Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The two dinosaurs take a trip - HIGHWAY TO HELL  (Read 4334 times)

Offline MegaPix

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
    • Kobus Schoeman Photography
Re: The two dinosaurs take a trip - HIGHWAY TO HELL
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 10:31:41 am »
Jis but I like to sit and lees this RR.

Awesome places you went to.  Dankie vir die SHARE solank
Kobus Schoeman
www.mega-pix.co.za/blog
www.ksphoto.co.za
Bryanston, Sandton 
Bike:  First ever - Big Boy 200  XTG, KLR 650, latest buy... Suzuki DL650 V Strom

Offline ALLEN I

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 10:35:02 am »
Jis but I like to sit and lees this RR.

Awesome places you went to.  Dankie vir die SHARE solank
Jis like its a pleasure, glad you enjoying it.

Lees verder gaan eers n sarmie maak, ek is nou stukkend honger.
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 11:43:53 am »
Now to find Fontein Gaste Plaas, which road to take sweat starts running, pulse leaping, ok, ok talking kak again, only one road forwards so we take it, only to find this.

And this

And most IMPORTANTLEY the second best thing to a mans best friend
                                       THIS

I'm saved its the best sign I've seen so far.
The Gods are smiling at me.

The restaurant / shop / oh what the hell, you eat there and buy all your "gootes" you need there.
Get a few cold ones down. Needed it as the roads were treacherous. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

And of course a few random photos, for you ous to see.

See random photos

Cool hey, especially those two bikes

We even found this poor dude trying to impress his lady. He got the cold shoulder. Wonder what kak he jagged on. He, He.
Probably had one to many cold ones the night before.

Now I had in my weakest hour booked us two caravans to sleep in. While making this appointment I only had one cold one in me at the time, if I had two cold ones in me I probably would not have made this big, big mistake. Should have done the tent thing.

Ian's humble abode, he was (glad nie impressed) with his luxury dwelling. (Check the face.)

My humble abode. At least my dwelling was more luxurious than his.
Both caravans had cockroaches in them, don't like the little buggers and neither does Ian. So we weren't to chuffed.

I was lucky enough to have this ou visiting me, but I scheme he was a bit de mooring with me as I tried to tell him about this lekker jol were having and believe it or not this ou ignores me sommer flat, so I tune to myself, if that's his houding he can maar go sleep outside. Catch the big ou and take him outside and show him to Ian. Scheme maybe him and Ian can have a talk as he might not appreciate my sense of humour, but he "kaps" Ian a flat ignore also. Don't know what his problem was.

Next morning I woke up to check his buddy on the roof inside my caravan and he was even bigger, but he also had a houding.

Our faithful steeds and our humble abodes, suppose it could have been worse. It did, it rained the whole bloody night and Ian's caravans roof leaked.

The ablution block, looks better on the outside than the inside. At least there was hot water.
Had a lekker shower and felt all better.
Decide we got to go and "verken" this joint. Hop on the bikes and off we go.

Me on my bike "verkening" this joint.

Now there's quite a few houses where these families lived, like a school also, and a kerk, even a honeymoon suite. Now I don't scheme the honeymoon possie is cool, I mean what the ...., lets face it by the time you get married you've already done the nasties, so all those "niskierage" ous around are just gonna hear ME SNORING. They gonna scheme hey this ous a woes. Agge nee man not cool. They even got these thingies in front of the possies that tunes you who stayed there and all the other goed they did aswell, makes a ou wonder about some stuff?

Then the bloody rain starts to slowly make itself known, check raindrops on the water.

Cruise back to our humble abodes

Check the bikes out. Dam mine looks pretty but she needs a bath as she's a wee bit dirty, get some lubricant out and lube the chain etc. At least now she feels better...I think you know how these woman can be. Oops sorry ladies.
We go and have a early meal and a few cold ones (Ha, ha and you ous thought I had stopped drinking.)
We had a three course meal for the .....wait for it... , wait for it... the low sum of R100.00 each + the cold ones.
As there ain't much else going on we want to get back to our humble abodes before dark as the road is a bit snoterag don't worry took take away cold ones.
Talk a bit of you know what and some interesting stuff and then call it a night. Not to say that we kipped lekker at all, I kept waking up to check if that big ou had come back and maybe brought some of his buddies with to sort me out. Of course the rain never stopped falling. Ian said he was also up half the night (leaky roof and such) He, he.

