Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013  (Read 53983 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013
« Reply #960 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:45 am »
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Sanral-Arrested-man-not-our-employee-20140130

Sanral: Arrested man not our employee

Johannesburg - Sanral insisted on Thursday that a man arrested in connection with threats against the company was technically not one of its employees.

SA National Roads Agency Limited spokesperson Vusi Mona said the building where the man was arrested was occupied by Electronic Toll Collection (ETC).

"And the individual arrested works for a service provider on the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project (GFIP) and is not a Sanral employee, as has been mistakenly reported," he said in a statement.

"The arrest should send a message that while peaceful protest is every citizen's right, actions like threatening that a bomb is on the premises or any other hoax, is a serious offence."

Mastermind netted - Hawks

He applauded the Hawks for arresting the 28-year-old Soweto man.

"We strongly condemn such actions. The swift police action is an indication of how seriously such hoaxes are seen," said Mona.

The 28-year-old man was accused of involvement in two white powder scares and a bomb scare at Sanral headquarters in the past two weeks.

"We are convinced that we netted the mastermind behind all three incidents," Hawks spokesman Captain Paul Ramaloko said on Thursday.

Ramaloko earlier announced in a statement: "Yesterday afternoon [Wednesday], the Organised Crime Unit of the Hawks in Gauteng arrested a 28-year-old employee of the South African National Road Agency (Sanral) on charges relating to acts of terrorism.

"The man was arrested at Sanral's Central Operations Centre in Centurion while on duty. During his arrest a cellphone, suspected of having been an instrument used to commit the offence, was seized," Ramaloko said.

Suspicious powder found

The man was tracked down through a call made from his cellphone.

"We linked him via his cellphone which was used to make a call. We are not sure if he was operating the cellphone alone," said Ramaloko.

The bomb scare took place on Sunday. The building was evacuated and a sweep carried out. No bomb was found.

The premises was also evacuated on Tuesday and Friday after a suspicious powder, initially feared to be anthrax, was found.

ETC later reported that the substance was harmless.

The man was expected to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Friday on charges relating to acts of terrorism.

must have been a fruit-phone, they difficult to operate alone...  :pot:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #961 on: January 30, 2014, 11:43:20 am »

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #962 on: January 30, 2014, 11:50:53 am »
The calls might be problematic to an extent, but not the white powder. No case as far as that is concerned. Unless they can prove that he did all three the threats. Consistency will then be his problem

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #963 on: January 31, 2014, 09:58:14 am »
Received this email now:

This is an interesting Poll you will be amazed at the result.
its simple just vote yes or no
Carte Blanche: E-toll.

Forward on to as many as you can please!! GO And VOTE PLEASE VOTE NOW Just click on link and vote - no names required ..

Just Yes or No. As per Carte Blanche, if a million people don't register and refuse to pay for e-toll, the entire system will collapse.

E-toll cannot prosecute you because they will be restricting your movement which is against your constitutional rights. Please get the word around so that we can scrap this system.

They are looking for 1 million votes, and only 30 days left:http://helloweb.co.za/Blog/

Don't forget to send to everyone in your inbox!!!!!!!

http://helloweb.co.za/Blog/

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #964 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:42 am »
Received this email now:

This is an interesting Poll you will be amazed at the result.
its simple just vote yes or no
Carte Blanche: E-toll.

Forward on to as many as you can please!! GO And VOTE PLEASE VOTE NOW Just click on link and vote - no names required ..

Just Yes or No. As per Carte Blanche, if a million people don't register and refuse to pay for e-toll, the entire system will collapse.

E-toll cannot prosecute you because they will be restricting your movement which is against your constitutional rights. Please get the word around so that we can scrap this system.

