Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Know your enemy  (Read 7382 times)

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
Re: Know your enemy
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2013, 06:27:54 am »
The essence of OCR is the tollerences and patterns used for recognition. These vary from engine to engine. The software has to firstly "find" your number plate in the image. So placing your numberl plate off centre will challenge the engine under load. It also has to differentiate any other letters on the vehicle from the "Number Plate" characters. There is a limit on the tollerence of angles horizontally - some software use deskew techniques to do so but are also places extra strain on the engine and costs machine time - very taxing under high volume and load conditions. Spacing between characters are also important. For eample if your's was "G  P" versus "GP" signifies two "words" versus one. The clarity of the letters - i.e. faded letters also cause strain and may fail pattern matching.

So it would be useful to find out what OCR engines are being used and see what the tolerences are and maybe there are some loopholes. :biggrin:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2013, 07:08:20 am »
The essence of OCR is the tollerences and patterns used for recognition. These vary from engine to engine. The software has to firstly "find" your number plate in the image. So placing your numberl plate off centre will challenge the engine under load. It also has to differentiate any other letters on the vehicle from the "Number Plate" characters. There is a limit on the tollerence of angles horizontally - some software use deskew techniques to do so but are also places extra strain on the engine and costs machine time - very taxing under high volume and load conditions. Spacing between characters are also important. For eample if your's was "G  P" versus "GP" signifies two "words" versus one. The clarity of the letters - i.e. faded letters also cause strain and may fail pattern matching.

So it would be useful to find out what OCR engines are being used and see what the tolerences are and maybe there are some loopholes. :biggrin:

:sip:

what about placing a few stickers on your card close to the number plate, using the same font and colour?

"123 fok etol gp"or something?

would that confuse the OCR engine?  :laughing4:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:10:16 am by J-dog »

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:58 am »
The essence of OCR is the tollerences and patterns used for recognition. These vary from engine to engine. The software has to firstly "find" your number plate in the image. So placing your numberl plate off centre will challenge the engine under load. It also has to differentiate any other letters on the vehicle from the "Number Plate" characters. There is a limit on the tollerence of angles horizontally - some software use deskew techniques to do so but are also places extra strain on the engine and costs machine time - very taxing under high volume and load conditions. Spacing between characters are also important. For eample if your's was "G  P" versus "GP" signifies two "words" versus one. The clarity of the letters - i.e. faded letters also cause strain and may fail pattern matching.

In that case register a company called STP (Special Toll Plates), have decalls printed for your vehicle including 300 generic GP number plates in the standard font, colour and size and stick them on all over the car for "marketing" and start a taxi service up and down the M1/N1.
Phaak'm!

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:13 am »
Fok my sideways met 'n etag, van enemies gepraat, check die ou se verskoning!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=365529640250709&set=a.136525583151117.28130.100003810289475&type=3&theater

Jy wil dit nie dalk copy en paste of 'n screen grab of iets maak vir ons ouens wat nie access het nie?
Sorrie, sy woorde:
"After careful consideration - I really thought this one threw. I don't like e toll - But i have to submit to what Jesus wants me to do. If it is about the money, my trust must be in Jesus for finances.
So i'm putting my trust in Jesus and i got my e toll"

I mean really!

haai shame! en hy't sover nog net gemanage om een helkkie af te trap....  ::)

What, can you check on the usage of other road users?
What do you need? Licence plate number?

Or did he post this image himself?
PAPI states that one should not be able to obtain another persons information from any electronic database... on the E-Toll website i can do so when typing in any registration number... ego the website/system is not PAPI complaint. Who is going to lay a charge? >:D

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2013, 09:59:03 am »
PAPI states that one should not be able to obtain another persons information from any electronic database... on the E-Toll website i can do so when typing in any registration number... ego the website/system is not PAPI complaint. Who is going to lay a charge? >:D

Papi wag vir jou....   :biggrin:

Which website is that? Link?

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2013, 10:01:15 am »

Damn... I meant POPI legislation! :imaposer:
http://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/bills/B9-2009_ProtectionofPersonalInformation.pdf

http://mg.co.za/article/2013-09-03-crib-notes-popi-is-here-for-you

Our website guys had to ensure that no one can obtain student info by just typing in a student number, you have to use ID number and passwords now. But here is a semi government website that is clearly not compliant.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:14:55 am by RobC »

Offline alanB

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2013, 10:25:34 am »

http://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/bills/B9-2009_ProtectionofPersonalInformation.pdf

Our website guys had to ensure that no one can obtain student info by just typing in a student number, you have to use ID number and passwords now. But here is a semi government website that is clearly not compliant.

Please send that info to OUTA, they will know what to do with it  :thumleft:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2013, 10:42:47 am »

Please send that info to OUTA, they will know what to do with it  :thumleft:
Popped it on their FB page.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51:09 am »
Sorry, I meant what is the link to the website where you can put in the registration number to see the toll fees?

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:01 am »
There is an interesting dilemma here.

To protect your personal information they need to change the website and allow you to register to access it

But forcing you to register to acces information of alleged pictures of you, allegedly using their toll gates can't be enforceable

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2013, 11:48:48 am »
Sorry, I meant what is the link to the website where you can put in the registration number to see the toll fees?

Found it.
But you have to click it twice. Weird.
https://www.sanral.co.za/e-toll/portal/PayTollFeesUnregisteredUsers.aspx

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2013, 11:56:27 am »
Stand up and put your one foot back to obscure your plate.

;D ;D ;D

Offline mox

• Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2013, 12:01:50 pm »
Chain wax on plate, charcoal dust from empty charcoal bag  :biggrin:
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2013, 12:11:49 pm »
There is an interesting dilemma here.

To protect your personal information they need to change the website and allow you to register to access it

But forcing you to register to acces information of alleged pictures of you, allegedly using their toll gates can't be enforceable
No dilemma at all if they use the ID/Registration number combo. Then there is no need for you to register but you can check if someone has cloned your plate. Your plate number may be available to be copied while you park but your ID number should be more secure.

Offline Bundu

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »
The essence of OCR is the tollerences and patterns used for recognition. These vary from engine to engine. The software has to firstly "find" your number plate in the image. So placing your numberl plate off centre will challenge the engine under load. It also has to differentiate any other letters on the vehicle from the "Number Plate" characters. There is a limit on the tollerence of angles horizontally - some software use deskew techniques to do so but are also places extra strain on the engine and costs machine time - very taxing under high volume and load conditions. Spacing between characters are also important. For eample if your's was "G  P" versus "GP" signifies two "words" versus one. The clarity of the letters - i.e. faded letters also cause strain and may fail pattern matching.

:sip:

what about placing a few stickers on your card close to the number plate, using the same font and colour?

"123 fok etol gp"or something?

would that confuse the OCR engine?  :laughing4:

like so

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:04 pm »
I hear the the communication workers union is not going to deliver etoll bills as part of a strike/go slow.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:53 pm »

Found it.
It's there but not there, sort of as if they want you to register first. >:D

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2013, 01:37:12 pm »
Yup. If one has someones reg number , one can see how much someone owes

Privacy act my arse hahahahahah
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2013, 01:42:40 pm »

I was wondering why, if these cameras are so good, it would be necessary for e-tags at all.

If, for arguments sake you had an account with Sanral and your number plate is listed there, why would they need the E-tag to make the connection and not just use the number plate recognition software.

It seems from the above, that it is still a lot more difficult to do it via the camera?

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »

Found it.
It's there but not there, sort of as if they want you to register first. >:D

Tried it but it says that the function has been erased?