Next morning we woke up nogal bright and early to find this

Check out the moerse river.
We contemplate for the next two minutes if we should stay over... yeah right pack up and go.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:15:29 am by ALLEN I »
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 01:00:49 pm »

50meters from the camp site we come across this, Mmmmmm flooded drifts this can be fun, and this was the first of many to cross over.

Now the roads have been levelled with potters clay and they are slippery as hell (Thanks Cape Nature)
WE have to take it slow.

No stopping us, we are on a mission to get the hell out of The Hell.

Ian's in the lead, I scheme once again to myself (Hey man it didn't rain hard by us but somewhere else the heavens have opened up and laid it down). We crossed five flooded drifts to get to the Pass, they were reasonably easy as they had a lot of loose stones in them, the road was also okay. Ok, ok no it wasn't we had a few lekker slides on it but we made it to the Pass without taking a tumble.
At one place I was facing the wrong direction, almost went back, but with my keen sense of navigation at work I rectified the problem, turned around and followed Ian.

So I check out the Pass and now the old brain which has been lying dormant suddenly jumps to life and it likes screams at me, you wanna go up where? Are you ous mad, hell its raining and those rocks look slippery, jees man have you guys not learned from the previous episode. Huh, huh

Now I don't like it when someone or something shouts at me, so I get a bit de donner in and strip my moer, gooi the bike in gear and up I go. The Pass was easy enough as it was very rocky, all I had to do was take it slow and easy. So no problem. Don't know what was my brains problem, get to the top and wait for Ian who's also taking it nice and slow. Ah here he comes. A quick chat, he tells me that he had a chat with the guy in the 4X4, asked him about the crossings. No problem he says, there's quite a few flooded ones but they okay, except we must watch out for one that's about 30meters long and is deep in flowing moerse strong, leans out and drew a line about 15cm below the door handle. Shit I scheme that ones gonna be hard, but we are hard and ous and we know what we doing, so we once again ain't scared (Yeah right I can hear your guys thoughts) and off we go.

The Nightmare Begins.
The roads are slippery as snot, but we crawl along at a fine pace. We don't check out the scenery even though we are not going moerse fast. Our eyes are on the road as we fight like hell to keep the bikes up, doing 1st and 2nd gear and if lucky in some places 3rd.

Got to concentrate, dam we having some nice fun but gotta be careful as one slip up and we could wind up slipping off the side of the Pass.

A drift comes up, Ian wades through it, although the water is deep it comes into his boots this one is no problem so we cross over.

Then we come to our Nightmare.

The previous day

It looked like this with a lot of loose small rocks and pebbles which gave us a bit of a time to get over as they kept on sliding out from under our wheels.

Today

The bloody thing is flooded (major)
Ian starts to cross over, I take off my helmet and it dawns on me there's no way he's gonna get that bike through by himself. The first section of this mother is okay, he tries to keep the bike to the right as its shallower and its the right way to cross over as the water is flowing from right to left, but as he gets further in the current is pushing him more and more to left even though he's trying to steer against it. Its no use, its starting to push the bike towards the drop off of about two feet. My brain which by this time has come to life and shouts to me to het my arse over there and help him. Now as you ous know already I don't dig it when I get shouted at, but this time I let it go and high tail it to catch up to him.
Bike digs in and comes to a stop as the small rocks and pebbles side away not allowing the rear tyre to grip. Ian's holding in for dear life and I can see the strain on his face as he's fighting like hell not to drop the bike or let the current push him more to the left (Can only imagine his thoughts at that moment, I scheme they were the same as mine. To drop the bike or if it washes over the 2ft drop we will loose the bike and most probably kit as well.) He's still trying like mad to get it to move, but it carries on digging down. Water is almost up to his thigh and at the same time I see what the f.... up is. The front wheel has reached the start of the incline. I grip the bike on the left and can see the relief on his face. He guns it and I push, no go she just digs deeper.
So in all my wisdom and from watching those lekker off road shows, I get this brilliant idea. Shout at him to give me a second and in my ultimate wisdom, even without a cold one I force my boot under his rear tyre, hoping it would give the traction we so badly need. Shout at him go for it and as he guns it I push like hell forcing the boot further in, the tyre grips the boot and pulls me back.
My left shoulder under water but she grips and goes forward. Ian pulls her out onto dry (well) dryish land. Ian is so relieved and the old adrenalin is still pumping like a lekker cold one through his veins that he almost lets her fall as he almost forgets to put the side stand out.