They are looking for 1 million votes, and only 30 days left:http://helloweb.co.za/Blog/

Don't forget to send to everyone in your inbox!!!!!!!

http://helloweb.co.za/Blog/

Daar is klaar 733.000 en 99 persent se nee, net 5000 se ja. Lyk goed, ons kyk maar wat kry die manne reg

Offline g1_

• Bike: Honda XR125L
« Reply #965 on: January 31, 2014, 10:44:42 am »
I don't know. I think bomb threats and the like are a serious offence. No matter how much you disagree with sanral I don't think this behavior is acceptable. I think the guys deserves to have the book thrown at him. Imagine if everyone starting using this tactic when the didn't agree with a service provider. It would be like a war zone out there.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #966 on: January 31, 2014, 10:48:50 am »
I don't know. I think bomb threats and the like are a serious offence. No matter how much you disagree with sanral I don't think this behavior is acceptable. I think the guys deserves to have the book thrown at him. Imagine if everyone starting using this tactic when the didn't agree with a service provider. It would be like a war zone out there.

sure, but would the service provider continue the way Sanral is?

Offline g1_

« Reply #967 on: January 31, 2014, 10:51:52 am »

Irrelevant. A bomb threat is still not acceptable.

Offline MartV

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #968 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:08 am »
How's that song go again....

It's going down I'm calling timber....... suck on that E-tolls :patch: have voted and won't pay.
KTM 990 07
Husaburg 12
Have been
Husky 450 06
Husky 450 04 Cr 250 98 WR 250 93 IT 250 82 Happiest when on two wheels

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #969 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:26 am »

well in this case, Sanral don't have my sympathies  :evil6:

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #970 on: January 31, 2014, 11:34:57 am »

I don't agree that it's irrelevant.  Any other service provider listens to their clientèle, because if they don't they won't survive.  SANRAL thinks they've got the law and the politicians on their side, so they can do what they want no matter what.  Nothing short of a bomb exploding will really make them sit up and take notice of what the public says.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #971 on: January 31, 2014, 11:50:00 am »

I don't agree that it's irrelevant.  Any other service provider listens to their clientèle, because if they don't they won't survive.  SANRAL thinks they've got the law and the politicians on their side, so they can do what they want no matter what.  Nothing short of a bomb exploding will really make them sit up and take notice of what the public says.

:thumleft:

Offline g1_

« Reply #972 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:54 pm »
Don't be ridiculous. A bomb threat is a threat against public safety not just a business. You are assuming that the threat has no substance. But in the name of public safety you can never make that assumption. I, for one, don't want to see any bombs go off in my country.

You are all suggesting that this guy should not be prosecuted. What if in a weeks time he does in fact set off a bomb. You cannot lightly make threats without facing the consequences.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:59:42 pm by g1_ »

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #973 on: January 31, 2014, 01:03:11 pm »
Don't be ridiculous. A bomb threat is a threat against public safety not just a business. You are assuming that the threat has no substance. But in the name of public safety you can never make that assumption. I, for one, don't want to see any bombs go off in my country.

You are all suggesting that this guy should not be prosecuted. What if in a weeks time he does in fact set off a bomb. You cannot lightly make threats without facing the consequences.

+1000. spot on.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline DeeCeeBee

• Tasmania - Australia
« Reply #974 on: January 31, 2014, 01:12:04 pm »

With a hooter like that, I am surprised he cant smell what Zuma had for breakfast last week. :imaposer:
BRP...now joined by Africa Twin Adv Sport

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #975 on: January 31, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »

Look where it got McBride.  :laughing4: I won't pay e-tolls, but there's no justification for killing innocent people. Threats, though.............they have to catch, of course.

Nevertheless, Scumral has seriously underestimated the depth of disapproval and anger of the public as far as this extortion goes (or is trying to).
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #976 on: January 31, 2014, 03:08:14 pm »

+1000. spot on.

There are actually some video evidence as well. I don't know why they did not make mention of this over the media. Maybe they are not alloud to use it for some reason. However, I was there with the first 2 scares (antrax) and it was really not nice to see inoccent people panicing etc. Remember one thing, work is scarce and most would rather work elsewhere and for other conpanies. You can not blame any one who works for SANRAL. It is just normal individial workers and most of them are also against the e toll system but work is work. I also say yes, let's take action and continue to do so but like sivil people. Vote and do what ever else, but by threatening people with boms and antrax is terrorist acts and should be dealt with accordingly

Offline Ceaser

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #977 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:07 pm »
I decided to get an e-tag this past weekend.

