Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Who registered for E Toll(poll added)  (Read 2570 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Who registered for E Toll(poll added)
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 02:25:15 pm »
Thats another point to consider - why must I pay etolls, to still sit 2 hours in traffic.  How did the etolls actually improved my commute?

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
Thats another point to consider - why must I pay etolls, to still sit 2 hours in traffic.  How did the etolls actually improved my commute?

perhaps move to the armpit? we have no gees, no decent shops, no hot pretoria girls, nothing to do, no money, BUT....

No traffic, no police, and no e-tolls  :biggrin:

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 07:19:58 pm »
Registered , hope to benefit from the 50% discount. These things are not going to go away!

We live in the Northern parts of Pretoria , we had toll gates for a number of years now and used E Tags for quite a while. It is a convenient way of paying the inevitable!! Saves a lot of time in peak traffic as well.

Same situation here. had an etag for 10 years already. Where was everyone fighting our fight while we fund the Bakwena highway to Rustenburg. R8 to travel from Zambesi to N4 on Bakwena then R6  to travel from N4 to New Road, is a bargain. Think we should campaign to make Bakwena charge the same rates as Sanral then in fact I will save on what I have been paying for the last 10 years. Roads were lovely and quiet this morning and If I take the hourly rate I am paid at work into account I actually made a saving. Still plenty of big cars with one person only in them. Hoping this etol thing will make people think and decide to lift club or buy bikes to reduce congestion on the highway.

you don't understand the problem with e-tolling, do you?

I think after being subjected to them for 10 years I Do???

And I also think my opinion is my opinion and I am entitled to it.
Where are my shorts??

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 07:31:04 pm »
Registered , hope to benefit from the 50% discount. These things are not going to go away!

We live in the Northern parts of Pretoria , we had toll gates for a number of years now and used E Tags for quite a while. It is a convenient way of paying the inevitable!! Saves a lot of time in peak traffic as well.

Same situation here. had an etag for 10 years already. Where was everyone fighting our fight while we fund the Bakwena highway to Rustenburg. R8 to travel from Zambesi to N4 on Bakwena then R6  to travel from N4 to New Road, is a bargain. Think we should campaign to make Bakwena charge the same rates as Sanral then in fact I will save on what I have been paying for the last 10 years. Roads were lovely and quiet this morning and If I take the hourly rate I am paid at work into account I actually made a saving. Still plenty of big cars with one person only in them. Hoping this etol thing will make people think and decide to lift club or buy bikes to reduce congestion on the highway.

you don't understand the problem with e-tolling, do you?

I think after being subjected to them for 10 years I Do???

And I also think my opinion is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

OK sorry, I maybe came across a bit snotty - of course you are entitled to your opinion, but it should be informed

What I meant, is that although I hate normal gated toll roads, especially that bikes pay the same as cars, I can sort of accept them, as they are fairly efficient

The GFIP being funded through e-tolling, is the most inefficient way to build roads and that's the main argument against e-tolling - when using GFIP roads, less than 60c of every Rand one pays, goes to the actual roads - the rest goes to collection and corruption

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:20 pm »
The extortion of the N4 Bakwena toll is that they toll traffic on a North-South highway (N1) in order to pay for an East-West road (N4.)  The N4 doesn't carry enough traffic to pay for itself, so SANRAL renamed a short portion of the N1 into the N4 in order to rip off motorists. 

What pisses me off is that Government is now trying to equate resistance to the E-toll as treason or unpatriotic behaviour.
NOT LISTENING TO THE VIEWS OF YOUR ELECTORATE IS UNPATRIOTIC !

Let's see how ZA votes in 2014...

:deal:
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online Manic

• CE
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:53 pm »
Alliance against urban tolling statement at 5pm today that their in-situ electronic sensors confirm 985 322 vehicles passed through William Nicol gantry, only 1339 of them were SANRAL registered with an e-tag. This is a massive setback for SANRAL.

1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 04:33:05 am »
Bit of a shocker this morning.  Picked up a Class B Avis car and they've added R400 to the deposit - refundable upon return less any e-Toll charges incurred.

I dont have a problem with Avis recovering charges - but what happens when the same car is used throughout the month by different drivers, and lets say they all use the highways so that the maximum toll is recovered (I think it's R450 per month).  By implication the drivers at the beginning of each month will get klapped and those driving at the end of the month should get their deposit back........or am i missing something?

If i'm right this is the last time I hire a car at the beginning of the month.....

