Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013  (Read 53199 times)

Online KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: E-Tolls go live - 3 December 2013
« Reply #1060 on: April 02, 2014, 02:54:55 pm »
expect them to play hard ball for a while before canning the system - they will try to prosecute some to scare the rest.  they are desperate and have nothing to lose

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #1061 on: April 02, 2014, 04:17:40 pm »
expect them to play hard ball for a while before canning the system - they will try to prosecute some to scare the rest.  they are desperate and have nothing to lose
The first person they prosecute (or attempt to), gets free legal support according to Outa & JPSA.... so they've booked their shit if they try.
Keep it up people!...... this system is already on its dying legs!
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Draad

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #1062 on: April 02, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »
 :peepwall:
Sies jou VARK !!

Offline Tonteldoos

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #1063 on: April 02, 2014, 08:05:07 pm »
According to some article in Beeld they have R500m outstanding fees and recovered R50m  at a cost of R54m if I remember correctly
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #1064 on: April 02, 2014, 08:10:47 pm »
According to some article in Beeld they have R500m outstanding fees and recovered R50m  at a cost of R54m if I remember correctly

yip! running a successful business .......................... NOT!!!

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
« Reply #1065 on: April 02, 2014, 09:18:35 pm »
The only way they can try and save face is to try and BS the sheeple by shutting down the whole system just before the elections and say that they "have listened to the people"

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #1066 on: April 03, 2014, 06:46:48 am »
On the news yesterday that only 10% have paid E-toll.  Public owes Sanral more than 500 million Rands. :sip:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #1067 on: April 03, 2014, 07:37:29 am »
On the news yesterday that only 10% have paid E-toll.  Public owes Sanral more than 500 million Rands. :sip:

Actually it's just referring to the 10% of outstanding debt at the VPC that's been paid.  It doesn't count the sheeple that got etags and are enjoying the ass-raping, or the other sheeple queuing up at SCAMRAL offices to pay manually.   Stupid idiots.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #1068 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:17 am »
On the news yesterday that only 10% have paid E-toll.  Public owes Sanral more than 500 million Rands. :sip:

Actually it's just referring to the 10% of outstanding debt at the VPC that's been paid.  It doesn't count the sheeple that got etags and are enjoying the ass-raping, or the other sheeple queuing up at SCAMRAL offices to pay manually.   Stupid idiots.

Jip, the 10% is just the portion of outstanding dept they recovered.
This morning's news said R620m owed to Sanral.

Wonder how much they have actually collected and if this R550m - R620m is less or more than that?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:29:41 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline g1_

• Bike: Honda XR125L
« Reply #1069 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:41 am »

Wonder how much they have actually collected and if this R550m - R620m is less or more than that?

Would be interesting to see the figures.

So it looks like it's not profitable for sanral to try and recover payments from those that are not cooperating. Especially seeing as they haven't even started court proceedings yet.

However it could still be profitable for sanral to continue to collect from those that are cooperating. That is until they realize that if they stop cooperating that there would be no consequences...

Unless they are making enough profit from those they are collecting on to justify pushing through. We really need to see figures of the amount they are collecting normally against their running costs. From the figures above we can't tell if the etolls is economically viable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:26:08 am by g1_ »

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1070 on: April 03, 2014, 11:44:56 am »

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-south-africa/r250m-collected-from-etolls
Sanral collected R250 million from electronic tolling in Gauteng in the first three months of implementation, it said on Wednesday.
"An amount of R250.8m has been received as at 28 February 2014," SA National Roads Agency Limited chief financial officer Inge Mulder said.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #1071 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »
So R250mil is 28% of the total (250 paid + 620 unpaid) There's your compliance rate.

Also on the R620mil unpaid, Sanral will need to pay over 14% of that as VAT (R87mil), unless they write the debt off, so they are deep in the financial poo poo unless SARS has a special arrangement with them for VAT.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #1072 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »
JPSA MEDIA STATEMENT – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TO:   ALL NEWS, CRIME & TRANSPORT EDITORS
DATE:   2014/04/02
SUBJECT:   SANRAL THREATS OF “JAIL TIME” A GANTRY TO FAR

JOHANNESBURG – It takes a lot to shock Justice Project South Africa but when the 2014/04/02 - 18:30 Eyewitness News on Talk Radio 702 and Highveld Stereo; and subsequent bulletins thereafter led with the headline “Pay up – or face jail time”, we really thought our ears were deceiving us.

The latest attempts at scaremongering comes hot on the heels of the revelation in Parliament that SANRAL has spent R54.74 million in order to collect R50.02 million and that up to 1 March 2014, over a half a billion Rand is outstanding in unpaid e-tolls over the three month period under review.

