Government wasting tax payers money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
The whole argument from the government regarding etolls is that there is  no other way to pay for the freeway upgrade and maintenance.

The minister of finance stood up in parliament and said in passionate tones, almost tearing his clothes saying "the fiscus could not stand it!".

But EVERY SINGLE DAY there is an article in the press about how the government just keeps pissing away our money through lavish spending on them selves, incompetence (ie appoint some twit into a position at some ludicrously high salary, and then he either makes stupid decisions, costing money, or they need to hire "consultants" at even more ludicrous fee structures to do his job for him/her), etc etc.

So I would submit our country SHOULD EASILY BE ABLE TO PAY FOR ALL INFRASTRUCTURE OUT OF EXISTING TAXES WITHOUT ANY NEED TO INCREASE THE FUEL LEVY OR IMPOSE TOLLS!

All they need to do is do their jobs and eliminate wasteful expenditure or fraud and corruption.  If they just put half the effort they did into that instead all the time and effort in forcing through etolls, they would have paid for the roads ALREADY plus be a few billion in the black over and above that! ( we are wasting 25bn a year according to their own report from 2012, so by now they could have paid for the freeway improvements and have 20 odd billion in the bank spare!) 

When etolls were first announced I started collecting press releases which showed this.  It quickly became quite a big job on its own and stopped after a while  but I thought it might be useful to creat a place just to drop these articles to remind ourselves from time to time why the whole thing is just so wrong!

A few guidelines:
1) Please copy and paste the actual article, not the link, because the links will eventually go dead.
2) Include the source, date  and person who wrote the article - so that the source is clear and we give due acknowledgement to the publishers and author.
3) Stick to info in the public domain.