Let us know what transpires with this please.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 04:45:41 am »
Bit of a shocker this morning.  Picked up a Class B Avis car and they've added R400 to the deposit - refundable upon return less any e-Toll charges incurred.

is there a loan car company which doesn't have etagged cars?
would be interesting to know.
it would be the only company i'd bother to hire a car from...

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 05:19:59 am »
One of the reasons why the car hire companies have supported the OATA lawsuit is that they have had to e-tag all their rental vehicles.  There isn't one company that hasn't e-tagged, because it places an additional administrative burden on them to manage the toll fees.

That is why the extra deposit is levied - it is less than the maximum amount per month for a tagged vehicle.  If they did NOT tag, then they could lose double and more that maximum, which they would then have to try to recoup from their customers after they have returned the cars.

All the state vehicles are tagged as well.  In addition, most large commercial owners are going the tagged route to save on toll fees and administration costs.   Now you know why there are maybe a million e-tagged vehicles in GP. 

It is now up to the private individual vehicle owners to not cooperate with the system.  They are also the voters who have been democratically opposing the forced introduction of this system against their wishes.   

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 06:27:18 am »
http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Sanral-blames-e-toll-glitches-on-ETFs-20131203

The DA said.....

"If you oppose tolling, you must oppose the current government."

So, by implication.....  If you support etoll (getting etagged), you support the current ANC government?

If so, well enjoy. But dont let us ever hear you bitching again....

Offline fixit

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 06:44:16 am »
The extortion of the N4 Bakwena toll is that they toll traffic on a North-South highway (N1) in order to pay for an East-West road (N4.)  The N4 doesn't carry enough traffic to pay for itself, so SANRAL renamed a short portion of the N1 into the N4 in order to rip off motorists. 

What pisses me off is that Government is now trying to equate resistance to the E-toll as treason or unpatriotic behaviour.
NOT LISTENING TO THE VIEWS OF YOUR ELECTORATE IS UNPATRIOTIC !

Let's see how ZA votes in 2014...
 :deal:

The same way they always vote. Bitch and moan about everything the gov does, but they still place their cross right next to the turtle face when no one is watching.
You must realise, there is a shitload of businesses that benfit from the ANC being in power.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 06:49:24 am »
The same way they always vote. Bitch and moan about everything the gov does, but they still place their cross right next to the turtle face when no one is watching.
You must realise, there is a shitload of businesses that benfit from the ANC being in power.

i dunno...
i live in northriding,  ward 15 if i recall correctly.
there are more non white people in the area (black,  indian,  coloured,  chinese) than there are white.
in the recent local election,  the DA won by a country mile.
lots of non whites obviously voted for them...
i think we will see a change in the local,  but for national,  i think people will stay with their favourites.
nevertheless,  it'll be interesting.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »
so SANRAL renamed a short portion of the N1 into the N4 in order to rip off motorists. 

I always wondered why there were 2 N4s running parallel

Offline spokie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • pretoria
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 04:23:00 pm »
Seems the police are writing out fines (R500) on the N1 after some gantries, for not having an e-tag. I've heard people "pay" the fine on the spot :o... typical, what else can you expect from SAP?

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »
Not having an E-tag is not a criminal offense.
Intimidating motorists who have no e-tag IS a criminal offense.
File out a complaint and charge the fackers.

Offline ktmrules

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 06:16:25 pm »
 :pot:
Rise and rise again until lambs turn into lions!!

Offline StevedW

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, 06:52:37 pm »
As far as I understand not paying your toll account is a criminal offence and pretty soon it will be like traffic fines; if any are outstanding they will have to be paid before you can license a vehicle.

Offline spokie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • pretoria
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 12:23:18 am »
As far as I understand not paying your toll account is a criminal offence and pretty soon it will be like traffic fines; if any are outstanding they will have to be paid before you can license a vehicle.

Nope, there is no such law in place regarding outstanding traffic fines affecting license renewals - once apon a time, yes there was, but not anymore. That principal is disfunctional and illogic.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »
Jeez, some okes need to learn to distinguish between fact and fiction.

Also, check your facts before posting shit. It just creates rumours.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »
Jeez, some okes need to learn to distinguish between fact and fiction.

Also, check your facts before posting shit. It just creates rumours.

pisses me off endlessly when people post shit that the average citizen should know is BS - folks seem so terrified that they are leaving their thinking caps at home  ::)