bar + the bash plate
(the other day i was at Midas & saw they have exhaust studs on the counter -- just check the size but the lenght is good)

purpose of this is to do away with the alu bolts and replace with studs + nuts - that way if you want to take bash plate + bars off you only remove the nuts (the studs stay in place)
reason for doing this is because the alu thread will not last with all the in & out of the nuts

Offline peteb

• There is no such thing as common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2018, 10:20:42 am »
Now get yourself (SS if possible) threaded studs (the once that fasten with an allen key)
and replace the bolts that hold the crossmember bar + the bash plate
(the other day i was at Midas & saw they have exhaust studs on the counter -- just check the size but the lenght is good)

purpose of this is to do away with the alu bolts and replace with studs + nuts - that way if you want to take bash plate + bars off you only remove the nuts (the studs stay in place)
reason for doing this is because the alu thread will not last with all the in & out of the nuts
The cross member stays in place to remove the crash bars, so those bolts come out very seldom. To replace the bash plate bolts is not easy because the stock ones - although a 10mm head - are 8mm thread with a big shoulder and washer built in. ie special bolts. I have moved the battery, regulator and solenoid away from the bash plate location. And my most important tool in the garage is BelRay waterproof grease. Every bike I own - even brand new - gets stripped down to the frame and greased before I put it back together.
oh, and my least important tool in the workshop is a pressure washer!  ;)
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2018, 07:23:25 am »
Baie lekker trip. Namakwa 4x4 is a excellent getaway!
Die flying brick fuel bag was a ussume hulp, baie stewige en maklik om vas te maak.
950 het hom baie goed gedra, my impress.

Ek het weer stikkie werk omte doen op my bike.

Het die regter handgaurd stikkend geval, ek kort net die aluminum-hoop gedeelte. PM my as daar iewers een in iemand se kas le.
Verder is daar a waterlek op radiator. Dit sal silverton uitsort.

Groete
Philip Kuhn