Dam that was close.

Now we have to still get the AT to the other side. Now by this time you ous all no that I'm a kort gat we decide that Ian will ride her through. Ians on the AT and off we go again, lady luck is on our side as the AT takes to the water like a duck and starts to go through a lot easier. Okay no side panniers and she's higher, but she's still digging in at places and I have to shove and push like hell and she bows down and goes on, as we get the incline Ian stalls the bike and I scheme to myself oh f... now we in the kak as I thought the plugs had got wet. No problem as Ian hits the starter button she fires right up and inches forward onto dry land.
I scheme the adrenalin was still pumping like mad that's why it went easier, or else we just moerse tough ous.

Now I have to wade back to fetch my tank bag, on the way back Ian comes to my aid and takes the tank bag. I'm buggered I've had to cross this drift now five times pushing and shoving the bikes, battling the moerse strong currents and almost drowning myself, it has taken it out of me. Now I know what you ous are thinking that me and Ian are moerse tough ous and we are WDs and Bikers, but hell a ou can only do so much. I get to the other side, I'm wet, cold, moeg and major longing for a cold one.

Looking back on this it was touch and go. We rest for 10minutes and off I go. Ian once again empties the water out of his boots, why I don't know as he fills them up again at some of the other drifts.

Apparenty some german guys also tried to cross over in a Toyota bakkie 4X2

I don't think they made it as we didn't see them again. As I said we were doing 1st and 2nd gears most of the way, as the bloody road was still like snot.

We encounter a few more drifts along the way.

But no problem, we take them with ease.
Nice photo hey

The rain is falling harder now and is making it more difficult to ride.
Will this bloody road never end I ask myself as by now I'm gatvol of it.

The last stretch and Ian almost drops his bike. Check out the lekker skid marks he made.

We stop off once again at the Cape Nature Pad Staal to get something hot inside of us as the tequila ain't helping. Hot chocolate and a sarmie goes down very well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:26:19 am by ALLEN I »

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »

My hands are frozen.

The Swart Berg Pass is covered in mist.

Visibility about 30meters, but we take the pass doing 60km's is places and it felt like nothing after that bloody Highway To Hell.
Now on our club patches we have an emblem COMING BACK FROM HELL, Well me and Ian have truly lived up to our colours.

Ian

Me

Get to Outshoring and decide to call it quits as we are moeg and buggered from our odeal. We have a bite to eat at the local Spur and say our farewells and such. Ian's only got about 90km's to Groot Brak. (Lucky Dog) Me. I still have 1200km's to go, but then it's all about the ride. Right.
So off we go on our separate ways.

I reach Brits Town and book in at the Trans Karoo Lodge. R200 per night back packers. Once again had a splendid meal there R150 for a lekker meal and a good couple of cold one s to wash the dust down. Then a hot shower and a early night.
Recommend this place, nice and clean even has a swimming pool and most important a safe place to park your bike.

Next morning it was up early as I had to get back to Klerksdorp for my sons birthday.

All in All we had an excellent ride. Had almost everything thrown at us. Dry weather, rain, rain on tar, rain on sand, dry dirt, wet dirt, mud, mud as slippery as snot, mountain passes, washed away mountain passes, washed away roads, a rock almost falling on our heads, an almost fall, a bike almost getting washed away, rain causing my bike to get dirty and most of all a bloody good time.

Distance Travelled: Far
Petrol Usage: Quite a bit
Food: Skaap tjops, no beef tjops and all other lekker food
Beverages: Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Coke, Tequila, Orange Juice and lots of cold ones.   :spitcoffee:   :laughing4:
Tyres: The ones on the bikes.
Cost: Lots

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:30:53 am by ALLEN I »

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »
That's it Guys and Gals hope you enjoyed reading this as much as we enjoyed riding it.

P.S. NO damage to any Fauna and Flora, except where we spun the rocks and mud away and when my bike took a rest.
P.S.S. NO damage to the big ou as we put him in the bush.
P.S.S.S. NO damage was done to any of the beer bottles or cans on this trip.

