Roof Of Africa....Pay your way to the finish??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Blip It!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
After speaking to a few guys that finished "the Roof" this year, one of them my brother, all of them spoke about the increasing number of participants that would pay the local Basotho's to help them through the difficult sections. I find this to be very unsporting and I believe the organizers need to address it by disqualifying the guys that pay the locals to assist/carry their bikes through the difficult sections. If you can not ride it yourself you should drop out, you are not good enough, so try again next year! If you need assistance I see nothing wrong with teaming up with a fellow rider and assisting each other, but to pay the locals then stand back while they carry your bike over difficult obstacles is straight forward cheating in my books!
A friend of mine (also a WD) told me about a participant who would pay the locals at every "af kak" section to carry and drag his bike through, he would then overtake this dude again at the top whilst this dude was busy paying the locals, same thing would happen at the next heavy obstacle!
Another thing the locals would do is pile rocks in the route making it extremely difficult then ask for payment from riders to assist them over their booby trap! This behavior has been created by those who pay for assistance, if nobody paid their wouldn't be this behavior!!
Come on guys, keep "the Roof" clean and fair!!!
Is it all about earning your finish or paying your way to the finish?? What do you guys think?