Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013  (Read 54757 times)

Online Ganjora

Re: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013
« Reply #1000 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:44 pm »
At least, with the postal strike, I've stopped receiving reams of bills. Can you imagine how that stuff must be piling up in the depots.

i feel your complain about receiving etoll bills is poorly thought out.
they are brilliant in so many ways:

fold a few up and stick under a wobbly table to steady it;
can be used as a disposable coaster;
when your kid needs to take paper to school for recycling;
crumple up and use as firelighters;
can make paper aeroplanes out of them;
can use the blank side of the invoice for kids to do crayon drawings on.

& this is just off the top of my head.
if i was not at work,  and was drinking,  i would have many more creative uses for etoll bills.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #1001 on: February 11, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »
Template for letters to Scumral.....

Dear Sir,

I am sitting in the smallest room in the house.

Your latest bill is before me.

Soon it will be behind me.

:biggrin: :peepwall: >:D

Offline Takashi

« Reply #1002 on: February 11, 2014, 05:23:58 pm »
Template for letters to Scumral.....

Dear Sir,

I am sitting in the smallest room in the house.

Your latest bill is before me.

Soon it will be behind me.

:biggrin: :peepwall: >:D

Well it is the room in my house where the most paper work gets done.
Might as well file some SANRAL invoices. >:D

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #1003 on: February 11, 2014, 08:32:39 pm »
I decided to get an e-tag this past weekend.

My wife and I went to the R21 Sanral office and got the shock of our lives. My wife commutes from Pomona on ramp to Malibongwe road every week day and her outstanding account for the past 7 week's usage came to R3900. Now i am all against this system but who is going to help us pay this in 10 months time when they force us. Then we sit with an outstanding amount of R24000 just for one car and the longer you wait the more penalties you pay.

My outstanding balance was almost R1500. There were a bunch of people in the Sanral office with us that were getting their outstanding invoices and overheard one lady with an outstanding balance of R9000 for 3 cars. I definitely underestimated this system. They are very jacked up and already had all our personal information. Just by giving them my car registration they told me what make/model and color it was. They even had my 990 with all the correct info. You even get a magnetic weatherproof pouch for your bike and some handlebar mounts. All for R50, must cost them much more then that.

We then opened our e-toll accounts with them and got massive discounts. My wife ended up paying R1700 and I paid R700. This already made us want to cry as we did not budget for this. People can say what they want, your outstanding balance isn't just going to magically disappear and the DA is not going to win the election. We are both in the fortunate position that both our companies contribute about 80% per month if we use an e-tag. So I am not going to be stupid about this.

I thought about your post again today, whilst blissfully racking up bills on the highways on my bike.....

Let's assume my tagged bill would have been around R200/mnth and I duck and dive Sanral, until they eventually catch up with me after 4-5 months and present me with a bill for typically say R1000 per month, ie R5000 in total and I tell them to get fucked and take me to court and let's assume I'll be the 1st case - when I (we) produce evidence that public participation was not sufficient, that the e-tolling is a wasteful collection mechanism, that un-tagged people are being unfairly discriminated against, that the billing is not done on time and does not provide conclusive proof of no duplicate number plates etc.... what will the judge say? If he says I have no case and have been treated fairly, I would be very surprised and will from thereon try to fuck the system over in every which way I can

A gamble I'm taking? Only if I'm the only one, but fortunately there are thousands that feel like me and are not prepared to accept this continued abuse

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #1004 on: February 11, 2014, 08:46:25 pm »
If it ever gets to court, and I'm found guilty, I'll have to pay them off @ R10,oo a month.... that's all I can afford at the moment! :deal: Best they stop wasting their time chasing after the dead golden goose! :3some:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #1005 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:16 am »
Tommy and Bundu, big up!  I'm with you guys. 
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Ceaser

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #1006 on: February 12, 2014, 10:32:46 am »
Damn, feels like I should start looking over my shoulder.

I understand all you anger but I promise you now I am not the only one on this site that registered. At least I had the guts to admit it.
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2008 Kawasaki KX450F (sold)
2006 Kawasaki KX250 (sold)
1999 Suzuki RM125 (sold)

Offline alanB

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #1007 on: February 12, 2014, 10:48:17 am »

I understand all you anger but I promise you now I am not the only one on this site that registered. At least I had the guts to admit it.

