Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: LC8 - How fast?  (Read 3646 times)

Offline LostDOG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
Re: LC8 - How fast?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 11:40:52 am »
207 on clock. Then chickened out.

Standard scorps and sprockets.

On dirt I'm fucking fast, especially when drunk and standing!  ;)
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline Katoom

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 12:46:36 pm »
Riding along side 950 SE doing 200 on my GPS
Riding alonside 950 SE doing 148 on my GPS...... while the muther is on his back wheel.

Topspeed is governed by many factors, such as rider weigh, wind speed, wind direction, altitude, air density, tempreture, road coditions, elevation and most importantly the bike setup.

So I reacon comparing the topspeed of different bikes in different parts of the country ridden by different riders are futile.

Take Jabu..., If he's 4ft tall, weighs 45Kg, had a sprocket change and Yoshi pipes fitted and had 1 Litre of fuel in the tank, a 23" front wheel, and a moer-of-a south easter down Sir Loury's Pass he could in all likeliness be doing 250Km/H on the speedo.

And just incase you were wondering ..... the 1200 GS has a higher top end than the Katoom.
And the Kawasaki ZZR1400 is quite a bit faster than the 1200Gs

Personally I think that topspeed on a DS bike is irrelevant, as long as it can darem cruise at 205 Km/h. ;D ;D
Life's too short.

Offline Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 12:56:48 pm »
Riding alonside 950 SE doing 148 on my GPS...... while the muther is on his back wheel.

Topspeed is governed by many factors, such as rider weigh, wind speed, wind direction, altitude, air density, tempreture, road coditions, elevation and most importantly the bike setup.

So I reacon comparing the topspeed of different bikes in different parts of the country ridden by different riders are futile.

Take Jabu..., If he's 4ft tall, weighs 45Kg, had a sprocket change and Yoshi pipes fitted and had 1 Litre of fuel in the tank, a 23" front wheel, and a moer-of-a south easter down Sir Loury's Pass he could in all likeliness be doing 250Km/H on the speedo.

And just incase you were wondering ..... the 1200 GS has a higher top end than the Katoom.

Personally I think that topspeed on a DS bike is irrelevant, as long as it can darem cruise at 205 Km/h. ;D ;D

I agree, I just wanted to know how fast they really are, as it was the first time I really took it to the max (i think) in the time I have had her.  (....have had her....oooohhhh...sounds nice, my mind wanders...mmmm....shit, stay with us, FOCUS!)

Anyway (shivers down my back....HAVE TO FOCUS!) I have had the same experience, that same fcuker wheelied past me and my pillion at 157 (speedo) on his 950 SE.

I agree, the 1200GS is faster than the KTM, no doubt.
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 01:15:15 pm »

rider weight is irrelevant on top speed
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 01:17:27 pm »
surely not irrelevant?

Offline LostDOG

• Race Dog
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 01:21:59 pm »
I agree, not irrelevant. To accelerate a mass of 2X from 205km/h to 220km/h requires a larger force than to accelerate a mass of X from the same to same.
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Caledon
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 01:24:14 pm »
Dit maak 'n moerse verskil, vra my! ;D
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »
I agree, not irrelevant. To accelerate a mass of 2X from 205km/h to 220km/h requires a larger force than to accelerate a mass of X from the same to same.

weight affects acceleration i aint arguing that but top speed is independant of weight per se.

of course a 100kg rider would have more bits sticking out and hence air resistance would increase than say a 45 kg rider like jabu ...

strictly speaking weight is irrelevant in top speed

Offline Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Caledon
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 01:30:10 pm »

weight affects acceleration i aint arguing that but top speed is independant of weight per se.

of course a 100kg rider would have more bits sticking out and hence air resistance would increase than say a 45 kg rider like jabu ...

Its pretty difficult getting to top speed without acceleration........ ;)
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline Claude Deyzel

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 01:31:42 pm »
Done 215km/h on tar, with pillion 202, stupid though, but sometimes can't help it!!!
Weight relevant, pillion weighs 57kg and can feel it clearly!!!
Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Offline LostDOG

• Race Dog
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »

Because of all other factors such as wind resistance, the bike has to work against these things to maintain a speed, thus is in a sense always "accellerating" thus a larger weight poses a bigger workrate requirement, and so blah, blah, blah,...
I give up.

Offline Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Caledon
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 01:39:43 pm »
Done 215km/h on tar, with pillion 202, stupid though, but sometimes can't help it!!!

Show us you're pillion....not many 57kg's around, must be hot! ;D
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline LostDOG

• Race Dog
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 01:43:32 pm »

Maybe his daughter?
 ???

Offline SuperJuice

• I R POZER (with no fooking bike)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: New Hudson (all models)
  • His Eminence & Founder of Boobism
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 01:45:28 pm »

Maybe his daughter?
 ???

Ya but is she hot?  >:D
At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry.

Offline Coala

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 01:52:16 pm »
Weight definitely plays a role.  I get wicket sometimes at a traffic light when one of the super bike guys think they own the road.  Up to a 100 I give him the scare of his life, then somehow I engage reverse  >:(.  But let him have a pillion, and I have a pillion - o by the way mine weighs 57 as well. AND ITS NOT MY DAUGHTER .

Offline SuperJuice

• Race Dog
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 01:53:50 pm »
Weight definitely plays a role.  I get wicket sometimes at a traffic light when one of the super bike guys think they own the road.  Up to a 100 I give him the scare of his life, then somehow I engage reverse  >:(.  But let him have a pillion, and I have a pillion - o by the way mine weighs 57 as well. AND ITS NOT MY DAUGHTER .

Pics please!

Offline Coala

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 01:58:26 pm »
not sure I wanna gooi her to the dogs  ;D  Anyway, have to figure this picture posting thing out. Studying the post now. Coala's are a bit slow 

Offline Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Caledon
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 02:03:10 pm »
Tic Toc Tic Toc Tic Toc..........
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline SuperJuice

• Race Dog
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 02:05:06 pm »
Tic Toc Tic Toc Uiltjie wants to play with his...  >:D

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 02:06:45 pm »
as mentioned accelration is a factor of weight
top speed is not ...

assuming 2 riders have the same body propertions but the one weights 150 kg and the other 45 kg , they will experience the same top speed on a given bike.

this is science ...