Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Opinion on KTM 640!?!  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Metaljockey

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
Re: Opinion on KTM 640!?!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 02:13:55 pm »
what is a comfortable cruising speed with these on tar?

The bike can easily keep 140km/h, which is what I normally do when doing distance on the 640. The problem is that above 110-120km/h the vibes become very unpleasant. Your hands, feet, arse and inner thigh, where it rests against the tank, will all complain loudly.

If I had the patience to cruise at 110km/h the vibes wouldn't be an issue.

Edit :   It sounds like I'm bitching about the bike but I'm not, there is nothing in the 650 class with the suspension or tank capacity of the 640. Reliability is also good, no known issues in the models since 2003.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 02:19:43 pm by Metaljockey »

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 02:20:04 pm »
Being a single cyclinder engine, I am told they have to be looked at a little sooner, therefore a 640 has a 5000km service interval. It is sort of a "performance" bike - I guess one is really paying for its "ready to race" marketing slogan.

I suppose that's why the KLR also has a 5000 km service interval?
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »
Being a single cyclinder engine, I am told they have to be looked at a little sooner, therefore a 640 has a 5000km service interval. It is sort of a "performance" bike - I guess one is really paying for its "ready to race" marketing slogan.

I suppose that's why the KLR also has a 5000 km service interval?

:laughing4:
Follow me on Instagram for my photos. www.instagram.com/hein_bence/
Or Facebook www.facebook.com/HeinBencePhotography/

Offline Thumpernut

• Bike: KTM 640
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 05:14:05 pm »
Here's my opinion (hopefully balanced) on my 2002 KTM LC4-E 640 SixDays - that's the super-light black enduro version LC4, not the Adventure monster that lugs its own fuel bowser around between your legs. ;)

• Engine: The engine is simple, strong and reliable, and I've never had a breakdown. For me it's a little flat on bottom-end power (compared to say, my ooold TT600 or XR), but pulls like a rocket when the revs pick up, and then it revs like a 2-stroke.  The vibration that people complain about only ever bugged me on long tar sections, and was unnoticeable offroad.
  • Handling: Undoubtedly the best handling thumper and large-engined offroad bike I have ever ridden (and I've had a number over more than 20 years). The bike is extremely nimble when trailing, and very stable at very high speeds on dirt (160+) and tar. The brakes are phenomenal, although after-market brake pads are useless and destroyed a set of my discs. The WP suspension saved my backside a few times, although the bike is not a jumper like an MX bike. Nonetheless, I have had my fair share of nose dives and been rescued by the fantastic WP upside down forks.
  • Comfort: The engine vibration can be minimised by a cheap and simple fix - remove the seat and apply self-adhesive strips of rubber draft insulation (available on a roll from hardware stores) to the frame and tank wherever the seat touches. A sheepskin seat cover or aftermarket seat works well for the touring guys riding the Adventure model. It's not a comfortable bike for a passenger for any length of time due to the sloping seat, despite bolt-on/off footpegs. The ergonomics are similar to an MX bike so one naturally tends to sit on the front half of the seat.
  • Noise: The 2002 stock exhaust was dead quiet, although later stock pipes made the motor sound more like a thumper. I preferred the stock pipe to avoid attracting attention from the Metro-twats when I felt like riding on the road.
  • Maintenance: Parts are very pricey, especially levers. But besides things that I broke myself, I never had to change anything besides fork seals and routine engine service stuff like plugs and filters. The routine engine services by Pro Action have been great, although a few hundred bucks more than I'd like. The oil service is not straight-forward, but getting instructions off the web is easy.

Summary:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Definitely good value for my money and the best handling, fastest thumper I have ever owned. The hydraulic clutch and softer seat on later models were improvements, as was the slightly large fuel tank on the enduro models. I think it could do with another gear and a balancer shaft, but that would make it heavier.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 05:18:01 pm »
thaks thumpernut an MJ... going to check these out i reckon
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline brettp

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 03:27:45 pm »
Ice cream man, a word of advice..... When I was looking around for my 640, I also did loads of research and questions.... I was heavily confused by the performance aspects of the bike, so I considered the comfort aspect of the bike....still confused, I decided to actually test ride the bikes and thse are the bikes I tried: (Remember-at that point I was still riding my GS1200)

Personal point of view
BMW650 - Felt very sluggish low down, picked up and ran well. Still didnt feel very crisp. Engin sound was horrid.... Looks dept was Ok-ish.

KLR650 - Nice bike, comfortable, grunty motor all bi it a little old. Didnt like the handeling too much, felt a little "Washy & heavy".... Looked a little tiered, big dog-ears.

Yammie XT660 - Lekker bike (was my second choice)! Punchy motor - pulled nicely and handled well, although it was a tad heavy! Liked the engin sound even with std pipes.

KTM640 - Was very tall, perhaps to tall for me. Motor was very strong, suspention was plush. Seat was hard. Deciding factor for me was two fold.... I liked the feel of the bike, and it was a bike you dont see often on the road.

My choice didnt conform to logic, I didnt listen to my head, but rather followed my heart....and I am so glad that I did!!!! ;D
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline Chukudeer

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2008, 10:22:48 am »
The 640 is one great bike. Slightly slow on tar but fantastic offroad. ;D ;D big grin foctor!! Even better with a decent pype.
The only complaint I have had was realy, realy, realy bad service from Pro-action on warrenty claims. I have for the past year wanted to "upgrade" to a 990 but every time I take the 640 for a spin the fun factor is just so great that all thoughts of selling the bike just desolves into thin air. Great bike! :headbang: :headbang:
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko