Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Great American Trek - South African adventure motorcycle documentary  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Halfadog

• Bike: BMW F800GS
    • The Great American Trek
Heya everybody!

We are two South African doctors (a married couple) who are planning a yearlong trip from Argentina to Alaska in 2014. We will be leaving in September 2014, going from Antarctic to Arctic Circle and will be traveling through 18 different countries over the course of 12 months, each on our own bike.

We are focusing our trip around raising awareness and funds for charity. Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres) have agreed to be our main associated charity as well as Kind Cuts for Kids, a charity centered on providing vital surgery to children in undeveloped countries and disadvantaged communities (http://www.kindcutsforkids.net/). We will be visiting their sites along the way and spending time with the people they help. We will also be visiting a number of smaller local charities along the way, helping in any way we can.

Meg (my wife & riding partner) has also recently been diagnosed with TB, after picking it up from working in a government hospital. Although her prognosis is good, it gave us quite a scare as you can imagine. So we are also focusing the work around education and the treatment of TB in the third world.

We have been offered appearances on radio (Gareth Cliff and Ballz radio) and spots in magazines (Bike SA and Myfiets). We have also recently been approached by a well known production company who want to make a documentary of the trip, the details of which are still being finalized. This has helped us to secure a few great sponsorships as well.

So if anybody has any suggestions / advice / contacts / sponsorship ideas etc. etc. (BADLY NEEDED!) it will be greatly appreciated, we are currently still collecting the gear and cash to do the trip

We have a Facebook page, Twitter account and a Blog which has JUST been put together, so some tweaking (not twerking) is still to come.

PLEASE gooi us a few likes/follows and shares here and there, we will be lank grateful!

Thanks!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greatamericantrek
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GreatAmericanTr
Website/Blog: www.greatamericantrek.com
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:12:21 pm by Halfadog »

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
Re: The Great American Trek
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:36:23 am »
All of the best for your trip!

Hope the awareness of TB and " kind cuts"  is going to be VERY sucsessfull! 
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:02:32 am »
Thanks Dusty - Hope so too, its looking good so far, so we are very optimistic, but still need all the help we can get

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 11:26:37 am »
Good luck with this. I will most certainly follow your progress.

:sip:
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline Attack Dog

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:41:52 pm »
If it will help, a women did this trip solo a while ago on a jalopie of a bike, I can't remember the detail but it should be on the web somewhere. I know there was some part in Central America where she could not pass through and had to fly the bike to the next country.
Only bikers will ever understand why dogs stick their heads out the car window

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 07:05:28 am »
Thanks guys, I will check that trip out. @Attack dog I think what you might be thinking of is crossing the Darien Gap, we have looked into it and have found a new ferry service that we want to use, they actually do island tours and snorkeling on the way, they are a new service run by a young couple, so we want to talk to them re: sponsoring the ferry ride and we will promote it

Offline immigrant

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:18:54 pm »
Can help you with routes/ tips for Canada. Pm me if you want more info
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:55:42 am »
When you pass through the great state of Washington be sure to drop in. What ever you need we will make it happen and maybe we can slip away and show you some good routes heading north.  Check the timing for Horizons Unlimited gathering in British Colombia, should be m/l the time you will be coming back from Alaska or on the way up.
What is your timeline, if not set, let me recommend Dec. Jan. for Tierra Del Fuego, (can get cold there and the winds on the Patagonia will be the lowest, (only a constant 100k).  Need to be out of Alaska by early Sept. , any latter and you risk some very cold rides. There are better times for other areas to miss rain and get a little more sun but the two ends will dictate. 

When you finish your ride I think the best plan would be to come back here to ship bikes back to SA.  Shipping is always a stress point so I would be glad to help there. Shipping into South America I would suggest you contact Dakar Moto in BA Argentina, they are good people.

Check the blogs at HorizonsUnlimited.com for ideas, things to see and places to stay. My blog is horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/thode  you will need to go back in the archives to find South America.

Send me a PM and I will get you my email address. I owe a debt to a lot of good people in South Africa so do not be shy about letting me know what we can do to help.

Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 07:25:17 am »
Thanks for the the offers of help guys, much appreciated, I will send you PMs ASAP to get the details in line

Offline Rynet

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »
Dream Trip you guys planned and for some good causes too.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Looking very much forward to your RR , and updates on fb.   Enjoy ! :ricky:

If you put your routes up on http://advrider.com/forums/index.php you can probably get lots of help and places to stay with the Yanks.

See also http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-adventures/ for good advice and info and a good dose of humour too. Lois did the trip in reverse,  from Alaska to Argentina solo on a little Yamaha XT225 Serow

" Armed only with the Spanish words for "caution" and "cheese," Lois set off to conquer America---both Americas, actually. Starting in Alaska and working her way down the Pacific Coast, she rode through snow, desert, and everything in between to reach the southernmost tip of Argentina.

