Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013  (Read 53920 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013
« Reply #1040 on: March 18, 2014, 05:57:50 pm »
EVERY public servant, including the Clerk of the Court, the Prosecutor, the Translator and the Magistrate
all have their pension money tied up in SANRAL through the Public Investment Corporation stake in SANRAL.

The Government has guaranteed the benefits to be paid out.
So the whole system is slanted against the motorist.                   
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #1041 on: March 18, 2014, 06:06:30 pm »
Facebook post from a Sean Avery.  I like his logic.

It's impossible to prosecute all defaulters in this life time, or the next, or the next...
I reckon a court dedicated to prosecuting these case will handle a maximum of 10 cases per hour, 5 hours per day i.e. 50 cases per day, 500 cases per week.
While the number of motorists is 1.7 million, each gantry will be a separate case, and must be pleaded individually. Assume an average of 5 gantries per motorist, will be 8.5 million cases that must be heard. And that is only for transgressions on day 1. On day 2, if they did not pay, another 8.5 million transgressions will be added to the roll, day 3 another 8.5 million, day 4 ... you get the picture
Then there will be delays and postponements as each motorist asks for legal counsel, and once counsel is provided, legal counsel requests photographic evidence to be provided by the state so that they may study the photos and discuss it with their clients.
Even if this system does not fail during the billing cycle, it most definitely will fail when they try and prosecute their flawed laws.
That's what you get when you force this corrupt system on the citizens without their consent.
Lourens de Lange

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #1042 on: March 18, 2014, 06:15:39 pm »
EVERY public servant, including the Clerk of the Court, the Prosecutor, the Translator and the Magistrate
all have their pension money tied up in SANRAL through the Public Investment Corporation stake in SANRAL.

The Government has guaranteed the benefits to be paid out.
So the whole system is slanted against the motorist.                   

it's less than 2% of the total pension funds and AFAIK, these pensioners have guaranteed pensions

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
« Reply #1043 on: March 30, 2014, 07:08:56 pm »
From Outa;
Seems they have found someone with a conscience on the inside, who has turned snitch.
Now it should be interesting to see this can of worms opened.
We all know how corrupt the whole deal is, it was only a matter of time before it came out.

E Toll Whistle Blower lodges complaint with Public Protector against Sanral

After receiving damning information from a source inside the E-toll system the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance has lodged a subsidiary complaint with The Public Protector against Sanral for alleged mismanagement of the Gauteng Open Road Tolling scheme. The allegations stem from experiences of a well-placed source inside the system, who confirms OUTA’s views of mismanagement stemming from Sanral having embarked on an extremely high risk strategy to develop an electronic tolling infrastructure for the entire country, without testing key assumptions or engaging sufficiently with key stakeholders.

After six weeks of careful relationship building to create mutual trust and confidence OUTA consultant John Clarke mediated the complaint on behalf of the person. “OUTA contracted me to provide my ears to harassed, frightened, bemused and angry motorists caught in Sanral’s web of manipulation, and lodge a collective complaint on their behalf with the Public Protector” Clarke explained.

“Unexpectedly in the midst of the avalanche was a lengthy narrative from an insider who could no longer abide the injurious experience of working with ‘arrogant fools to drag me …into their maelstrom’”. He described them as ‘arrogant and dangerous’ people who ‘steam-roll public opinion … bully politicians, and business people and do not act in the interests of the country’. After a gradual process of feeling each other out, the distance between us closed and we found a great deal of common cause and alignment of interests between OUTA and a key stakeholder inside the system.”

Given the adversarial relationship between SANRAL and OUTA, after careful consideration it was decided that it would be in the best interests of all parties for the Public Protector, as an impartial body with powers of subpoena, to investigate the allegations.

Wayne Duvenage, chair of OUTA hailed the disclosures as a “breakthrough” which he hoped would start laying the table for meaningful multi-lateral engagement with all stakeholders to transcend the mess, as opposed to the past ineffective talk shops hosted by the Inter Ministerial Committee and other bodies over the past two years.

Duvenage said that “despite legal and diologue attemts to have the authorities come to their senses on the rationality and workability of e-tolling, now that the system has commenced we have seen a multitude of problems unfold and the verdict of the court of public opinion, whereby the majority of the freeway users are not fitting e-tags nor prepared to foot the bill for a scheme that was never designed or implimented with the best interests of the people at its core. The system has been poorly planned with insufficient congisence given to the practical workability, public support and a host of very probable unintended consequences at the outset. The whistle-blower has been in a position to confirm our suspicions. I have also communicated with the Minister of Transport as well as indicated our desire to brief the Parlimentary Portfolio Committee on Transport on our views and input on e-tolling, but given that there is an election underway, it would appear the climate and appetite for an intervention at this level is not right at this time, which is a pity, as the mess unfolding will just get worse.”

