Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a DRZ400...  (Read 817 times)

Offline Eddy81

Thinking of getting a DRZ400...
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:35:16 am »
Hey guys, I can't see the DRZ400 on the Suzuki homepage, do you guys know if one can still buy the Suzuki drz400 new?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:04:43 pm by Eddy81 »

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Does Suzuki still sell the drz400 in SA?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:46:01 am »
No. last new ones came in 2010, I think. There were new SM models around until 2011. Expect to pay between R35k and R40k for a late model with less than 10k km on it. Older bikes (before 2005) can be had for R25k, but then they need work.
They make great DS bikes - I've had a few, built a 462cc and am now rebuilding a std motor for a fellow dog.
“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Eddy81

Re: Does Suzuki still sell the drz400 in SA?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:19 pm »
Thanks for the info! The bikes from 2006- onwards are probably all the same spec wise?  I can get a 2006 but the guy wants 32k for it. I was thinking of putting an offer in. I think 32k is a bit high...

Yeah, I like the old school charm of the bike and heard they are bulletproof!

Offline Torque Curve

Re: Thinking of getting a DRZ400...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:00:28 pm »
The DRZ400E has FCR pumper carb, lively cams and higher compression ratio than the S and SM models. Since 2005 most E-models in SA were sold with lights and on the road kit as std equipment. That same bike is still being sold in Aus. Make an offer yes, bikes for sale this time of year is often because the seller wants the cash more than the bike. Start at R28k. Tyres, chain and sprockets totals R2500 - R3000 to replace if worn. Check both brake discs - R4000+ to replace with OEM, R1500 if you go aftermarket. If the rear shock needs a seal or re-gas you are looking at R1000 - R1500.
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:04 am »
Thanks, I didn't even think of checking for most of those things you mentioned now.  One more thing that concerns me is that it doesn't start at all.  The guy assured me that nothing is wrong with it, but he doesn't have time to take it to somebody that can sort it out and get it in running condition.  He says it's cause the bike hasn't started in 18 months...  So I guess I can still make him an offer but probably allot less just in case it need allot of work done to get it in perfect condition again.

I'm seeing the bike a bit later today. 

Thanks guys

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:59:26 am »
if its a non starter dont touch it, they can be very expensive to maintain , the carb will be all gummed up and the heads have welsh plugs in that rust  and can cost you a new head because Suzuki don't sell the welsh plugs as a separate item. at a bout R15000.00 , at the price he is looking for it should be running and come with a COR, for a 2006 on the road you should not pay more than R28000. in a running order with COR.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:03:08 am by Grumpleton »
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:46:04 am »
if its a non starter dont touch it, they can be very expensive to maintain , the carb will be all gummed up and the heads have welsh plugs in that rust  and can cost you a new head because Suzuki don't sell the welsh plugs as a separate item. at a bout R15000.00 , at the price he is looking for it should be running and come with a COR, for a 2006 on the road you should not pay more than R28000. in a running order with COR.

I agree with Grumpy here. Rather buy a bike that is in regular use. After 18 months of not being used some seals could be dry and brittle and all the oil has already drained off the parts high up in the head.
I would offer less than R25k if the bike looks good visually and not start it before the motor was flushed and the top-end checked out - all things I do myself so no expense incurred.
The older a bike is the bigger the risk of some thug with hammers having done some 'tuning' in there. I learned an expensive lesson with a 2006 DRZ that seized a camshaft after 800km of ownership due to excessive silicone sealers used as gasket maker.

Offline Louis Photo

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:05:36 pm »
I advertised on Gumtree that I was looking for a DRZ, a seller replied with a very nice looking DRZ400E - registered early 2011, with just under 10 000Km on the clock. Seller wanted 32k, and I offered him 30k which he accepted. Bike needed new tyres, that was my only additional expense to get it flying through roadworthy..

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 02:35:03 pm »
Thanks for the heads up!  The fact that the motor hasn't seen any action in so long was a worry for me.  I had a look at the bike and it really doesn't look like it was ridden often. Still looks very very new.  But yeah... It might just be too high of a risk.

I reckon I'll keep on shopping. Unless I can get it for R20000.00.

Wow, R30k for a 2011 was a brilliant buy! Lucky!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:35:50 pm by Eddy81 »