The two moerse strong dinosaurs
Ian (Ian in Great Brak River) and Me (Allen I)

The faithful steeds

Mine The Honda

Ian's The Yammie

Well thats all guys and gals.
Hope you enjoyed the ride as much as we did.

Till Next Time
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:35:14 am by ALLEN I »

Offline MegaPix

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
    • Kobus Schoeman Photography
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »
Allen, I think we must be lost brothers or something If i listened to your problem with the cold one's?   :thumleft: :thumleft:  :ricky: :ricky:

Awesome report.  Sal graag daai area wil doen eendag.

Kobus Schoeman
www.mega-pix.co.za/blog
www.ksphoto.co.za
Bryanston, Sandton 
Bike:  First ever - Big Boy 200  XTG, KLR 650, latest buy... Suzuki DL650 V Strom

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 02:16:41 pm »
Allen, I think we must be lost brothers or something If i listened to your problem with the cold one's?   :thumleft: :thumleft:  :ricky: :ricky:

Awesome report.  Sal graag daai area wil doen eendag.

Ah I have eventually found my lost brother, glad you enjoyed it.

Awesome place to ride.

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 03:06:29 pm »
 :lol8:...ek het nou lekker gelag en gelees. Dankie vir die deel man........jy kan gerus meer RR's (en nee ek verwys nie na Rum and Rasberry nie.... :imaposer:) doen in die toekoms.

Bleddie goeie werk!!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:08:42 pm by Carrots »
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Bill p

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 03:35:17 pm »
Hey cous, thats the way to write a rr. Not bad for a booitjie from Klerksdorp.

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »

Dankie Allen 1.....lekker saam gery..!! :thumleft:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline arno

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Toppie......Gooi Mielies!!
    • http://www.kkkcycle.co.za
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2013, 05:44:38 pm »
Allen I dont know what you do for a day job but whatever it is youre waisting your talent . You must write broer ! Good rr good sense of humour and nice photos.
Well done !
Fietse van die verlede: BMW F800GS ,BMW 1150 GS, Honda 305 cc, Honda 400 FOUR, Honda 550 FOUR, BMW 600/6

Tans:  Suzuki DR 650

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »
:lol8:...ek het nou lekker gelag en gelees. Dankie vir die deel man........jy kan gerus meer RR's (en nee ek verwys nie na Rum and Rasberry nie.... :imaposer:) doen in die toekoms.

Bleddie goeie werk!!  :thumleft:
Dankie Carrots het gedink om n RR te doen met n bikkie humor in . thinking of doing a follow up on some of mine and Ian's other trips we done. glad you enjoyed it

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 06:50:53 pm »
Hey cous, thats the way to write a rr. Not bad for a booitjie from Klerksdorp.
thanks cous, now when we take a cruise together we can both post one, glad you enjoyed

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »
Thanks Laban glad to have taken you with me
Dankie arno nope im knot telling you ous what my day/ night job is but thanks boet i tried to do some thing a little bit different .
glad you ous enjoyed it , thinking of doing some follow ups on our other rides that Ian posted

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2013, 07:17:58 pm »
What a sweet ride report ouens.

Rode wiff and smaaked it stukkend ek se
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2013, 08:06:25 pm »
What a sweet ride report ouens.

Rode wiff and smaaked it stukkend ek se
Glad that we could take you ous with on the ride, and that you and the ous out there smaaked it stukkend as you say,a bit of humor some times goes a far way. Will try to do the next ones in the same type of lekker stuff as this one

Offline Saxon

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:34 pm »
Thanks for a lekker read!! Wow what beautiful country side!!
MP Tank Slappers

Offline Ian in Great Brak River

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 10:57:26 pm »
You should be on TV my china !

8)
1978. It's 6am, mid winter...two up on a XL 185S ... off to my first casino ever with all of R40 and we've got a full tank of fuel, so enough to get there we reckon.... that's determination...

Old bike: '82 Eddie Lawson Replica
Other bike: '05 Honda Varadero 1000
New bike: '16 Honda Africa Twin.

Offline ALLEN I

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »
You should be on TV my china !

8)
I thought i was boet, bit different to your RR but the same