“Clearly whoever made this threat must have come to the realisation that previous threats of criminal records and credit blacklisting – based on an Act that exempts itself from the National Credit Act – have had a limited effect,” said JPSA chairman, Howard Dembovsky. 

“What SANRAL doesn’t seem to realise is that South Africans have been subjected to similar tyrannical threats by the previous regime and they didn’t cave in then – so why would they cave in now?” he continued.

It also appears that someone at SANRAL has decided to dispense with the troublesome formality of conducting trials and now feels that they can jump straight to sentencing people to jail time.  After all, since all Magistrates just so happen to have their pensions tied up in the Public Investment Corporation’s (PIC’s) investment in e-tolling, there isn’t a single Magistrate in South Africa who will be able to hear an e-tolls prosecution without bias.

We suspect that SANRAL has now overplayed its hand and gone a gantry too far with its threats, and may well find that instead of managing to scare more people into compliance, they will simply strengthen the resolve of e-toll dissidents to resist, since there is absolutely no way that the courts will willingly dismantle the Gauteng economy by jailing what, at the bare minimum, will be hundreds of thousands of economically active citizens – even if they could manage the volumes.

SANRAL has a sizable pool of willing volunteers to be prosecuted if/when they decide to do so and none of them have asked for the additional 30 days to pay that is allegedly being offered.  Zwelinzima Vavi, Mark Heywood, Bishop Geoff Davies, Wayne Duvenage, Fr Mike Deeb, Kay Sexwale and Howard Dembovsky have all invited prosecution by refusing to pay e-tolls. 

If SANRAL chooses to pick on someone else instead, they will merely be proving that they are both, the bullies and cowards they have thus far proven themselves to be by engaging in intimidation and extortion tactics on public platforms.

Considering that the conviction rate for dangerous road traffic offences like driving under the influence of alcohol is reportedly 7.5% (Kwazulu-Natal) and excessive speed to the tune of 173km/h in a 120km/h zone has led to charges being withdrawn against Itumeleng Khune in return for 10 hours community service, it’s not difficult to see where the priorities lie.  Tackling South Africa’s unacceptably high road death toll is clearly less important to the Department of Transport's SANRAL than tackling non-payment of tolls, now isn’t it?

ENDS

Best Regards,

Howard Dembovsky
National Chairman - Justice Project South Africa (NPC)
Association Not For Gain  |  Incorporated as a non-profit company under the Companies Act, 2008  | Registration Number 2010/019972/08

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #1073 on: April 03, 2014, 12:44:04 pm »
Excellent :thumleft:

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
« Reply #1074 on: April 16, 2014, 09:05:17 pm »
Hahahahaha, serves her right, may her bills be many and may she pay and pay and pay and......

RESIDENT DEMANDS REFUND FROM SANRAL
[THIS IS WHY WE ARE PROUDLY e-TAG FREE]

A Kensington resident has threatened to lay a charge of theft and fraud against the South African National Roads Agency (Sanral).

Ms Andrea Heyes said she was charged for “passing” the Bakwena Toll Plaza even though she, her e-tag and vehicle never passed this area.

“I obtained an e-tag in February and it worked fine. Then I received an e-mail with costs for this toll plaza. I never went past Pretoria but R8 was charged to my e-tag.

“I logged a complaint on the Sanral website and spoke to an operator at the call centre. She tried to help but failed.

“My breaking point was when I had to explain to a consultant how to read a C-track report. I had to explain how the device works when it comes to tracking. A refund was refused. The operator stated that while my vehicle might not have passed through the toll plaza, my e-tag did,” said Ms Heyes.

Ms Heyes said she never removed her e-tag from her vehicle. “My e-tag was in my vehicle while it was parked at home. I had to argue with a consultant. I should not have to prove where my car was, nor my e-tag. Sanral should be able to confirm all its transactions with a photograph.

“If my e-tag was removed from my vehicle parked at home by me in Kensington and placed in my handbag for argument’s sake, why is it that none of the other gantries picked up my e-tag on the way to Bakwena? I have been accommodating until this point, as the resolution time is five working days, but this matter has gone way over,” said Ms Heyes.

She said the system is supposed to be flawless. “This shows that even if you have an e-tag, you are still ripped off. Sanral is supposed to be able to prove every single transaction by photograph and in the last two weeks of trying to get this money credited, Sanral has not been able to prove a thing,” she said.
[joburgeastexpress]

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1075 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:36 am »
Hahahahaha, serves her right, may her bills be many and may she pay and pay and pay and......

RESIDENT DEMANDS REFUND FROM SANRAL
[THIS IS WHY WE ARE PROUDLY e-TAG FREE]

A Kensington resident has threatened to lay a charge of theft and fraud against the South African National Roads Agency (Sanral).

Ms Andrea Heyes said she was charged for “passing” the Bakwena Toll Plaza even though she, her e-tag and vehicle never passed this area.

“I obtained an e-tag in February and it worked fine. Then I received an e-mail with costs for this toll plaza. I never went past Pretoria but R8 was charged to my e-tag.

“I logged a complaint on the Sanral website and spoke to an operator at the call centre. She tried to help but failed.

“My breaking point was when I had to explain to a consultant how to read a C-track report. I had to explain how the device works when it comes to tracking. A refund was refused. The operator stated that while my vehicle might not have passed through the toll plaza, my e-tag did,” said Ms Heyes.

Ms Heyes said she never removed her e-tag from her vehicle. “My e-tag was in my vehicle while it was parked at home. I had to argue with a consultant. I should not have to prove where my car was, nor my e-tag. Sanral should be able to confirm all its transactions with a photograph.

“If my e-tag was removed from my vehicle parked at home by me in Kensington and placed in my handbag for argument’s sake, why is it that none of the other gantries picked up my e-tag on the way to Bakwena? I have been accommodating until this point, as the resolution time is five working days, but this matter has gone way over,” said Ms Heyes.

She said the system is supposed to be flawless. “This shows that even if you have an e-tag, you are still ripped off. Sanral is supposed to be able to prove every single transaction by photograph and in the last two weeks of trying to get this money credited, Sanral has not been able to prove a thing,” she said.
[joburgeastexpress]

and this is where I suppose that scamral will try their luck...

The amount is negligible, only R8, so the hassle and sweat involved in getting your refund is just not worth it eventually.

UNLESS you feel as strongly about it as Ms Hayes... I support her all the way  :thumleft:   lay the theft charges against scamral, get your day in court. Set the precedent... DO NOT ACCEPT a "settlement" from them, get the prosecution!
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #1076 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:00 am »
I still haven't recieved a single invoice after using the toll roads every day. I've recieved some threatening calls though
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Mikedabike

« Reply #1077 on: April 17, 2014, 09:18:50 am »
Got a couple of SMS's but no physical bills yet...lord alone knows what address they have for me and I aint gonna update their database anytime soon
"if your life were to flash before your eyes make sure it is worth watching"

Online mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #1078 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:19 am »
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Online mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #1079 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:32 am »
E-toll debacle fails to slow demand for Sanral bond
by Carol Paton, 22 April 2014, 06:33

THE South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) last week re-entered the bond market after a two-and-a-half-year absence, with a highly successful R500m bond auction that was close to twice over-subscribed.

The auction was the first since Sanral’s failed auction in September 2011, and confirms that investors are no longer unduly worried about the company’s sustainability, despite the e-toll debacle.

Chief financial officer Inge Mulder said Sanral had sold the full R500m within the price guidance provided by the arrangers.

"This is our first bond auction since the commencement of e-tolling in December 2013. We offered the full HWAY suite of bonds. We wanted to get R500m, which is what we allocated, with the clearing spreads all within the price guidance indicated by the arrangers. The total bids offered were R956m," Ms Mulder said in an interview on Monday.

Sanral’s HWAY bonds are guaranteed by the Treasury. The programme was established with a R31.9bn Treasury guarantee in 2009 following the global financial crisis, in order to reduce borrowing costs. Only existing bonds were tapped in the latest auction.

The spreads were close to what Sanral has achieved in the past. The two fixed bonds — the HWAY20 and HWAY34 — were trading at 55 basis points and 68 basis points above government bonds with similar maturities, respectively. "Our trading prior to September 2011 was 60 to 65 basis points above the government bonds. The various government bonds with similar maturities are our benchmark, so it was a good price for us," Ms Mulder said. If the spread does not widen, the pricing has not increased.

The failed auction in 2011 was largely a result of uncertainty over the start of e-tolling. Although revenue collection rates are still low, at 36%, collections are slightly ahead of Sanral’s forecasts.

"From the four months of information we have given since e-tolling started, investors are now more comfortable and feel we are able to collect enough money to service our debt in the long term," Ms Mulder said. "The biggest uncertainty was whether e-tolling was ever going to start and not whether we were going to collect."

RMB Global Markets Research credit analyst Elena Ilkova said: "The comfortable level of oversubscription combined with clearing spreads implies that Sanral is well on its way to re-establishing market access.

"The pricing was very good considering that effectively what we have had is a continuous string of bad news about Sanral for the past two years."

Sanral plans to raise R5.5bn in bonds this year through monthly auctions of R500m to R600m. This would cover the cost of operations as well the repayment of some of the short-term debt taken out by Sanral in October prior to the start of e-tolling.

Ms Ilkova believed the amount to be raised could be a little on the "upside as Eskom also raises debt regularly and Transnet remains in the market".

So big business and investors are slowly getting behind e-tolling.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.