Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013  (Read 53271 times)

Offline MDT

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »
I havnt followed this hole thing. But what will happen when i go up as i do many times and rent a Avis car? Will i be billed by Avis afterwords or what happens? How can Avis or Etoll get me to pay?

And when i go up in my own car will i receive a bill in the post or what happens if us capies go there?

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 03:47:58 pm »
I think the govt. has made a huge mistake here. this is the first chance for saffers to create a huge civil disobedience action. it's actually to our benefit, as there have been no other opportunities en mass to say fark you to the thieves and probably get away with it.  .

this is a positive thing for SA  :thumleft:

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 03:50:13 pm »
I will dispute any bill they send me. Send me a picture, clearly showing my number plate and the alleged time of toll road use for each transaction on your list. If you can't, I won't pay.

Groenie thats exactly what happens every time you pass under a gantry. 2 or three photos are taken and time and date stamped. If you put your etag on another vehicle it detects exactly where that vehicle is and takes its photo. If you are registered and do not have your etag with you the amount charged is double.

You guys ought to feel sorry for us poor bastards living in Northern suburbs of PTA who have sponsored the whole Bakwena highway @ R8 to travel from Zambesi (Maak Gat Toe) Drive to N4 everyday for the last 11 years. So R16 a day x 22 work days = R352 a month to drive a 5km stretch of road each way each day. WHERE WAS ALL THE PROTEST THEN?? What makes it worse is that if I want to take the pokkin Gautrain I still have to go through the same R8 toll gate.
Where are my shorts??

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »
I havnt followed this hole thing. But what will happen when i go up as i do many times and rent a Avis car? Will i be billed by Avis afterwords or what happens? How can Avis or Etoll get me to pay?

And when i go up in my own car will i receive a bill in the post or what happens if us capies go there?

They have your credit card details remember. So, they bill your credit card...

As for your own car, yes, you will get it in the post, but do us all a favour...? PLEASE DO NOT PAY THE FARKIN THING...?  :thumleft:
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline mox

• Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 04:13:23 pm »
look, it might be possible that they will try that, but surely they can't refuse a licence when you are in a dispute with Sanral.

On the other hand, if the numbers are big enough, are they going to refuse a large % of the population licences?
if it is possible on an administration level and legally possible viable I would suggest that all road users renew their licenses now, small mandelas to fork out in the bigger picture. this would make life a living hell for the licensing departments and for sanral . imagine if 80% of vehicles are licensed for a full year and sanral recieves non of those 80% or highway users income plus having to send out notices, admin processes, salaries, maintenance etc for a full year. eish etoll she is broken.

but only in a perfect world.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • PlastiDip is Cool.
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 04:20:07 pm »
OK, hypothetically speaking, let's say I have this friend, that has a nephew with a trucking business in Namibia.
So this friend( all still hypothetically speaking) obtains some Nam number plates for his own daily transport in Gauteng.

How would the SANRAL schmucks deal with that?

Hypothetically speaking, off course.

Offline mox

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2013, 04:23:17 pm »
I think the govt. has made a huge mistake here. this is the first chance for saffers to create a huge civil disobedience action. it's actually to our benefit, as there have been no other opportunities en mass to say fark you to the thieves and probably get away with it.  .

this is a positive thing for SA  :thumleft:
I agree but only if we topple this and keep on fighting it. seems saffers are falling into the same trap as in the past, protest protest have pressure put on from the government and then suffer for years until there is some mobilisation of the masses and international pressure. then the goverment bends. I  this case I see this as the first step by government to start suppressing the people of this country. there will be worse to come if etolls are successful.  so now is the time for us not to give I  to this . Mr Shower Head has now given his approval, this has now become political and nothing to do with the functioning of a country. it is a power grab.

Offline mox

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2013, 04:28:25 pm »
OK, hypothetically speaking, let's say I have this friend, that has a nephew with a trucking business in Namibia.
So this friend( all still hypothetically speaking) obtains some Nam number plates for his own daily transport in Gauteng.

How would the SANRAL schmucks deal with that?

Hypothetically speaking, off course.
hypothetically, what if I nick your number plate ans ride around with that? how will they deal with that. the wont, you will still be charged and held liable.

now this scenario bothers me, in reality this will be done. What do we do, keep our vehicles locked up to make sure no one steals our plates. the powers that be have not thought this through. idiots.

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2013, 04:55:27 pm »
When push comes to shove, I hope saffers will this time shove back.

Not being able to renew your license cause you haven't paid your e-tolls, then so be it....you are protesting...you are sacrificing. Get another fine because you don't have a valid license....again you are protesting....you are sacrificing.

Multiply that by 1.5million....bend over ANC!
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2013, 04:56:50 pm »
Hey...just had a thought. What if we around the country refuse to renew our motor vehicle licenses in protest. Imagine, 10 million people not renewing around the country....OK, 20 million not renewing all in protest. And, each of us insist on going to court for it to explain to the judge why we refuse to pay the license.