Lois tackled every type of route? imaginable and endured everything the continents could throw at her with quick thinking and a vibrant sense of humor. Whether bribing her way through Central American borders, spending the night in a Mexican brothel, or crashing her bike in Patagonia, Lois's bright, funny travelogue will charm anyone who longs for adventure and a stretch of the open road"

Ps her books are a much read , and very funny , see also  Red Tape , White Knuckles, about her solo trip through West Africa.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:28:53 pm by Rynet »
Its impossible, said pride. Its risky, said experience. 

Its pointless, said reason. Give it a try, whispered the heart.

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 08:18:30 pm »
Dream Trip you guys planned and for some good causes too.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Looking very much forward to your RR , and updates on fb.   Enjoy ! :ricky:

If you put your routes up on http://advrider.com/forums/index.php you can probably get lots of help and places to stay with the Yanks.

See also http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-adventures/ for good advice and info and a good dose of humour too. Lois did the trip in reverse,  from Alaska to Argentina solo on a little Yamaha XT225 Serow

" Armed only with the Spanish words for "caution" and "cheese," Lois set off to conquer America---both Americas, actually. Starting in Alaska and working her way down the Pacific Coast, she rode through snow, desert, and everything in between to reach the southernmost tip of Argentina.

Lois tackled every type of route? imaginable and endured everything the continents could throw at her with quick thinking and a vibrant sense of humor. Whether bribing her way through Central American borders, spending the night in a Mexican brothel, or crashing her bike in Patagonia, Lois's bright, funny travelogue will charm anyone who longs for adventure and a stretch of the open road"

Ps her books are a much read , and very funny , see also  Red Tape , White Knuckles, about her solo trip through West Africa.  :thumleft:

Thanks! Sounds like a fantastic site, I look forward to checking it out and reading one or two of her books. Hopefully we will be armed with more than 'caution' and 'cheese' in our vocab. Maybe another one or two like 'what' 'where' or 'huh?'

You gave us some fantastic advice here, shot for the support!  :thumleft:

Offline Indy se baas

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:07 pm »
Sub :sip:

Offline zook

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »
Well done guy's that will be an awsome trip!
Keep us updated

Offline wolfandzebra

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • Wolf and Zebra
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »
Fantastic! Great to see other couples planning mad adventures like this.

We're starting in February riding in the opposite direction. We should be in Argentina by the end of the year, so perhaps we'll cross paths somewhere along the way. We have done tons of research regarding the following:
- GPS options
- PLBs vs Spot or Delorme
- Bike prep
- Sponsorship

We're working on getting all this info posted on the blog: http://www.wolfandzebra.com/ but we're a little behind due to full time employment - which ends in a week! Wooo!
If you want more info on any of the topics above hit me up on PM and I'll be happy to share what we have learned.

`Zebra.

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:33:29 pm »
Great! Will keep in touch - so jealous you're leaving already!

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »
So plenty has happened in the last week or two - The trip is really gaining a lot of interest and momentum, with lots of offers of support, sponsorship, advice and places to stay. The documentary has also become a really big deal, it will be professionally filmed as a series and I reckon it will be pretty damn radical. After all - I think South Africa and the adventure riding community in general is in need of an awesome series - after all "The long way round" is becoming a tad long in the tooth  :pot:
We have even been offered a huge sponsorship by Canon, the cameras are on their way, and we are moerse excited--

Our logo has also been finalized, and will be printed as a high-quality vinyl sticker, which will be sold to help fund the journey - we're keen to hear what you think of it

ALSO: Our fundraising and donations page is finally up and donations have already started coming in. If you dig what we are doing, and you're keen for a cool series full of bikes, crazy places, crazy people, medical work, good behavior, and bad behavior (more likely) you can throw us a bone-- ANY contribution will help, and will be greatly appreciated. Plus all the funds made from the documentary will be going to charity  :angel4: (check them out on our home-page)
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/great-american-trek/x/6160591

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:08:40 pm by Halfadog »

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 08:45:44 pm »
Our stickers have arrived!
They are beautifully printed, high-detail vinyl stickers - lookin' good! If you want one of these beauties, please support our trip and we will send some your way - Be part of an awesome trip and a great documentary before it's even screened, and support charity while you do it - ANY donation is very much appreciated!

To donate please check out our fundraising page:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/great-american-trek

See link for lots of other goodies also up for grabs for different donation sizes - names in the credits, stickers on the panniers, questions in filmed interviews, etc etc.

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
Howzit

great to meet you last night
best of luck with the trip

I thought of another site to post about your trip to garner interest & support
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

I see TechnomadicJim & Jo Rust are on there too

regards
Rob
ps sticker will be on car asap !
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

www.harleyparts.online

Offline Winston

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Empangeni
All the best with your trip  :thumleft:

Offline Halfadog

Thanks guys - things are starting to come together pretty quickly now, cant wait to start this thing!
@Rob - great to meet you too! Will try get something up on Horizons unlimited ASAP - its a great idea, thanks--