Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2014 GS Trophy - North America  (Read 1293 times)

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
2014 GS Trophy - North America
« on: November 21, 2013, 05:41:28 pm »
Info from the organizers....

"For the first time in its history, the 2014 BMW Motorrad International GS Trophy will take place in the northern hemisphere, with 16 teams comprising participants from at least 18 nations set to rendezvous in Canada to contest this friendly competition dedicated to the famous GS spirit."

“Furthermore, I’m delighted to say that next year, all participants will be using the liquid-cooled R 1200 GS to contest the Trophy, which will be the first time that the competition is featuring the large-capacity travel enduro. For the three previous events, we’ve used the outstanding F 800 GS which has served us extremely well, but we feel it’s now time to demonstrate the ability and agility of our big sports boxer as the ultimate ‘go anywhere’ motorcycle.”

I have a feeling that this is going to be a great ride.....  ;)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: 2014 GS Trophy - North America
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:44:52 pm »
So hulle gaan sneeu ry i.p.v sand? ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:27:29 pm »
That should quieten some people on the forum with regards to the capabilities of the 1200 GS

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 05:37:10 pm »
So hulle gaan sneeu ry i.p.v sand? ;)
Nee, gelukkig in die somer.  So daar sal net bietjie modder wees....
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline lecap

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 08:19:55 am »
That should quieten some people on the forum with regards to the capabilities of the 1200 GS

Why? It's just a publicity stunt.
No one asks which bike would be best in the event, the marketing guys dictate which bike will be placed.
See LWD ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 03:35:17 pm »

No one asks which bike would be best in the event, the marketing guys dictate which bike will be placed.

Lecap you really are bordering on down right trolling and its getting a little Monotonous don't you think?
Pass this way once!

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:24:52 am »

Lecap you really are bordering on down right trolling and its getting a little Monotonous don't you think?

My dad use to say, if you have nothing good to say then best keep your trap shut, you see one could harp on the negative all the time... Like referring to bad press Le Cap has been exposed to in his dealings with dissatisfied customers
Stones and glasshouses

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:57:25 am »
Info from the organizers....

"For the first time in its history, the 2014 BMW Motorrad International GS Trophy will take place in the northern hemisphere, with 16 teams comprising participants from at least 18 nations set to rendezvous in Canada to contest this friendly competition dedicated to the famous GS spirit."

“Furthermore, I’m delighted to say that next year, all participants will be using the liquid-cooled R 1200 GS to contest the Trophy, which will be the first time that the competition is featuring the large-capacity travel enduro. For the three previous events, we’ve used the outstanding F 800 GS which has served us extremely well, but we feel it’s now time to demonstrate the ability and agility of our big sports boxer as the ultimate ‘go anywhere’ motorcycle.”

I have a feeling that this is going to be a great ride.....  ;)

'Ey???

The first GS Trophy was held in Tunisia in 2008.
When did BMW move the Equator?
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline lecap

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 10:00:54 am »

So you're telling me a manufacturer will select the best suited bike for an event not the most recent one or the one which they feel should get exposure ???

You tell me you'd rather ride through Africa on a loaded up R1200GS rather than on a XChallenge whilst a train of 4x4's carries your goodies, tools, spares, film crew and mechanics???

You tell me I'm a troll ???

And you aren't naïve ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 08:12:09 am »
LeCap, for a man of your knowledge and experience, I find it odd that you go out of your way to keep posting negative comments related to the 1200 LC.  Fact is that it makes no difference to the general opinion of those who own or ride the bikes.  The only one who suffers is you.  Negative energy wears out even strong men.....  You should really stick to the threads where your contributions are meaningful to the readers.  I cannot really work out your motives by posting your perceptions based on assumptions you make from reading stuff in the press and listening to all the other naysayers out there.  2SD's BMW posts at least have an underlying sense of humour....

I am in no position to give you advice, but I just feel that your time and effort will be worth a lot more elsewhere on the forum.  Come old man.  Chill.  There is more to life than this.....  :thumleft:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline lecap

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:19:14 am »
SGB please note that I did not say the R1200GS LC isn't a great bike.

It's actually the bike I believe BMW should have designed in 1993 instead of the Oilheads. And believe me I am not the only one.

You posted a press release stating the facts about the 2014 GS Trophy (which weren't all that factual as Aquatic pointed out :lol8: )

Biker Jan believes this is proof of the capabilities of the bike.

I claim that the marketing department chooses the bike based on what they want to promote not on which bike would be the most suitable.

I don't see anything derogatory inflammatory in my reply. it's just as trollish as Biker Jan's comment. Not more, not less, just another opinion.

If I explain what could cause a bike (and in this case the R1200GS LC) to tank slap I get called a troll because I don't have an R1200GS LC.

If I explain the technical implications caused by a misaligned steering stop I get called a troll because one other guy has one and his steering stops are fine and he believes it only was some early problem.

Now please go and find the post(s) where I claim that al R1200GS LC are rubbish because they tank slap and have misaligned steering stops.

Nothing ???

Offline SGB

• DS Rider Training
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 06:38:50 pm »
Part of the spin-off of any GS Trophy is to advertise the capabilities of the bike of their choice.  If BMW hosts the event at their cost, they can use whatever they feel is the right bike for their reasons.  The 800 has been used for the last 3 events, now they want to use the 1200.  So what.  They can use the 1600 GTL for all I care.  Everyone is on the same bike and the playing field is level.

I predict that spin-offs from the event will include marketing and showing off some capabilities of the 1200.  That is the purpose and spirit of the event.  And I can easily live with that.  All the riders have a great time assisting BMW with all of the above.  Looking forward.....  :thumleft:
www.countrytrax.co.za