Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW 1200GS LC vs 800GS technical rides  (Read 3890 times)

Offline G Steyn

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
BMW 1200GS LC vs 800GS technical rides
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:43:00 pm »
I rode my 800 GS today on a piece of road that I travel frequently when treating the kids for a ride on the farm roads.

Thing is, I am planning to replace my 800GS with a 1200LC GS next year, but don't want to regret the move.......

This specific road runs parallel to a stream, and the average speed is 15-20km/h no road, mostly riding on short grass, slippery patches, few rocky surfaces. Frequently riding in cattle tracks.

Now my question is:

How does a 1200LC GS compare to the 800GS when traveling at really slow speed.

How snappy is the throttle, and how easy is it to keep balance whilst SITTING at 15-20km/h?

Any body that have this type of experience on the two bikes?

True LOVE is when you love someone nearly as much as your bike !!!!

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
Re: BMW 1200GS LC vs 800GS technical rides
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:59:49 pm »
 :happy8:
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:21:30 am »
Looking at your Avatar pic, I believe that you will get the 1200 through any of the terrain you mention at 15 - 20 km/h.  Sitting.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:15:04 pm »
Does not look as if you get any meaningful answers here beyond people judging you by your avatar ::)

Influencing factors are the bikes weight and weight distribution; steering geometry, suspension travel and quality; and last but not least your physical build.
I purposely leave your level of skill out of this since you asked how they compare. "Oh you will manage" IMHO is not a valid answer.

Best would be to go and try for yourself. I don't think you would have to put a demo through the precise conditions, a general evaluation how they feel manoeuvring in confined spaces at low speed (Like doing figures of eight) should tell you enough.

Also have a look at tire options. The most capable bike will not do well in technical terrain if you don't get the right tires.

From own experience I can tell you that I very much preferred the Tiger 900 over the R1100GS. Both very similar in size and weight just almost 20 years older than the bikes in your question. The Tiger felt much lighter when for example doing a slow race or a U-turn on tar. It also felt lighter and easier to control on dirt
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bultfontein
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:02:39 pm »
I had a 800 and done a few km on the 1200, not the LC however.

The 800 is a very capable bike in the ruff stuff. The 1200 is very balanced and I would assume if you can do it with one, then both will be good.

Im a bit on the light side, so my choice would still be the 800. But just because the weight thing is more mental than real. And the ground clearance on the 800 is better.

So the best advice would be to test the LC and see what happens. What would be lost in ground clearance should be made up by the torque and power and smile factor of the 1200.

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:25:05 pm »
Does not look as if you get any meaningful answers here beyond people judging you by your avatar ::)

I am in no position to judge anyone.  Sense of humour is a strange thing only understood by those who share the attribute.

Mr Steyn - agree with LeCap and the sand man.  Go try it and form your own opinion.  From the forum, you will get 100 opinions, none of which is yours.

Enjoy the ride!
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:01:25 pm »
I had an 800 before the LC and found that slow technical riding was easier on the 800, 1200 feels heavy.
The 800's throttle is much more sensitive (twitchy) that the 1200
I'm not a riding god so I tend to duck walk sometimes, the heads and crash bars is in the way for that

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:28:33 pm »
Cannot comment but an accelerator module will hugely improve a sensitive 800 throttle.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline G Steyn

Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:36:06 pm »
Thanks guys  I booked a testride today on an LC, and put it through its paces. The 1200 was easier to ride very, very slow to me, but mentally I will have to get over the "this is an expensive bike" thing....
The mass of the bike is of no consern to me.
The throttle at low speeds are much more controlable to me than the 800, even when the 800 already has a module on.

In a nutshell the 800 will be replaced by an LC early next year.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:41:05 pm »
Have fun, I tried both and enjoyed the 1200 LC much more than the 800. You hit the nail on the head though, you have to get over the 'expensive bike' mental block. In 7000k's I dropped the bike three times and had three low speed falls, I think I am over it now :-)

With a bit of practice and the right tyres, you will take the LC anywhere the 800 could go.

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:02:50 am »
Het die naweek n 600km trippie saam die vrou op my 800 gedoen, als op teer (nogals jammer). Ek moet se, die 800 is nie die mees vriendelikste pillion fiets nie. Veral met die standaard seat...Toe ons by die huis kom was ons altwee se boude lam! En vir een of ander rede kry ek pins n needles in my regterhand na so uur op die fiets. Dit gebeur wel nie as ek aleen ry nie, so ek dink my ry posisie verander as daar twee mense op die fiets is. Nou wil ek by my vraag uitkom... Moet ek geld spandeer aan n comfort seat (R4400), of eerder spaar vir n LC?  :patch:
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
Ek het my eerste 800 van Pta na Kaapstad gery. Het geweet die sitplek is bietjie harder. 'n Kraletjiesitplek het die saak reggestel. Nie almal se estetiese oplossing nie maar werk vir my die beste!
Voordele: Konstante lugvloei, masseer jou agterstewe, geen sweet, jy word nooit nat nie, al reen dit.
'n Bikini kraletjiesitplek sorteer die pillion uit!
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:18 am »
The 21' wheel on the 800 is a huge benefit, especially at lower speeds. Because of the larger circumference it rolls over obstacles easier than an 18".

Offline G Steyn

Re:
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »
Makes sence..

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 09:16:59 pm »
Gaan ry 'n Tiger 800 Xc en jy sal weet wat om te doen.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 10:49:25 pm »
Toe my bike in was vir n diens het ek heel dag met n demo 800 rond gery, en in die einde van die dag toe nou n LC ook getest drive en ekt dit gekove. My eerste indrukke was dat hy net so manouverable is soos 800. Ek weet hy kan nie wees nie maar hy voel so. So ek dink ook jy maak die regte keuse.
Ander indruk was dat die LC nie soos n naaimasjien geklink het nie!

En toe moes ek na al die opwinding op my eie walvis huis toe ry........
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline G Steyn

Re:
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 06:14:50 am »
Daai LC het meer woema as wat ek verwag het. Om dit in perspektief te sit. Ek het beide die S1000RR, en die 1200LC gaan toetsbestuur. Die 1200 se voorwiel het my op een slag amper onkant gevang, en dis nadat ek van die 1000rr afgeklim het. Daai 1200LC is 'n wolf in skaapklere.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
Re:
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 07:04:50 am »
Daai LC het meer woema as wat ek verwag het. Om dit in perspektief te sit. Ek het beide die S1000RR, en die 1200LC gaan toetsbestuur. Die 1200 se voorwiel het my op een slag amper onkant gevang, en dis nadat ek van die 1000rr afgeklim het. Daai 1200LC is 'n wolf in skaapklere.

;D

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 09:17:24 am »
I would love to have a run against an LC with my bike! Just to see the difference.

I have a full remis pipe on and a Wunderlich fuel controller. The wunderlich gives a solid oomph at high revs which feels like the same pull the LC has. But the LC has that pull throughout the whole rev range (awesomeness). On a run though I will be at high revs all the time, so I would like to see how my perception compares to reality.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 10:13:51 am »
I would love to have a run against an LC with my bike! Just to see the difference.

I have a full remis pipe on and a Wunderlich fuel controller. The wunderlich gives a solid oomph at high revs which feels like the same pull the LC has. But the LC has that pull throughout the whole rev range (awesomeness). On a run though I will be at high revs all the time, so I would like to see how my perception compares to reality.

Now that would be interesting indeed. I recently rode with my brother and we compared the LC with his GSA. I toyed with him up to 190 and then just pulled away. Worth noting that his bike is stock standard and pre DOHC.