My wife and I went to the R21 Sanral office and got the shock of our lives. My wife commutes from Pomona on ramp to Malibongwe road every week day and her outstanding account for the past 7 week's usage came to R3900. Now i am all against this system but who is going to help us pay this in 10 months time when they force us. Then we sit with an outstanding amount of R24000 just for one car and the longer you wait the more penalties you pay.

My outstanding balance was almost R1500. There were a bunch of people in the Sanral office with us that were getting their outstanding invoices and overheard one lady with an outstanding balance of R9000 for 3 cars. I definitely underestimated this system. They are very jacked up and already had all our personal information. Just by giving them my car registration they told me what make/model and color it was. They even had my 990 with all the correct info. You even get a magnetic weatherproof pouch for your bike and some handlebar mounts. All for R50, must cost them much more then that.

We then opened our e-toll accounts with them and got massive discounts. My wife ended up paying R1700 and I paid R700. This already made us want to cry as we did not budget for this. People can say what they want, your outstanding balance isn't just going to magically disappear and the DA is not going to win the election. We are both in the fortunate position that both our companies contribute about 80% per month if we use an e-tag. So I am not going to be stupid about this.

2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2008 Kawasaki KX450F (sold)
2006 Kawasaki KX250 (sold)
1999 Suzuki RM125 (sold)

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #978 on: February 10, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »

My wife and I went to the R21 Sanral office and got the shock of our lives. My wife commutes from Pomona on ramp to Malibongwe road every week day and her outstanding account for the past 7 week's usage came to R3900. Now i am all against this system but who is going to help us pay this in 10 months time when they force us. Then we sit with an outstanding amount of R24000 just for one car and the longer you wait the more penalties you pay.

My outstanding balance was almost R1500. There were a bunch of people in the Sanral office with us that were getting their outstanding invoices and overheard one lady with an outstanding balance of R9000 for 3 cars. I definitely underestimated this system. They are very jacked up and already had all our personal information. Just by giving them my car registration they told me what make/model and color it was. They even had my 990 with all the correct info. You even get a magnetic weatherproof pouch for your bike and some handlebar mounts. All for R50, must cost them much more then that.

We then opened our e-toll accounts with them and got massive discounts. My wife ended up paying R1700 and I paid R700. This already made us want to cry as we did not budget for this. People can say what they want, your outstanding balance isn't just going to magically disappear and the DA is not going to win the election. We are both in the fortunate position that both our companies contribute about 80% per month if we use an e-tag. So I am not going to be stupid about this.

I understand your point and respect your situation, well therein lies the problem. together we stand and together we fall. each person has his own set of boundaries and it isn't life or death just an inconvenience really paying toll road fees. emotions were high and the feeling of being cheated helped our cause, if we had serious consequences around board we would have been stronger together but alas the privileged upper/middle class carry on. no judging going on don't worry, you do what you gotta do. I know I'm behaving according to my circumstance and so are you. its just sad that we cant ever find a common cause to make a difference.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Splash!
« Reply #979 on: February 10, 2014, 01:10:18 pm »

I understand your point and respect your situation, well therein lies the problem. together we stand and together we fall. each person has his own set of boundaries and it isn't life or death just an inconvenience really paying toll road fees. emotions were high and the feeling of being cheated helped our cause, if we had serious consequences around board we would have been stronger together but alas the privileged upper/middle class carry on. no judging going on don't worry, you do what you gotta do. I know I'm behaving according to my circumstance and so are you. its just sad that we cant ever find a common cause to make a difference.

And that's why I get so frustrated when people "fall in line" with this. Because if we just all stand together this thing WILL fail and we WILL beat this wrongful tax.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.