Fortunately the Public Protector has proved herself a fearless protector of constitutional rights and the rule of law, so we have decided to steer things her way. We don’t want to jeopardise the informants position or prejudice the investigative process or by saying too much at this stage. I can say that the complaint alleges abuse of power, dishonesty, maladministration and systemic problems in the risk assessment and management process within Sanral, dating back to the tender process and commencement of contractual negotiations with Kapsch TrafficCom back in 2007/8.”

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #1044 on: March 31, 2014, 08:29:22 am »
Lekker!  Ek wens hulle word aan hulle klein totties vasgespyker teen daai gantries.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1045 on: March 31, 2014, 03:57:24 pm »
I have a funny feeling the public protector won't be employed by our locust maters much longer
Sadly
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #1046 on: March 31, 2014, 04:35:03 pm »
Got sent this today...
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

www.harleyparts.online

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
« Reply #1047 on: March 31, 2014, 04:46:05 pm »
Turns out the whistle blower is from within the ranks of Kapsch.  :o

An employee of the Austrian company that worked with Sanral to toll Gauteng’s roads claims that the e-toll system was designed to monitor 7 000km of national roads – suggested similar tolls were planned for Cape Town and Durban.

The whistleblower, who still works for Kapsch, has made a series of allegations about the controversial system – and says he’s willing to be interviewed by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s office to prove them.

Among the allegations he has presented to the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance, which has in turn handed an affidavit to Madonsela’s office, are:

» that Gauteng motorists have been saddled with an additional cost of R2.5 billion because Sanral’s e-toll control centre in Midrand was designed to handle the monitoring of all South Africa’s national roads;

» that Kapsch told Sanral the risks of a national roll out were “too high” and was ignored;

» that there are serious design flaws in the current e-tolling system.

For instance, the whistleblower claims, Sanral’s decision to use cameras and radio frequency receivers to read e-tags on every gantry is contrary to best international practice.

It was allegedly done against Kapsch’s advice and hiked the cost of the system significantly; and

» Sanral’s IT portal for the e-tolling system is vulnerable to hackers, who can easily access commuters’ personal information.

City Press has seen email correspondence between the whistleblower, who has a background in forensic investigations, and Outa in which he says he spent a long time considering whether to risk contacting the organisation.

He says he is supplying the information to Outa in his personal capacity and not as a Kapsch employee.

His allegations have been compiled into an affidavit by Outa’s John Clarke, who submitted it to the Public Protector this week. City Press has seen a copy.

The whistleblower alleges that Kapsch has suffered severe losses because of the delays in implementing e-tolls.

He also says the control centre in Midrand is the second largest tolling system in the Southern hemisphere and Sanral’s decision to set it up added R2.5 billion to the project’s overall cost.

“Sanral had an ambition for the system to be planned and designed on the assumption that open road tolling would be implemented on a national scale, whereas [Kapsch] were of the opinion that the risk factors were too high, and argued for an incremental approach, starting in Gauteng,” reads the affidavit.

“Sanral insisted that the Central Operations Centre must have the capacity to handle several thousands kilometres of road with gantries erected to gather data from across the country, starting with Gauteng, but extending soon afterwards to national roads in KwaZulu Natal and the Western Cape.”

Sanral refused to comment on this or any other allegation contained in the affidavit.

Clarke said in his affidavit that the whistleblower’s version described “an extremely authoritarian, command-and-control leadership approach by Sanral executives in taking major normative and strategic decisions”.

“He found their attitude ‘arrogant’ with an ‘inability to listen to any form of advice’,” wrote Clarke.

City Press understands that Madonsela is currently considering the affidavit and whether to launch a full investigation into the matter.

In his affidavit Clarke makes it clear that the whistleblower is prepared to be interviewed, on condition of anonymity, by an investigator from Madonsela’s office.

“The profile of the informant corresponds to what one can generally expect of ‘whistleblower’: loyal to the company, with a strong sense of ethics, but lacking sufficient authority and positional power to risk more than a confidential disclosure of information, and in need of protection from reprisals that could result from a damaging conflict between key stakeholders,” said Clarke in his affidavit.

Sanral spokesperson Vusi Mona said the Public Protector had not contacted them about the whistleblower or the affidavit.

