A word of warning when considering a vehicle buy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heddles

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
First of all, lets make sure that we try and use social media to our advantage here and inform people of the dangers out there when people are chasing money.
Lets try and bump this to the top as often as we can to get as many reads as possible.

A lot of us know this but there are a surprising number of people who don't This is mainly to help them not get ripped a new anoose...

We all make mistakes. Share the experience and we can make a lot of people wiser.
When approaching a potential buy, be it for whatever reason you want it and whatever vehicle it may be, make sure that you are fully aware of what you are getting yourself into. Condition, Registration documents, Full Service History, outstanding license fees or whatever.. If in doubt, get a qualified and trusted person to assist you and give you advice. DO NOT BUY STUFF WITH YOUR HEART!
If the ad says FSH.. Then you want to see it when you look at the vehicle with intent to buy. Check the mileage and cross refer to the records.. If you are doubtful, follow up on the places that serviced the vehicle. Make sure. 
Same with reg docs. You know what a pain in the butt it is to get a vehicle registered in your name, if it is still registered in the name of the institution that financed it? See them and make sure that everything is in order.. If you are in doubt.. Ask someone!!

I recently heard of a CX500 in Cape Town at an already dodgy establishment.. Two Wheel Mecca... The name should tell all....
Bike has papers, rolling chassis and in great condition... I need a set of papers so R3500 sounds like a great deal.

I go and look and the bike is reasonable and just what I need to do the job. In reality, worth half of what the oke is asking but it has papers so it is going to help me a great deal.. Or so I assume...

I am assured by the oke in charge that there are no outstanding license fees and the bike has not been deregistered.. When I ask to see the papers, there seems to be a problem and he will e mail me after supposedly looking for them and saying that he can't find them...

This is the drivel I receive..

"I HAVE PREPARED AN INVOICE FOR PAYMENT AND HAVE BEEN AWAITING THE LICENSE
DOCUMENTS FROM THE PREVIOUS OWNER BUT WILL DRAW A VEHICLE STATUS TO CONFIRM
THE LICENSE STATUS."

Now this goes against what he had told me.. Firstly he said that there were no outstanding fees and secondly, he said that he had the papers.. Not to mention that the bike has a sign on it with the asking price of R3500 and to to say it has papers..

Days go by because I want to start to make a decision on what I am going to do with my bike and what donor I am going to use, delayed by the prospect of this new consideration as donor. After approaching this oke again, I realise that there is a something dodgy about this whole thing. I take the bike's details and I get my trusty friend to find out the status for me... Yip.... 4 years outstanding license fees.. That would equate to a few grand to get sorted out...
So I call him and tell him the news. I also tell him that I am prepared to pay him his price for the bike if he sorts out that outstanding license fee issue. He has some BS story about now knowing why this guys is stalling...
After telling him this and listening to his idle banter about where he got this bike and what he paid for it, I realise that he is a con man and he is trying to offload his junk on to someone else and take their money. He then asks me what I am prepared to pay for the bike knowing the license status of the bike? I tell him 1500 bucks tops.... "NOOOOO!!!!! I can't accept that! I am losing too much if I let it go for that!!!" Clearly knows the status but attempting to make a quick buck anyway...

So be warned.... Use social media to spread the word... Once they have your cash, there is no getting it back...

I am known for buying junk without thinking.. I have become a lot better over the last few years.. I have seen others make mistooks and have had a few good advisors. I have learned to step back and look.. Possibly even leave it the first time and go back a second or third to look...