Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First Little Trip  (Read 2947 times)

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
First Little Trip
« on: May 30, 2006, 02:18:32 pm »
It was a bit sudden but sometimes that is the best way. I got the oppertunity to ride a TA for a weekend and decided to do my first long distance trip. The plan was to ride from Amanzimtoti to Pretoria on the Saturday, using backroads of course. And then back on the Sunday. I mentioned this to a friend and he then organised a F650 GS for himself and would meet me in Volksrus.
05h30 and the steed is waiting. Not too chilly on the south coast.

20km into the trip and a quick stop to check luggage and the approach of dawn.

40km into the trip on the R603 near Eston and "not too chilly" changed to freezing.

This is my first fuel stop and cappucino in Mooiriver. Also learnt my first valuable lesson. Always know the bike you ride. I planned to stop at about 220km as the bike carries 19L of fuel. But the bike ran dry at 188km. I thought this was a bit heavy on juice. After checking the manual and realising there is no reserve tap I had to resort to experiences from the offroad scene. I parked on an offramp and then tipped the bike completely on its side. After that it started and I rode 12km stopping and starting into Mooiriver.
[/img][/url]
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
First Little Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:32:38 pm »
On my way again. This is the bridge going into Estcourt. The temprature have not picked up yet. And I am doing regular fuel stops.

Meeting up with HardCor at the Wimpy in Volksrus. I was a bit late due to my previous adventures. I also encountered heavy sidewinds between Ladysmith and Newcastle. The bike consumed 9.5L/100km.

I wanted to stop at the church in Amersfoort, seeing as that is the trend on this forum. But down the road was the Stads Huis.

Another photo stop next to the Vaalriver. Luckily the temprature picked up a bit but we were still battling strong winds.

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
First Little Trip
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 02:46:16 pm »
The same stop from another angle. That is the N11 passing overhead. Notice the evidence from the summer's flooding in the background on the right.

After dodging potholes for a while we came to this unplanned complication. This is about 60km before Bethal. As we were taking picks a local farmer stopped and advised us to carry on. "Wa gan julle manne? Nee man gan net reguit julle manne sal regkom!" So on we went. Love DS bikes as any other would have had to turn around.

Conditions on the road varried a bit. Some parts were as shown below and on some those heaps of gravel on the right were already spread across the road. This made for some interesting riding and long following distances.

On the same stretch they kept reminding us. We lost a bit of time on this stage as this carried on all the way into Bethal.

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
First Little Trip
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 02:51:41 pm »
Yo bud. The TA at its worst can go 260km with a tank. There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with your KM's. Loaded with 60KG luggage and me on top, I can get 250 going at 130km/h.

But enough about that, good going!   :lol:
100001 110010 1101010

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
First Little Trip
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:55:00 pm »
After a stop in Bethal we took the beautiful newly surfaced road to Middelburg. As the plan was to do a lunch stop on HardCor's farm before heading to Pretoria. This is the Slaghoek turnoff from the Middelburg/Loskopdam road.

What a DS rear should look like.

HardCor coming on at speed.

A photo for you TA fanatics. It was getting late and we needed to push on so took the N4 to Pretoria. The initial plan was to follow a part of the WWR trip route, supplied by Leo(Thanks!), but due to our delays we had no time.

shark_za

First Little Trip
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 02:57:20 pm »
Nice man, waiting for more.

This road was like this when me and Zonkelnut rode through on the way to Mozambique. We also just went straight on!

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
First Little Trip
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 03:08:17 pm »
As we headed into the setting sun and passing from Mpumalanga into Gauteng. The 2 bikes were really evenly matched. Although there was a definate more solid feel and look to the TA. Also the 21" front on the TA made thick sand less of a hassle.

Getting a bit bored on the N4 and taking "action pics".

On the Sunday I was a bit stiff. So after a hearty breakfast at the folks I set off on my own. I was a bit knackered from the 850km of the previous day and decided to take the fast way to Durban. So sorry for chickening out. This is on Van Reenen's Pass. Not any more pics taken from here.

And at home at last. I was very impressed with the TA. Not one technical hickup in 1600km. And the consumption improved marketly to about 15km/l. I must also mention that I am 6'2" and 130kg so that also had an effect.

All in all a good trip had and valuable lessons learned regarding equipment, clothing and planning. Also a BIG THANK YOU to Honda Wing Umhlanga for supplying the bike.

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
First Little Trip
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 03:10:22 pm »
Quote from: "Zonkelnut"
Yo bud. The TA at its worst can go 260km with a tank. There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with your KM's. Loaded with 60KG luggage and me on top, I can get 250 going at 130km/h.

But enough about that, good going!   :lol:

Hey, the bike has been standing for a while and I thick it just needed to get out. Was running very rich.

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Yo! Sup?
First Little Trip
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 03:15:19 pm »
Quote from: "bud500"

... And the consumption improved marketly to about 15km/l ...

That sounds better. Still, well done and maybe we can see you. But until then, let the "SA's Adventure Riders Network" flag fly high!
100001 110010 1101010

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
First Little Trip
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 03:41:20 pm »
Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it. Looks good

My only concern is with that cargo net. In my experience they tend to shift. I don't know how your load behaved but I'd recommend you switch over to straps.

Great report. Thanks for posting it 8)

shark_za

First Little Trip
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 03:44:42 pm »
I'm all for cargo nets, handiest piece of equipment developed.

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
First Little Trip
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 03:53:33 pm »
The net is new and worked really well. I experienced no shifting. I even used the cargo as a bit of a backrest. And at R40 is very affordable.
I also found that at fuel stops in windy conditions it is really handy to store wallet or gloves temporarily.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
First Little Trip
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 04:04:33 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
I'm all for cargo nets, handiest piece of equipment developed.

I've noticed this net and are looking at it with some interest. Me having zero when it comes to lugging stuff around. Not even a back pack. Seems that it may be a cheap solution, although not the best option but workable.

Nice trip Bud. I envy you guys who go on such trips just on a whim. 8)  :cry:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
First Little Trip
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 04:44:17 pm »
Nice on Bud!

My experience with Cargo nets are that you should not rely on them as your sole means of tying things to your bike. Why I did that when I picked up my brand new helmet plus jacket and trousers I don't know... Fortunately it all stayed in place. Very handy piece of kit, though it's always better to tie the luggage itself to the bike.

98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
First Little Trip
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 04:46:42 pm »
Nice report and pics, well done. 850 Km's in a day is good going any day you can do that is a good day. SOmetimes the short notice trips are the best...
 :lol:  :lol:
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
First Little Trip
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 05:44:40 pm »
nice one bud! good to see some durban okes getting out there on ds bikes. every time i fly to durbs and look down out the window of the plane i see a LOT of gravel roads 8) and just wish...

Offline Leo

First Little Trip
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 08:40:30 pm »
Nice report Bud

Glad you made it back safe!

Next time you're in this neck of the woods, let us know, maybe we can meet you somewhere on the way here, or just go and have a cold one somewhere!

..................even Welshie will agree to that! :lol:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
First Little Trip
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 11:41:32 pm »
Quote from: "Leo"
or just go and have a cold one somewhere!

I second that motion!!!!!!!
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
First Little Trip
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 09:31:25 am »
Thanks Gents. I have never been able to find something like a cold "one". It always leads to 2 or more... :wink:

I do not have a DS bike yet but plans are in the works to get one.