Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lets stage a Gauteng etoll protest with bikes! how many people?  (Read 10163 times)

Offline Dogboxelectric

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • SANI- So not done with Lesotho
Re: Lets stage a Gauteng etoll protest with bikes! how many people?
« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2014, 08:25:46 am »
From James.

There is a swarm of fly's in the ointment right now and we have been advised to postpone our protest till a later date. There are a number of reasons for this and i'll try clarify as best I can, there might be some reading between the lines required, but in essence this is the gist of the issues.

With the last run, there were a number of violations that breached our permit. Some within our control others not, but the main issues were the use of alcohol before the ride, alleged claim people were stopping on the freeway and urinating on the streets, and mooning the gantries

We have been advised that our permit will be rejected, and that will mean us going to court to fight it. We do not have the funds to do that. However should we go ahead and win this, the story coming from the back benches is that it is a fait accompi that the hosts will be arrested if any violation of any law or by laws are observed. That means a 3 day stint for Shaun and myself. This is the way they plan to set an example of us. The arrests will be groundless, but will be carried out regardless. This is not BS, it comes from the horses mouth.

We are therefore postponing the protest in JHB, but all other BAT regions protests will continue as planned. A new date will be set, and the other group Admins and ourselves will sit down to discuss how to clean up the different FB and Web pages. There is a concept that we are hiding the other groups from the authorities, and some how planning to subvert the protest. We all now its BS, but SANRAL has long arms and deep pockets.

We are also to ensure that all groups that will be attending the new date (to be announced) must do so under a single banner. The Sec Police have been monitoring the various pages, and gathering info to shut us down. Our new JMPD host isnt a friendly guy and proved his bias and attitude at the last run, we can say that we will be apposed at every turn in the future. We need to present a clean act if we are to continue. Which we will, there is no going back on our protests, but we need to fix
whats broken.

Keep an eye out for the change of date, it will be announced as soon as we can find a date and are happy they have nothing on us, and that what went wrong in the past will be rectified.

I so badly want to post this on FB, but I shant.
Mesmerising stuff?!?
Honda XR650L 2011
Kawasaki Versys 650 2014

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2014, 11:38:56 am »
Besides mooning the gantries - the other 'violations' are just a normal part of life in SA?

And I don't really think that pointing your bum at a gantry should be a crime - It's just those in authority being anal again
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline XTFREAK

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2014, 06:45:35 pm »
So im confused, maybe naivety but does this mean that if they don't give us permission to protest then we can't protest?  Isn't this the point of a protest?

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2014, 09:42:03 pm »
So im confused, maybe naivety but does this mean that if they don't give us permission to protest then we can't protest?

Only if you are a bad ass biker type.
All other sectors of society protest and be damned, and generally get what they are demanding.

Offline Kneeslider

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Classic Cycle Cabin
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2014, 09:45:19 pm »
But then again, no law stops you and 5000 of your closest buddies taking a breakfast run around the ring road of JHb driving/riding at the LEGAL minimum highway speed of 60kph, no laws broken, protest? What protest??