Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: APPEAL to unknown rider - please do not fall !  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
APPEAL to unknown rider - please do not fall !
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:35:58 am »
This is a concerned appeal to the unknown rider of a yellow BMW 1200GS with a black topbox @ 06h43 in Veeplaas travelling towards Perseverance (outside Port Elizabeth), busy lane splitting and dodging the mini taxi's, at approximately 70 to 80 kph this morning.

Please give a thought to the consequences if you should have the misfortune of being involved in any accident or an off.  By being dressed only in a light short sleeve shirt, a pair of jeans and casual sport shoes, having no gloves on is not much of protection against the abrasion punishment that the dirty tar road surface is going to dish out when you meet it at an 30 degree angle, travelling at any speed.

Now, it may be your individual right and choice to ignore ATGATT, however, the fact that your open face helmet was not even secured, and had its chin straps flapping next to it in the wind motivated me to post this message.

PLEASE - dress for the fall and not for the ride.   We really do not enjoy reading about riders getting hurt, even if they act like idiots and most likely deserve the punishment they will get for their arrogance.

Sorry, and with regret, no photo available.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:49:36 am by Watty »

Offline Coala

Re: APPEAL to unknown rider - please do not fall
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:45:54 am »
bloody hell.  Why is it always that the guys riding in the most stupid way, are the ones wearing the least protection?  Wise up ou, jy en die teer, die teer wen altyd. :-[

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Re: APPEAL to unknown rider - please do not fall
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:49:49 am »
was he standing?
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Renier

Re: APPEAL to unknown rider - please do not fall !
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:11 am »
i think he was busy "Endo'ing" the bike through the traffic ;-)
i see hooligans on the N1 everyday, 1 guy i though was busy doing the Dakar rally on his 640KTM...lanesplitting at ridiculous speeds..

and then i also see kids riding their boneys and scooters without fastening the helmet.. i chatted with the 1 boy at a robot 1ce, and he jus wiped his a$$ on my advice..

Evening news is where they begin with 'Good evening', and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:53:16 am »
I get a newsletter from the local biker's clubs association telling of happenings and events etc.

EVERY month there is a request to attend a funeral.

If people die so regularly falling off bikes then just how many survive the falls? Many, I presume.

Presuming then that there are lots of non fatal falls how well were these fallers protected from the tar? Just basic common sense would have saved them a lot of pain and discomfort.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:54:15 am by Grunt »

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:56:49 am »
Dan val hy... en die res word weer met dieselfde borsel geroskam... "blerrie stupid bikers"
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

masehare

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:18:21 am »
Sommige mense leer net op die harde manier.  :(

And to the laaitie on his small red scrambler (unknown brand) skipping stop streets in the Strand: Min dae. Your parents will probably tell everybody bikes are dangerous when the inevitable happens.

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:28:36 am »
Quoting a mate of mine, if you going to ride without full Kit make sure you at least wear a decent pair of boots and gloves, so that if you lucky enought to survive and land up in hospital you will still be able to walk to the pisser and be able to hold it yourself.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:05 am »
Quoting a mate of mine, if you going to ride without full Kit make sure you at least wear a decent pair of boots and gloves, so that if you lucky enought to survive and land up in hospital you will still be able to walk to the pisser and be able to hold it yourself.
9/11

if you on discovery u get a hawt nurse to do that for you  ;D

9/11 off
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:45:03 am »
 We really do not enjoy reading about riders getting hurt, even if they act like idiots and most likely deserve the punishment they will get for their arrogance.

Actually, I don't mind reading about idiots that hurt themselves.
Pain is usually an effective lesson.
 ;D

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:01:26 am »
Like Masehare said - if the inevitable happens some mother will for the rest of her life get nasty towards other bikers, as the evil bikes hurt her son.

We had the same thing in Protea Hights - girl on a poegie (pasolla for the gauties and moped for the rest of the world) that always jumped 4 way stops in the neighborhood. Not just jump it, but leaning so far due to speed that she cuts into the oncoming lane as well.

So one day I go to the shop and here she's standing next to the road (looking distraught but not harmed) with the poegie sticking out halfway from under a car's nose. Not any car. A police car nogals.

That was justice...

The other thing is the laaities on the N1 in the mornings that scream past me on their Chinese 200cc at breakneck speeds, without proper gear and a dead headlight.
So they are going too fast, don;t have protection AND the traffic can't see them that lekker...

>:(

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:02:03 am »
Hell, I get nauseous just thinking of the consequences.

I keep my jacket and trousers from my accident hanging just above my bikes as a reminder of just how hard and unforgiving the road is. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't shudder when I think of what could have been.

Just how would the family cope if the breadwinner is taken out of the workforce. No income, no home, no cars, no food, no school fees - how many lives destroyed by one person's negligence!

Lawrence

GS-holic

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:24 am »
 We really do not enjoy reading about riders getting hurt, even if they act like idiots and most likely deserve the punishment they will get for their arrogance.

Actually, I don't mind reading about idiots that hurt themselves.
Pain is usually an effective lesson.
 ;D

+1 Unfortunately, as Watty, will remember there was guy that was a real redneck a while back.  He use to ride like a maniak withou any ATGATT except a helmet. He passed me every morning to and the evenings from work everyday -

Followed him to his house gave him a piece of my mind amongst others "Someday you will kill yourself on that bike" which he did a week later, smashed into the narrow guage train.  I vowed never to place such an omen on someone ever again.  If someone wants to take the risk without ATGATT - it is their problem.  Me, I'm happy looking like Robocop and getting the smirkey comments from the bare skin lunatics riding in flip-flops.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:09:29 am by GS-holic »

Offline Die Rooi Baron

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 10:25:44 am »

[/quote]

Me, I'm happy looking like Robocop and getting the smirkey comments from the bare skin lunatics riding in flip-flops.
[/quote]

Or like the old "funny" guy at a local gunshop: "Hey, are yous from ve souf pole or what, hey?!"

ATGATT has saved me before, and it will do so again.
Die Rooi Baron
Red meat isn't bad for you - fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

I'm suffering from the rare condition bikelessness.

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:59:56 am »
As the saying goes :

"There are old bikers & there are stupid bikers. There are no old, stupid bikers......."

True's bob

WHS >:D
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

shark_za

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:17:23 am »
9/11

if you on discovery u get a hawt nurse to do that for you  ;D

9/11 off
Only on Classic Comprehensive and above.

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:19 am »
I often get the feeling that I should apologise to all the guys that have to sit behind me in the traffic while I lane split till I can find a spot to pull over for them as I refuse to travell faster than 40km through moving traffic (except on the freeway) will go a bit faster in stationery traffic but have learnt by my "close calls" that better they get impatient than I end up dead.
Yes often hop into the car rather than don full kit to pop down to the corner shop.
S
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 11:36:34 am »
I agree with all ofyou and I LOATHE wearing ATGATT.

quick 9/11

Grunt, JEEZ, where did you get that avatar?  Mine eyes, man, mine eyes and the violence level...... >:D >:D >:D

9/11 off

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 11:46:21 am »
quick 9/11

Grunt, JEEZ, where did you get that avatar?  Mine eyes, man, mine eyes and the violence level...... >:D >:D >:D

9/11 off

And SATAN kitty in your avatar is any better?  :D

Lawrence  8)

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
quick 9/11

9/11 off

And SATAN kitty in your avatar is any better?  :D

Lawrence  8)

*LOL* noted !