This way, we all protest and sacrifice.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:57:48 pm by Inprogress »
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline DRAZIL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15:38 pm »
I cannot see South Africans standing together but here is a great opportunity for all South African rainbow nation to set aside their differences and stop the anc blaming apartheid shit government that keeps everyone divided to make a stand against their corruption......

anyway,I wonder how many companies will use the E-tolls to dismiss/retrench some of their driftwood union staff
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:53 pm »
You guys have very vivid imaginations. It's very, very simple - don't buy an e-tag! And then watch Scumbags Inc jump through hoops.
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2013, 07:11:42 pm »
 ;) ;D

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2013, 10:15:50 pm »
i propose a fund for the first person to spend time in jail for not paying an e-toll bill. everybody puts money in a bank account until the first person has spent 12hours or more in official custody for an e-toll offence (adventurer must pay his speed fines like the rest of us). i won't be contributing because i'm a lazy, apathetic south african. have a nice day...
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:09 pm »
i propose a fund for the first person to spend time in jail for not paying an e-toll bill. everybody puts money in a bank account until the first person has spent 12hours or more in official custody for an e-toll offence (adventurer must pay his speed fines like the rest of us). i won't be contributing because i'm a lazy, apathetic south african. have a nice day...

I doubt if anybody will spend any time in jail for e-toll offences  ::)

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2013, 10:49:20 pm »
A facebook post by https://www.facebook.com/AgainstEtollJHB

HOW TO LEGALLY NOT PAY FOR eTOLLS

So kids, by way of a public service announcement, here is a 100% legal, fully above board way to NOT pay e-tolls....

1) Do not buy an eTag.

2) After the first 4-6 weeks of passing through toll gantries, send SANRAL a registered letter, expressing your concern, that for the last 4- 6 weeks you have not received a payment request from them. You must state that you are COMPLETELY willing to pay the toll fees, but this cannot be carried out without a detailed invoice. Unreliable postal services could be to blame, so please would they send you your invoice by registered mail, to ensure you receive it. (This is a fully legal AARTO requirement for any letter of demand.)

3) Make a photocopy of your letter, get a COMMISSIONER OF OATHS to stamp the copy, and keep your registered mail receipt. Such a request could take months to be settled, and if you are fortunate, never at all due to the sheer volume of similar requests received. Should you finally receive a notification that a registered letter has arrived for you, take as long as possible to collect it. This method is based upon the fact that they do not use registered mail to send invoices. If one considers the past history of all traffic fines received, these all arrive by normal mail to prevent the high costs of registering letters.

4)Should SANRAL surprisingly, after a lengthy period, comply with (1) above, then send them a second CERTIFIED letter by registered post, requesting that they send you a photograph for every single gantry you have passed under for that month, proving that is was your car you that is being invoiced.( Perfectly legal and reasonable request from any motorist ). Such photographs obviously, you must request to also be sent by registered mail to ensure delivery. Also takes weeks to collect such registered mail, should it in the unlikely event, ever be posted. Explain that you have heard that certain motorists are using illegal false number plates and you therefore require the photographs to prove that it is definitely your cat that is being charged. Such a request could takes months to be settled, or if you are very fortunate, never. Consider the sheer volume of requests they should by now have received. If their system is not set up for such requests, which I am almost positive is the case. (Hope I am not wrong on this one) Can you imagine the difficulties and problem they will have, in trying to MANUALLY comply with the thousands upon thousands of similar requests received. To be really difficult, how about querying some of the less clear photographs taken at night. Even if they come back to you asserting that the photographs are in their opinion, all perfectly readable, further delays will have been successfully applied.

5) Should SANRAL try to speed up communications by requesting your e-mail or fax number, or send you SMS’s, or trying direct contact by phone, I have considered very simple ways of negating each of such requests. I am not mentioning any of these methods, as I want to keep this article 100% above board, and free of any questionable actions.

6)In the unlikely event that all the above somehow be resolved, than obviously pay, but only for that particular month under review.

7)Start the whole lengthy procedure all over again, 4-6 weeks after the termination of the second month’s toll fees due. Continue with the same, for every individual month that follows.

Shouldnt take long for the whole system to fall over, if just 10% of the drivers do this,..
Lourens de Lange

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2013, 12:48:37 pm »
I WILL NOT PAY E-TOLLS!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i5bFZezmmEw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i5bFZezmmEw</a>

Offline Frog

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 01:13:54 pm »
All of us have a responsibility to convince family and friends not to get E-Tags. Many do not belong to forums where things like this are discussed.
My mother was all for going to get her E-Tag after hearing the announcement yesterday. She was worried that she would be breaking the law!
I have now convinced her not to buy one for at least the next six months
This needs to be a rolling mass action
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »
All of us have a responsibility to convince family and friends not to get E-Tags. Many do not belong to forums where things like this are discussed.
My mother was all for going to get her E-Tag after hearing the announcement yesterday. She was worried that she would be breaking the law!
I have now convinced her not to buy one for at least the next six months
This needs to be a rolling mass action

exactly!  :thumleft:

I personally know nobody who has or intends to get an e-tag - many people still don't fully understand the MAIN reason why this should be opposed - it's very simple actually..... it is the most inefficient revenue collection system known, so it is wasting our taxes by more than R650m/year - it is one tax too many

Offline ShadedGS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:40 pm »
All you ALTERNATE road users, as defined by SANRAL - have a look at the below....

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/government/92077-final-e-toll-prices-revealed.html

(P.S - alternate is described as unregistered and without an e-tag - like me.)