WC - HELDERBERG YAMAHA OUTRIDE 16TH Nov

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Of the 11 listed names , 5 of us rode out of rainy cape Town , for a dry day in the Karoo.

I got to  the  garage in in a mild drizzle and sat down in the Wimpy with some coffee.
Not long after Gavin M and the 2 x 1200`s arrive , with a call from Bottervet to confirm we are still going and that he will meet us in Ceres.

Then we are off , the rain has stopped and not long and we are through Baineskloof , we stop half way up the mountain to look at the view , wow , so many waterfalls.

Ceres  comes , refuel full , and we are off.
Thinking , how much it might have rained on those karoo roads, up Therons pass , sand washed over the roads in many places. Ok , there was allot of rain here !

But as we turn off onto the Sutherland road , it doesn't look too bad.I think that it was so dry there that the ground just soaked it all up.
There were some wash aways  and a few stroompies over the road , but no hecktic mud to write home about.

Just lekker grip on the tyres and the damp karoo roads.

Keith 1200 found out that BMW 1200¬s cant do water crossings as well as XT660Z Teneres .
He made it halfway through then coughed and choked as it swallowed too much water going into the intake pipe , En daar staan hy !

He pushed it out

Now the question , Where is your plug spanner ? Erm , I never got one with the bike ! Damn, the yamaha one doesn't fit !
Thebike still swings though , we dry the plug lead suppressors and she nearly takes , Bottervet brings is jumper cables made from Speaker wire , mmm we think , but she fires and after much steam from the exhausts , she runs , damn , just as we were getting ready to tow the BMW 1200 with a Yamaha 1200 , just for 2StrokeDan ! lol

And we are off again , leaving long lines on the damp road.
I run ahead and stop on the koppies to make sure they are still coming.
Gavin and I ride side by side for a couple of kays ramping over the sand wash aways , before he drops back to sweep again.

Then we are back at the  place we slept some years ago on a trip @ Night under the stars in the karoo ', that place has good memories.
We must do that again,
Its about 3 kms up from the Muisbos skerm !

This route is probably one of the best routes as an introduction to true Dual Sport Riding , with a bit of everything and nothing too much , with breath taking scenery and awesome roads.

A must do kind of ride.
The route is loaded on the Planning a ride thread , but I think I will load it here too !

Then around the mountain range past Zeekoeigat and on towards the tankwa to the Tankwa Park road

Gavin m , Keith 1200 , Andy 660 , Keiths cousin and Bottervet

Then west to the Isle of the sky turn off ( Moffat) Lh here and REMEMBER : " CLOSE ALL THE GATES" and there are a few

The way ahead still looks good , no rain

Here they come , I better make tracks !

After some awesome Steak Burgers at Padstal and some cold cokes to wash it down , its was on  and over katbakkies pass.

Attachments

• Tankwa loop Padstal Katbakkies.gdb
    94.5 KB · Views: 58