Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: left indicator issue need some help and advise??  (Read 8119 times)

Offline KSMITH

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
left indicator issue need some help and advise??
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »
Hi All

did a nice ride this weekend to ET with some mates, did some off road , but nothing major.

anyway on the way back on tar road today, my left indicator would switch on at every key turn to start and i could not cancel it?  what i figured out to switch it off is to press the right indicator switch so as make it into the hazards indicator mode , ride for a while and then press the cancel button a few times and the indicators would shut off, but after a while the left indicator would switch on by itself- and i would go through the process again to shut it off.

also at times i could not get the left indicator to come on at all when I pressed the button, and other times it would work when pressed, but could not get it to cancel.

seems like it is the switch which is faulty?

question is can these switches be opened? is it a unit that can be repaired or is it a throw away?

thanks
Excipio ferro et interius ignem equum sedere in venti intonuit

Offline JVR

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: left indicator issue need some help and advise??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:24:37 am »
Check PM :thumleft:
Life's not short,it is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Offline KSMITH

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:57:36 am »
thanks got it - gave you a call now now

Offline KSMITH

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:39 pm »
fixed!  thanks

gave it a good clean out and seems good- will need to ride it to check---  but thanks friend
learned something else about these bikes!

looks like the when one presses the button it breaks the circut and the ZFE then switches on the indicator circut

Offline Bootneck

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:37:57 pm »
HI!!!  I also need help with this, mine is doing the same, my left indicator switch worked for a while like on and off, then just stopped working all together...
I have a 2009 GSA, so what do I do?

PLEASE HELP!

Offline KSMITH

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:16 pm »
remove the switch from the bike, and open up the switch by removing the very small silver torx screws, the one is hidden in a recess - you can use a small finework flat screwdriver to remove them.

carefully pull the cover off the switch to open it apart.

take pictures as you go - helps me anyway so i can see how it should go back together.

lift up the rubber skirt sleeve that goes around the offending switch - try not to break it they tear very easily and with a small side cutter work VERY CAREFULLY to use them side ways to pull the piston top part of the switch out- do it in a clear plastic bag just incase it suddenly flys apart- there is a small brass spring in the there.

once you have the piston part out you will see two brass contacts that barely touch each other.

work carefully and clean the two contacts- give the pins a slight tweek to touch each other and carefully re assemble the piston part of the switch.

plug the switch back on the bike without full assembly and test that the switch works, if it doesn't  dont stess take the piston part of the switch out again and work on the contacts again- its a very fine contact point.

when testing the switch be sure to put the indictaor push lever onto it and to make sure that the switch is working and that the actual button does press againts the plunger correctly

its not so bad- you will see and be able to suss out what is going on as you work carefully and you will see that the design of the switch albeit unorthodox is actually very very clever, but its pitfalls are those contacts , dirt and water ingress- the system appears to be a signal switched rather that and actual power 12v switching.

hope this helps

Offline Bootneck

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:00:27 pm »
remove the switch from the bike, and open up the switch by removing the very small silver torx screws, the one is hidden in a recess - you can use a small finework flat screwdriver to remove them.

take pictures as you go - helps me anyway so i can see how it should go back together.

lift up the rubber skirt sleeve that goes around the offending switch - try not to break it they tear very easily and with a small side cutter work VERY CAREFULLY to use them side ways to pull the piston top part of the switch out- do it in a clear plastic bag just incase it suddenly flys apart- there is a small brass spring in the there.

once you have the piston part out you will see two brass contacts that barely touch each other.

work carefully and clean the two contacts- give the pins a slight tweek to touch each other and carefully re assemble the piston part of the switch.

plug the switch back on the bike without full assembly and test that the switch works, if it doesn't  dont stess take the piston part of the switch out again and work on the contacts again- its a very fine contact point.

when testing the switch be sure to put the indictaor push lever onto it and to make sure that the switch is working and that the actual button does press againts the plunger correctly

its not so bad- you will see and be able to suss out what is going on as you work carefully and you will see that the design of the switch albeit unorthodox is actually very very clever, but its pitfalls are those contacts , dirt and water ingress- the system appears to be a signal switched rather that and actual power 12v switching.

hope this helps

Thanks mate!!!  You're and YSTER!  :thumleft:  Worked brilliantly, took a bit of time to figure out whats needed to get it working again, but its working now again, THANKS GUY! 

Offline KSMITH

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:42 am »
cool no worries

other okes have helped me so i like to pay it foward

enjoy

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
This thread came in useful today. Thank you very much!
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 06:38:09 am »

plug the switch back on the bike without full assembly and test that the switch works, if it doesn't  dont stess take the piston part of the switch out again and work on the contacts again- its a very fine contact point.

hope this helps

Added pictures inside KSMITH's text.  Also, to clean contacts use generous amount of electric contact cleaner and paper to rub all the gunk out between them contacts.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline KSMITH

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:58:30 am »
SHARP!

thanks for the pics-  good one.

can this one maybe be a "Sticky"?