The point of this whole section is to unite people against SANRAL and the government, so as far as possible lets not fight each other.

My question to you is:

1) Do you honestly think that is right that you pay even the reduced "discounted" toll fees?  If you do - then no issue.  But if you don't and you are only signing up so that you can pay less - then you have to ask yourself why?  Its a question of principle, not expediency.  Why pay if you honestly feel its wrong?

2)  If you think you have no other choice other than pay, even if you dont agree with the etoll system, are you sure that's a good assumption?  Most of the people I have spoken to about this are getting firmer in their resolve to oppose this system, not less so.  As I've said a few times already I'm constantly surprised at the people who are radiating defiance on this issue.  People I would least expect to do so!  So the point is why just assume that you have no other option but to sign up and pay if you dont want to?

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1008 on: February 12, 2014, 11:00:22 am »

The point of this whole section is to unite people against SANRAL and the government, so as far as possible lets not fight each other.

My question to you is:

1) Do you honestly think that is right that you pay even the reduced "discounted" toll fees?  If you do - then no issue.  But if you don't and you are only signing up so that you can pay less - then you have to ask yourself why?  Its a question of principle, not expediency.  Why pay if you honestly feel its wrong?

2)  If you think you have no other choice other than pay, even if you dont agree with the etoll system, are you sure that's a good assumption?  Most of the people I have spoken to about this are getting firmer in their resolve to oppose this system, not less so.  As I've said a few times already I'm constantly surprised at the people who are radiating defiance on this issue.  People I would least expect to do so!  So the point is why just assume that you have no other option but to sign up and pay if you dont want to?

well put!  :thumleft:

an old tannie I know, 69 years old and not all that wealthy, showed me an e-toll bill she had received and tore it up in front of me, when I visited her last week - that's what we need!

Offline DRAZIL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #1009 on: February 12, 2014, 11:06:46 am »
have to ask this
Doesn't Sanral have to go through the credit check saga to see if one can pay, much like buying a bike, car, clothing account.....
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline clutch

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #1010 on: February 12, 2014, 11:44:47 am »
hahahaha "guts" ironic use of a word, after getting tagged...   

Offline DeeCeeBee

• Tasmania - Australia
« Reply #1011 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »
hahahaha "guts" ironic use of a word, after getting tagged...   
:laughing4:
BRP...now joined by Africa Twin Adv Sport

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
« Reply #1012 on: February 19, 2014, 04:21:17 am »

OUTA URGES MP’S TO LOOK BEYOND SANRAL’s INPUT.

OUTA notes with interest that the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Transport will be briefed by SANRAL on the implementation of e-tolling in Gauteng. Sanral’s media statement of 17 February 2014 downplays the purpose of the briefing by simply stating it is to inform the Committee on ‘what went wrong and also what went right’ with e-tolling as if it was a post mortem of a soccer match.

“SANRAL speaks like a soccer coach whose team has lost 2-0 with an own goal having been scored and finds something positive in the fact that each team scored a goal” says John Clarke, the spokesperson for OUTA. “Even more comical is SANRAL’s claim that the number of complaints are a mere 0.3% of the total road users. Yet there are hundreds of thousands of road users who are simply not complying and have not bothered to complain. The real issue is that the system does not have the support and commitment of the people.

For e-tolling to be regarded as a success by international standards, SANRAL needs to achieve levels of compliance closer to 90%, along with low (single digit percentage) administration costs. One only needs to read the thousands of comments and complaints to realize that SANRAL have not only lost the people, but they have lost the plot and the system will struggle to achieve a situation of high compliance, an outcome that will see most of the revenues collected being used to simply pay off the collection process and far too little paying off the freeway upgrade.”

