Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Technical questions on E-Tolls  (Read 1476 times)

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Technical questions on E-Tolls
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »
This thread is inspired by the competition thread for doffest question except i have some legit questions that i can't find answers to. all answers real and not so real will be appreciated.

1. how will the camera's work in the traditional afternoon thunderstorms? i can't even see the car in front of me never mind its license plate.
2. if your bike is on a trailer and it has an e-tag will you be charged? this question is in the competition thread but i believe that it is a valid one.
3. if more than on vehicle is driving alongside another when they pass beneath the gantry which one will the camera's pick up and charge? similarly how will bikes that are lane splitting be detected? or if two cars or more straddle the lines so that each on is in half a lane what will the system do?
4. how long will it be before it is legislated that they can use the gantries for speed over distance enforcement? from what i understand the system already does this but it is not legal (yet) to use it for law enforcement.

what other questions can you think of?
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline RedRo

• Bike: BMW F700GS
Re: Technical questions on E-Tolls
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »
W.r.t. Q4 - Already in use in the Western Cape on the R27 (speed over distance enforcement), surely they will add this to the list as soon as possible to add to the revenue stream.

Online iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »
Based on my basic technical knowledge of traffic cameras;

Question 1
That's what the UV light is for; makes your number plate light up like a christmas tree. The fact that they look more down than forward helps too. I think it would take a seriously freak storm to beat those cameras.

Question 3
There's a camera for each lane, and they're constantly scanning for plates in their full field of view. I'm not sure what the delay between frames is but cars/bikes "sharing" lanes would be picked up easily.

Personally I can't wait for them to employ the speed over distance enforcement. I'm tired of being nailed for overtaking at 130kph
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:41 pm »
In Order to answer these question I have to admit that I do have etags on most of my vehicles and put up with all the abuse that comes with that but here goes:

1/ They work with UV lights and cameras that penetrate through the thickest murk. This morning there was thick fog on the N1 in PTA but my plate was picked up clear as day in the online photo.
2/ I have towed a 4 bike trailer containing 3 x bikes 2 of them with etags and the towing vehicle also fitted with an etag. When I checked online the whole rig was detected and I was only charged for the towing vehicle. IE bikes on trailers as well as the trailer was ignored. However this was just a test for my part and I would normally remove tags from bikes and cover numbeplates when towing rather that try and sort out a mess later.
I have also loaned my bike etag to my lady friend and the system picked up tht it was on her bike and listed my etag number on her bike. Seems that the detection system is extremely directional and even picks me up when lane splitting.
3/Think I answered this in 2??
4/ What the other guy said.
Where are my shorts??

Offline Wildcoast

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:41:34 am »
My bike licence needs to be renewed in January, can they refuse to renew and force me to get tagged?
What are my options here, really do not want this thing!!!

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:39:55 am »
My bike licence needs to be renewed in January, can they refuse to renew and force me to get tagged?

They cannot legally do this. AFAIK, there have been no reported cases of this happening.
But you can't trust these bastards to stick to the law, given the number of lies they've been caught out on.
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline Bundu

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:03:16 pm »

:thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:03:45 pm by Bundu »

Offline toucan

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:28:11 pm »
thanks for the replies. helps to have decent info.

what is the maximum speed that the gantries can pick up? there is a youtube floating around of a corvette doing 200mph during testing of a texan tolling project.
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline Bundu

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:36:02 pm »
I wonder how e-tolls handle these temporary printed and hand completed number plates?

Could be another way to stuff the system around.....  :pot:

Offline Sprocketman

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »
Here is another poser, if you reply with unsubscribe or stop to the SMSs they send, legally (according to the ECT act) they have to stop sending you any notices. You also have the right to know where they got your number from as technically this would be unsolicited goods, services or communications (unless of course you have signed up and agreed to their terms & conditions).  :pot:

Offline Beebop

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:29:43 pm »
OK theoretical question.
I have 2 cars which I use alternate weeks.
I have an e-tag for each.
Each week I user approx R150, so for the month R600.
But because I'm tagged I am capped at R450.
Not so, because I use different cars, I dont get the benefit of the cap.
What cant multiple vehicles be attached to one e-tag ?

Offline Bundu

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:37:06 pm »
I don't think our aim is to fine tune e-tolling - we want to get rid of it

Online Chukudeer

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 03:08:01 pm »
Hehehe. Well said  :spitcoffee:
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 09:08:55 pm »
I wonder how e-tolls handle these temporary printed and hand completed number plates?

Could be another way to stuff the system around.....  :pot:
Interesting idea!... If you get stopped by the boere, you tell them that your plate fell off, but in order to remain legal (ish) you made up a temporary registration. Surely that indicates that you don't want to "break the law"? :3some:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic