Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Neutral Sensing Unit (NSU) - Poll  (Read 367 times)

Offline fredda

Neutral Sensing Unit (NSU) - Poll
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:31:19 am »
Hi guys and girls, I am trying to establish if it would be necessary to attend to the NSU if one would buy a new DR650.  ???

Thanks in advance for you feedback.  :thumleft:
Current bike: 2011 BMW R1200R

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: Neutral Sensing Unit (NSU) - Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:28 am »
Out of all my own (8) and my customers DR's (lost count) I had one 1996 model which spat out its NSU screws after some 15,000km. Signs are  tell tale (no neutral light, globe intact). Fished one screw out of the sump under the oil screen, the other one was still in place but loose. Easy job since you can undo the loose Phillips cap screws without removing the clutch basket and fit Allen cap screws with a key which has a ball end.
No collateral damage.

Voted Not worried.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:34:46 am »
Two voters :cheers:
"Do you think the DR650SE's gearbox has a weak point? would have turned in more results ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline fredda

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:30 am »
"Do you think the DR650SE's gearbox has a weak point? would have turned in more results ???
Haha, point taken.
I am not worried about the gearbox, I will however do the NSU fix. I phoned Wayne Heasman Suzuki yesterday, they don't have stock, it will take about 24 hours to get one of the fast white ones.

I have 2 choices, get one in December at a guaranteed price of R54k (which I think is a bargain) OR wait 2-3 weeks and get it in January as a 2014 registration, but with the chance of a slight price increase.

I know, I know, hi-jacking my own thread... ::)
Current bike: 2011 BMW R1200R

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:27:08 am »
I have 2 choices, get one in December at a guaranteed price of R54k (which I think is a bargain) OR wait 2-3 weeks and get it in January as a 2014 registration, but with the chance of a slight price increase.

Buy. And buy as soon as you can afford. The 2013 / 2014 will not make any difference since you will most likely keep it until you are too old to ride.

I'm devastated as I will most likely not be able to afford a new one before they are gone. Salesman at Suzuki South claims there won't be any new ones any more very soon.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:40:26 am »
Haha, point taken.
I am not worried about the gearbox, I will however do the NSU fix. I phoned Wayne Heasman Suzuki yesterday, they don't have stock, it will take about 24 hours to get one of the fast white ones.

I know, I know, hi-jacking my own thread... ::)

well,  the gearbox certainly is something you should worry about - it has taken out more DR's on this forum than the NSU screws.
mine is one,  zetman's another,  & a few others.
last count there was a failure rate of around 10% ON THIS FORUM...

regarding the NSU screws:
on my DR's original motor they were fine,
on the harvested motor that went into my frame, they were also fine,  although i think the switch itself was faulty - light would work when you set off on a ride,  then quit after about 15km,  and after a rest/cool off,  repeat again.