OUTA’s is currently finalizing a research paper which examines the implications of a recent study by University of Pretoria academics Dr Marlene Holmner and Ms Erin Hommes, which shows that Gauteng’s e-toll system is sorely lacking in almost all of the critical success factors for so called Intelligent Transport Systems. OUTA hopes that members of the Transport Portfolio Committee will take note of the Hommes & Holmner research, along with its own paper (shortly due), which spells out the reasons for this e-toll project’s high potential for failure. “This dismal performance by a once respected State Owned Entity, is due to their meaningless public engagement program, combined with a lack of transparency and poor research that has taken the public for granted,” adds Clarke.

Finally OUTA urges MP’s to insist that Sanral fully explains why nine weeks after a potentially serious breach of the road agency's online systems Sanral has not yet established how many user accounts were compromised and why it has neither notified compromised account holders of the crime, nor notified its user base as a whole that their personal data may be in the hands of cyber criminals.

I love this line;
“SANRAL speaks like a soccer coach whose team has lost 2-0 with an own goal having been scored and finds something positive in the fact that each team scored a goal :lol8: :lol8:

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #1013 on: February 19, 2014, 08:47:20 am »
I see the Transport Minister said on TV yesterday that "the E-toll invoice system is problematic, and needs to re-accessed" "We are working hard at the problem"...... :imaposer: :imaposer: :lol8: I foresee the system failing sooner than March... keep up the resistance manne... we are going to beat this corrupt system! :thumleft:
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1014 on: February 19, 2014, 10:01:18 am »
until they sort the duplicate plates, everybody will have to check their bills and I can't see them easily getting rid of duplicates  ;D

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #1015 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:03 am »
until they sort the duplicate plates, everybody will have to check their bills and I can't see them easily getting rid of duplicates  ;D
Yup... I know of someone who drives 3 vehicles with the same numberplate! And the plate is registered to a farm tractor! :snorting: :snorting: >:D
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline DRAZIL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #1016 on: February 19, 2014, 05:01:42 pm »
choose a number plate   >:D
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1017 on: February 28, 2014, 11:41:20 am »
http://www.fin24.com/Budget/E-tolls-revolt-weighed-on-budget-tax-expert-20140228

E-tolls revolt weighed on budget - tax expert

Cape Town - The prospect of a revolt by taxpayers is reflected in the nature of the latest National Budget, according to Le Roux Roelofse, a tax expert of Deloitte.

"When the government saw the huge outcry against e-tolls, it realised it was faced by a taxpayers' revolt. That was a sobering experience for the government and reflects in the resultant unremarkable budget," said Roelofse at a post budget event hosted by Deloitte in Cape Town.

"I predicted that the budget won't be anything spectacular. Yet, that does not mean it was not an interesting budget."

The second factor that resulted in such an "unremarkable" budget in his view, is the Davis Tax Committee.

"The Committee is tasked with doing a holistic review of our tax system, which has not kept up with the changing economic world," said Roelofse.

"Don't be surprised, therefore, if we do not see any changes until the Committee comes back with its findings."

One of the issues the Committee could address, would be ways to handle multinational companies like Google and the way they pay tax, said Roelofse.

In his view this can only be addressed through global bargaining.

Tax morality

Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan's budget acknowledges that taxation is a contract between the state and its citizens.

"Gordhan talked of fairness. He is trying to create a sense of tax morality, a link between earning and spending," said Roelofse.

"He wants to create a sense that it is only right for the wealthy to pay taxes, but that the state must spend it well and fight corruption."

Roelofse said Gordhan's budget is not necessarily business friendly, but he realises that he needs the private sector on board to create jobs.

The budget figures show, however, that companies in SA are not profitable enough. That is why the economy has to grow so companies could pay more tax.

"Gordhan believes in miracles and relies on miracles. We are in for interesting times," said Roelofse.

Its gonna be a miracle when I am forced to pay my etolls...  :deal:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Splash!
« Reply #1018 on: February 28, 2014, 11:44:22 am »
Fok hom en sy SCAMRAL and cANCer maters.  En hulle ma's!
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline WarrenM

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #1019 on: February 28, 2014, 02:17:17 pm »
Saw this on Facebook earlier  ;D

2009 KTM 690 (Sold)
2017 KTM 350 Exe 6 Days
2018 KTM 300 Tpi
2016 KTM 690 Adventure R