Is it really worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Brown

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Ok, this is probably going to end up as one of those moerse brand bashing, mud slinging, vloek mekaar and totally side tracked threads..........but hopefully I can get the info needed before it gets trashed!  :patch: :peepwall: :patch:

A while back I posted about buying a second bike to do the longer trips on and keeping my KLR ( which I really enjoy ) as my weekend and shorter trip bike. I have a bit of a space issue and can only really fit 1 bike in my garage.

I have been made quite a lekker offer on trading my KLR in on a new BMW 800 Adventure. I only travel 1 up so I don't really need a 1200 size scoot, although I was very impresed with what can be done with the 1200 BMW in capable hands. I would have to add in about 70k into the deal to pay the bike cash. I quite like the idea that I can do both long and short trips with 1 bike as well as commute.......sort of a one size fits all.

My question is........and this is where the shit starts..........is it really worth it?? Is there such a big difference between a 650 single and an 800 twin when it comes to dirt, I am not likely to travel dirt any faster than what I do now, +/- 80km/hr. Yes, on the tar there is a significant difference in that I can cruise at 160km/hr with the bigger bike vs 125km/hr with the single, and in a lot more comfort........but is it worth the extra R70k?

I'm not tying to stir up shit here, I would like to know what the more experienced DS riders out there have found in the difference between a mid size 650 class and the larger 800-1200 class of bikes....specifically in DS riding. Is the extra R70 - R80k worth it for the bigger bike or is it just an ego thing? Are the bigger bikes more stable, comfortable and all round better on the dirt, or is the smaller 650 class better for the dirt. I'm specifically talking about "gravel highway" type dirt, with the odd bit of twee spoor thrown in, I'm not refering to "camel man", Roof of Africa, Paris / Dakar Indiana Jones type of off roading.........just your normal everyday type of gravel roads that most of us are likely to travel on over a weekend.  :peepwall: :patch: