Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is it Sustainable?  (Read 678 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Is it Sustainable?
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:26:22 pm »
Yes, etolls are live now. And we are being threatened with all sorts of penalties and stuff if we don't comply.

The system in place is brilliant, lets be honest. Its a state of the art, latest technology, wunderkind.

Where am I going with this?

Well, around 1996 the first MacDonalds opened in Pretoria. After all the hype and fanfare I visited them on their opening day. I went through the drive-through as there was a queue out the door for counter service. I stopped at the first billboard, decided on a BigMac. Drove to the first window, and ordered. My order was taken promptly, I was asked if I wanted fries, and also something to drink. I decided why not. Then it was on to the second window, where my cash was taken and change and a receipt issued faster than I could count the change. At the third window I was still slowing down when a bag started appearing at the window, and my order was done.

I took my bag with the order, and as I was pulling off a guy asked me in a "Southern Drawl" "was that fast?". Well, yes, that was fast. And it was good.

That was in 1996. Now, if 2 of the three windows are working, its a lot. And how many times I have been told to go park, they will bring my order (I refuse, fuck them, I will wait at the window until my order is ready).

You see, when the Yanks were here, and they were supervising and running things, then it was good. But soon they left, leaving local staff in charge. Who fucked it up, big time. Between the unions, and the attitude, whatever, the first MacDonalds encounter I had will never be repeated, not in SA.

So I say, lets keep up with the civil disobedience, and lets see how long they are able to keep sending out bills in time, and keep up the facade of professionalism. Cameras will break, or be stolen or vandalised. But very soon the crews that will have to replace them will be "on lunch" at the KFC, or somebody will have forgotten to order new ones, "eish, they are on back-order". Josephine was on leave...

The SAPO will get gatvol of all of the extra work, and bags of SANRAL letters will be "lost" somewhere...

I've singled out MacDonalds in this analogy. But I challenge anyone (ICM come in?) to look at any company / institution / state department and compare them to what they were, and what they are now, in the service department. I don't believe that there will be any takers...

It won't take long, hang in there...
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
Re: Is it Sustainable?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »
I like your post. Big time like  :thumleft:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline alanB

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:04:50 pm »
That's the entire point of passive resistance, just accelerate that process.

My honest opinion on this is, that based on the experience around the globe - where etolls have a very poor financial track record - it wont be a success - simply because people REALLY resent that bloody bill in the post after a while.  And like any household on a fixed budget, start doing what they can to control their costs.

If you watched that recent video analysing the financials - it was estimated, that just like Eskom (except worse), they will have to increase the tolls by 29% per annum - that means it doubles every two and a bit years!  How long do you think people will tolerate that?

So I think there is a high likelihood of this thing becoming an albatross around the neck of SANRAL in the long term.  But the problem is that we will have suffer along with them all the way - how ever long that takes. 

During that time, the fat cats enjoy the "collection fees" - those collect fees are the only reason why this thing is being driven in regardless of any opposition IMO - on no other tax can private individuals legitimately siphon off a fixed percentage of all taxes collected!

So I don't think its sustainable in the long term, the economy simply cant support this sort of unnecessary cost.

But if we wait until it ultimately judders to a halt or becomes a total mess like Eskom, or people FINALLY decide they actually dont just want to comply with every little scheme the government dreams up, we will have to suffer all along the way...

Much better to just kill it now while we have the opportunity.  :thumleft:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Bike_Buddies

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:20:09 pm »
Yes, etolls are live now. And we are being threatened with all sorts of penalties and stuff if we don't comply.

The system in place is brilliant, lets be honest. Its a state of the art, latest technology, wunderkind.

Well, around 1996 the first MacDonalds opened in Pretoria. After all the hype and fanfare I visited them on their opening day. I went through the drive-through as there was a queue out the door for counter service. I stopped at the first billboard, decided on a BigMac. Drove to the first window, and ordered. My order was taken promptly, I was asked if I wanted fries, and also something to drink. I decided why not. Then it was on to the second window, where my cash was taken and change and a receipt issued faster than I could count the change. At the third window I was still slowing down when a bag started appearing at the window, and my order was done.

I took my bag with the order, and as I was pulling off a guy asked me in a "Southern Drawl" "was that fast?". Well, yes, that was fast. And it was good.

That was in 1996. Now, if 2 of the three windows are working, its a lot. And how many times I have been told to go park, they will bring my order (I refuse, fuck them, I will wait at the window until my order is ready).

You see, when the Yanks were here, and they were supervising and running things, then it was good. But soon they left, leaving local staff in charge. Who fucked it up, big time. Between the unions, and the attitude, whatever, the first MacDonalds encounter I had will never be repeated, not in SA.

So I say, lets keep up with the civil disobedience, and lets see how long they are able to keep sending out bills in time, and keep up the facade of professionalism. Cameras will break, or be stolen or vandalised. But very soon the crews that will have to replace them will be "on lunch" at the KFC, or somebody will have forgotten to order new ones, "eish, they are on back-order". Josephine was on leave...

The SAPO will get gatvol of all of the extra work, and bags of SANRAL letters will be "lost" somewhere...

I've singled out MacDonalds in this analogy. But I challenge anyone (ICM come in?) to look at any company / institution / state department and compare them to what they were, and what they are now, in the service department. I don't believe that there will be any takers...

I'm willing to take you on your draw

Look at yourTax return 9 years prior to today

How did you/ moneykeeper filled your return?

How did you / steeler filed your return in 2013

If you need to challenge me on this feel free

Oh by the way

When last did you renew your Passport or Id for that matter??

I'm waiting

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:21:51 pm by Bike_Buddies »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:28:59 pm »

Oh by the way

I'm waiting

:imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Ok...

Tax. I have always just gone into the SARS office with my IRP5 and other docs, and let them sort it out. But I also havent paid a cent of income tax since 2008. And thats LEGALLY, I work outside of the SA borders and I comply with the tax directive in that regard.

My first passport I got in 1991 in Louis Trichardt. Went in the one day and filled in the paperwork, went back THE NEXT DAY and collected.

My last renewall was done at Akasia, took just over two weeks.

Havent done an ID application in many years, so can't comment on that.

BB I know where you are coming from, and there are instances where things are going well, maybe even better, but they are few and far between. The exception rather than the rule. Agree?
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Bike_Buddies

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »

Oh by the way

I'm waiting

:imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Ok...

Tax. I have always just gone into the SARS office with my IRP5 and other docs, and let them sort it out. But I also havent paid a cent of income tax since 2008. And thats LEGALLY, I work outside of the SA borders and I comply with the tax directive in that regard.

My first passport I got in 1991 in Louis Trichardt. Went in the one day and filled in the paperwork, went back THE NEXT DAY and collected.

My last renewall was done at Akasia, took just over two weeks.

Havent done an ID application in many years, so can't comment on that.

BB I know where you are coming from, and there are instances where things are going well, maybe even better, but they are few and far between. The exception rather than the rule. Agree?

Waar

Ek vir een kan nie vir n f@k n Munisipale kantoor hanteer nie

Ek sal f@kken goed breek as iemand vir my sÍ "eish sir, you need proof of residence"

F@k weet, ek sit voor jou om my "proof of residence" te kan certify

Al wat ek probeer sÍ, is ek stem saam Jou dat die hele flippen Gov fooked is

Maar om te veralgemeen is ook nie altyd die beste opsie nie

ps: jy moet vasbyt aan daai "NO" tax want daai dinge is besig om erg vinnig te verander

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:37:54 am »

In PE a few years back they put up electronic display boards with the number of parking spots still open in the various carparks at the beach. They also put up electronic boards displaying tourist information about sea temp, swell condition, special warnings and notices.  etc. All this a great cost.

After about a year they were all broken.

Same thing.