Is it Sustainable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
Yes, etolls are live now. And we are being threatened with all sorts of penalties and stuff if we don't comply.

The system in place is brilliant, lets be honest. Its a state of the art, latest technology, wunderkind.

Where am I going with this?

Well, around 1996 the first MacDonalds opened in Pretoria. After all the hype and fanfare I visited them on their opening day. I went through the drive-through as there was a queue out the door for counter service. I stopped at the first billboard, decided on a BigMac. Drove to the first window, and ordered. My order was taken promptly, I was asked if I wanted fries, and also something to drink. I decided why not. Then it was on to the second window, where my cash was taken and change and a receipt issued faster than I could count the change. At the third window I was still slowing down when a bag started appearing at the window, and my order was done.

I took my bag with the order, and as I was pulling off a guy asked me in a "Southern Drawl" "was that fast?". Well, yes, that was fast. And it was good.

That was in 1996. Now, if 2 of the three windows are working, its a lot. And how many times I have been told to go park, they will bring my order (I refuse, fuck them, I will wait at the window until my order is ready).

You see, when the Yanks were here, and they were supervising and running things, then it was good. But soon they left, leaving local staff in charge. Who fucked it up, big time. Between the unions, and the attitude, whatever, the first MacDonalds encounter I had will never be repeated, not in SA.

So I say, lets keep up with the civil disobedience, and lets see how long they are able to keep sending out bills in time, and keep up the facade of professionalism. Cameras will break, or be stolen or vandalised. But very soon the crews that will have to replace them will be "on lunch" at the KFC, or somebody will have forgotten to order new ones, "eish, they are on back-order". Josephine was on leave...

The SAPO will get gatvol of all of the extra work, and bags of SANRAL letters will be "lost" somewhere...

I've singled out MacDonalds in this analogy. But I challenge anyone (ICM come in?) to look at any company / institution / state department and compare them to what they were, and what they are now, in the service department. I don't believe that there will be any takers...

It won't take long, hang in there...