“As such, we are not aware of the contents of the said affidavit,” he said.

“We shall respond to her investigation, if she decides to carry one out, but we reject the allegations made by the so-called informant.”

Kapsch’s chief marketing officer Alf Netek said the company was in a “collaborative, respectful and productive relationship with Sanral”.

“Please understand that as we are not aware of this affidavit and do not know its contents respectively, we are not able to comment on it,” he said.

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/whistleblower-worked-sanral-tells-thuli-madonsela-e-tolls/

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #1048 on: March 31, 2014, 04:50:34 pm »
Hmmmm.......I would like this guy to come forward and do talk and lay evidence. Kapch is a huge company, very advanced tech and I have heard of a few 'internal issues'. Maybe they will self destruct although we won't be so lucky.....unfortunately

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #1049 on: March 31, 2014, 06:39:27 pm »
in my mind it is unlikely the etoll theft will abruptly stop , it will prolly stumble along gathering whatever funds from its supporters , and then get "bail" out from the guv
thanks again to all and sundry ,  sanral and its supporters  , and of course guv

only a regime change will close it down ..... maybe 

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #1050 on: March 31, 2014, 07:06:29 pm »
Hmmmm.......I would like this guy to come forward and do talk and lay evidence. Kapch is a huge company, very advanced tech and I have heard of a few 'internal issues'. Maybe they will self destruct although we won't be so lucky.....unfortunately

This the same okes involved in the arms deal. Paying the bribes?

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #1051 on: April 02, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
http://www.fin24.com/Economy/E-toll-debt-already-more-than-R543m-20140402

Cape Town - Gauteng motorists have run up more than half a billion rand in overdue fees since the province's e-tolling system started on December 3 last year, according to Transport Minister Dipuo Peters.

Less than 10% of this has been paid.

"I am informed that... as at March 1 [this year] an amount of R543 544 574 worth of invoices were transferred to the VPC [Violations Processing Centre]," she said in a written reply to a parliamentary question.

The VPC is the debt-collection division within the SA National Roads Agency (Sanral) responsible for the collection and processing of overdue e-toll transactions.

Contacted for comment on Wednesday, Sanral spokesperson Vusi Mona said the R543.5m included both those motorists with e-tags who had overdue accounts, as well as those who had not registered, but were picked up by the tolling system.

"It relates to those people who have amounts outstanding, whether registered or not," he said.

Mona could not immediately say what percentage of Gauteng motorists had registered to date.

In her response to the parliamentary question - posed by Democratic Alliance MP Ian Ollis - Peters also revealed that "an amount of R54 735 638 (excluding VAT) has been expended in the collection of the debt".

This figure included R32.8m "for postage and printing of invoices" and a further R21.9m for "the cost of debt collection processes".

However, responding to a second parliamentary question, Peters said of the total of R543.5m transferred to the VPC, only R50 043,487, or 9.21%, had been paid as at February 28.

R543 mil debt, R50 mil cost to recover 10% of this? Fail.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:13:22 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline Koet

• Splash!
« Reply #1052 on: April 02, 2014, 01:12:32 pm »
So from the last paragraph in the story, they've effectively spent R54.7 million to bring in R50 million of the outstanding debt.  ???

Fok maar hulle wys net al hoe meer en meer hoe dom hulle is.

And THAT, folks, is why we're winning the fight!

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1053 on: April 02, 2014, 01:24:47 pm »
 :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: ..... and fuck you Sanral/ANC  ;D

Offline Tr0jan

• Centurion(Werk) - Zeerust(Plaas)
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Kom grondpad, kom!
« Reply #1054 on: April 02, 2014, 01:37:51 pm »
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: ..... and fuck you Sanral/ANC  ;D

+1
KTM 990 - Wiff twee pype and loud A-F!

I'm not a hooligan, my throttle grip got stuck! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #1055 on: April 02, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »
How much % participation did they need to succeed ?

I guess it was not 10%  :imaposer:
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1056 on: April 02, 2014, 01:42:18 pm »
How much % participation did they need to succeed ?

I guess it was not 10%  :imaposer:

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #1057 on: April 02, 2014, 01:46:47 pm »
I can tell you all i cannot wait to start the ICM's apologizing and grovelling thread...  :deal:  :pot:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #1058 on: April 02, 2014, 01:54:58 pm »
It will be interesting to see when the first "bail out" takes place
Before or after the KZN and cape roll out

Offline Koet

• Splash!
« Reply #1059 on: April 02, 2014, 01:57:07 pm »
Never mind that, how long after the elections....