Gaiters - Fork Boots - For road bikes and any other semi ADV's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacapa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Here is a cool way of getting your fork seals to last a little longer. My 4 month old Honda NC700X was showing signs of oil
leaking from both fork seals - one side leaking a bit stronger than the other side. How that happened will be a mistery forever....

Cleared the warrantee claim with Honda - Pinetown and all was good. In the previous 15 years I had fitted some OEM gaiters and
new fork seals to my 1985 BMW airhead back in 1999 and all is still good on that front after 80K km. By now rightiously convinced
that gaiters are the way to go I had planned my warrenty claim trip to Honda Pinetown.

Fork Boots - Gaiters - whatever they are called - where to get and procure? Startline made in China items are known to last a few months
at best so no option there. The Yammy and Honda items were in the region R300 per side but nothing made to fit my bike.

On a long shot combined with a work trip I went past Grant Umpleby - Suzuki - Durban who were great at addressing my problem with my
Honda motorcycle - we talked about what I needed and established that Suzuki parts would not be an option. Then Grant pointed me to
Midas 100m down the road do the standard car range of parts where maybe the Midas R36 per side steering linkage boot would be an
option.

The rest is history - Honda Pinetown workshop did a great job today, Midas had the right parts at the right price and final assembly looks
a whole lot stronger than made in China stuff. Thanks to Umpleby Durban, Honda Pinetown, myself and the cool people here to make it
happen. Pics attached but please note that the stainless clamps I bought today are not fitted yet. They were almost more expensive than
the gaiters. All in the upgraded gaiters were R 110. Smiles all round then  O0

Attachments

• IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 555